New member Anacortes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I envy you guys who live in the Puget Sound area. Those northern destinations are so close for you. For us, we have to calculate in at least a week to get to where you are.

AlaskaProf,
HaHa I see you w the sailboat at the Ketchikan YC and across from the Pioneer Hotel. When we went to K town we usually tied up at the YC but if the weather was too bad we'd get a room at the Pioneer and ride the ferry .. from POW Is.

Blessings on your trip/s

Here we were in K town looking north.

Attachments

• Thorne Bay Visitors Jan 2009 003.jpg
    Thorne Bay Visitors Jan 2009 003.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
While I regard Ketchikan as a charmless burg made worse by industrial tourism, I make exception for the cozy k.y.c. and their quaint shack-on-a-barge clubhouse. We picked it quite arbitrarily--it's next door to the customs dock.

By chance, we arrived on Friday, just in time for Members' Barbecue and they treated us like visiting royals.

GOOD STORY: After dinner, shipmate and I asked where to get a cocktail and were directed to The Wheelhouse. Other guy thought we weren't "tough enough for The Wheelhouse", and told us about the big fight between Smith and Jones just last week in which Smith bit off Jones' nose and spat it on the floor whereupon it was eaten by his dog.

Firstguy replies, "Yeah, but that won't happen again, they have a new policy ....

No dogs."

Last edited:
I envy you guys who live in the Puget Sound area. Those northern destinations are so close for you. For us, we have to calculate in at least a week to get to where you are.

But with a slow boat and being further South, it still takes a while to get there.

My Dad, and I spent the Winter of 1956 tied up in Thomas Basin. It was cold. All the fresh water flowing out of Ketchikan Creek made ice three inches thick.

My Dad, and I spent the Winter of 1956 tied up in Thomas Basin. It was cold. All the fresh water flowing out of Ketchikan Creek made ice three inches thick.

Welcome to the forum, From your history, we should have or may have passed. Home town is Ketchikan. Be interesting to visit were you to arrive here. Keep the forum posted with your plans, whistle a few bars and I will pick up the tune and we shall gather.

To the AKProf- I hear you on Meyers Chuck. My most favorite stop over particularly as our's is a small craft, and Clarence Straits a big piece of water at certain conditions, the Chuck is a welcome hold over spot. Good folks there as well when you become acquainted.
Don't have Cassy Peavy's cell phone # here at the house but will pick it up from the boat and post to you. If you contact her prior to arrival with the intent to overnight you can order hot cinnamon rolls delivered in the morning.
A real treat and be assured they are as large as Cinnabunns and as good.
Al-Ketchikan

Cassy can be reached at (907) 946-8308

Be sure to order the buns with nuts/raisins!

We have a plan to head north next year. A return visit Edna Bay is on my bucket list.
I attended Main School in 56'. Friends with Jerry Germaine, Stan Sallup, Ron Porter, back in the day.

We have a plan to head north next year. A return visit Edna Bay is on my bucket list.
I attended Main School in 56'. Friends with Jerry Germaine, Stan Sallup, Ron Porter, back in the day.

Okay, you were behind me. I was in class of 57- spoke with Ron the other day. Jerry is either 'Gone' or someplace down South. Knew of a 'Ronda' Sallup, could be Stan's wife. I know not Stan. Don't want to steal the thread. If you wish, PM me. Al-Ketchikan

Me neither! Let's see some more shots of her. Don't be bashful.

O.K., so I did find a few more photos taken by the PO. Wish I had some of my own, but we left Anacortes for SOCAL right after the purchase.

Attachments

• DSCN0834 (2).jpg
    DSCN0834 (2).jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN0835.jpg
    DSCN0835.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN0836 (2).jpg
    DSCN0836 (2).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 44
O.K., so I did find a few more photos taken by the PO. Wish I had some of my own, but we left Anacortes for SOCAL right after the purchase.

In a heart beat!! I am at the age that our current boat is enough to finish out my years of boating. How ever, were one of these to drop out of the sky and available my heart would beat and flutter in an attempt to stave off the 2 footits that would come crashing down about my hip pocket wallet location!!

Al-Ketchikan

Back
Top Bottom