The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollygray

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1986 Cape Dory Flybridge
Hi, new member seeking our first boat. Semi-retired, looking to start out on the northern Chesapeake Bay. We are several hours away from the bay and our boat must be usable as an overnighter for several nights at a time. Have looked at some boats, came close to buying one a month ago, but the survey didn't go well. What kind of boat am I looking for ? the million dollar question. Maybe ; Mainship 34 Trawler, Island Gypsy 32, or a Downeast . Its our first boat, really don't want to go over 50K, I realize it will be an old boat . Thanks, Jeff

If possible, look for one that has been in continuous use, even if intermittently. Boats (like most things) hate to sit unused. Things that haven't moved after a while quit ever moving again (without a lot of effort and often expense).

Jeff, welcome to the forum. I think you can find something quite nice for 50K. Have a look on YW around the Great Lakes, fresh water boats and with the American dollar being so strong at the moment, Canadian boats are a steal and can be brought home easily on their bottom down the Erie Canal. Good luck and enjoy the search.

Jeff, welcome to the forum. I think you can find something quite nice for 50K. Have a look on YW around the Great Lakes, fresh water boats and with the American dollar being so strong at the moment, Canadian boats are a steal and can be brought home easily on their bottom down the Erie Canal. Good luck and enjoy the search.
Thanks I will keep that in mind. I wonder about the tax consequences and it might be a little dangerous with a rookie at the helm. Thanks, Jeff

Back
Top Bottom