Old 12-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
new to me 32 year old marine trader

just bit the bullet and signed on the old girl. the surveyor thinks if I fix the 42 very costly action items she will be a good boat
Attached Thumbnails
pic.jpg  
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Normal, good luck!

My list became a rotating list of 50.....every time i get to 50, there is 50 more....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
Guru

I just hope it make it home . oh and I hope I can get one of the heads working and a source of heat would also be nice.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Welcome and congrats! I own a 31 year old marine trader! Totally love her. Be prepared to dump a boat load of money in her! Pun intended!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Welcome and congrats! I own a 31 year old marine trader! Totally love her. Be prepared to dump a boat load of money in her! Pun intended!
Donna still has to install the "Even Keel" pendulum weights on her boat.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:05 AM   #6
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Donna still has to install the "Even Keel" pendulum weights on her boat.
Don’t you love it? Hey at least I got a picture up. Just turn your computer sideways! Lol!!

Actually, I don’t have time to figure out how to rotate it. I have started the gel coat process and want to finish it before the boat parade this Saturday!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #7

City: La Paz, BCS
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Timb,
Congratulations! What a great-looking boat. Don't forget to sign up for vessel assist, or another towing service. You will save some big money if you need assistance.

Cheers, Bill
Old 12-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #8
Guru

thanks everyone
we are leaving tomorrow to attempt to get her home.
I have progressive with towing and I wasn't sure if it counted as a claim if you used it. so I also got tow boat us also.
I have a small tool box ,some electronics barrowed from the other boat .and a 600$ box of parts from American Diesel I hope we make it to oriental by next weekend .

tim
Old 12-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #9

City: Chocowinity, (Cypress Landing) NC
Vessel Name: Boatwright
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Enjoy the trip! I bought a trawler (Camano 31) in Bristol RI this summer and the trip down was awesome! Delaware Bay was rough due to a heavy following sea and wind, but the rest was more manageable. So many great places to take shelter from the weather along the Chesapeake. Favorite marina on the way down - River Forest in Belhaven NC, of course. Favorite restaurants, Sunset Restaurant behind Point Lookout north side of the Potomac and Spoon River in Belhaven. Home Port - Cypress Landing near Washington NC - awesome floating dock system, nicely protected from the wind, most affordable in NC, and great parties! If you're from Oriental, you already know that NC is the best cruising water on the east coast, so many undeveloped waterfront views, charming colonial towns on Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds, easy access to sheltered anchorages and marinas, uncrowded waterways....so much more! Welcome Home to North Carolina!
NCheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #10
Guru

we are planning to go to spoon river . from river forest or dowry creek.
this spring would love to visit Washington on a extended weekend trip. where is the best place to dock for walkers?
we hit the first delay already winds are to high to pull the boat for the bolts in the rudder to be replaced .
the area one I'm most worried about is crossing the Albemarle .
we live in Mebane the boat will live in oriental we bought a slip at Whittaker creek . before we found a boat.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:42 AM   #11

City: Chocowinity, (Cypress Landing) NC
Vessel Name: Boatwright
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Washington town docks are a great place to look at on line, lots of folks come in on the weekends. Look that up, I think on City of Washington NC web site - easy to find. Downtown Washington is fun and beautiful!

Albemarle Sound was pretty easy the day we crossed, 2' waves on the stern - went from just above Great Bridge all the way to the Pungo - ran hard and long. Alligator River Bridge slowed us down about 45 minutes, had planned to make River Forest, didn't want to challenge the crab pot minefields, so anchored instead, made River Forest the next morning for fuel and a long walk after many days aboard. Early morning is almost always best for crossing, so leaving from Coinjock is a good choice. If the Dismal Swamp Canal is open, leaving from Elizabeth City or an anchorage down river is good, may offer a slightly better or worse angle on the wind and waves. Good luck on your homeward journey!
NCheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCheaven View Post
Washington town docks are a great place to look at on line, lots of folks come in on the weekends. Look that up, I think on City of Washington NC web site - easy to find. Downtown Washington is fun and beautiful!

!
Washington is a great stop for a day or a week. We kept our boat there on the waterfront for 3 years, but have recently moved around the point to Cypress Landing after buying a house and slip in the neighborhood. I was a dockmaster in Washington this past summer so feel free to ask questions. Free dockage (no services) or paid slippage at $1.25/nite with electricity and water. Friendly folks, great restaurants, and things to do. You'll enjoy the stay!
Old 12-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #13
Guru

City: Trenton
Only 32 years old?
alormaria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #14
Guru

Thanks we are planning to stay in marinas , need the heat . may need batteries and-or charger it was flat dead when they went to haul it out..charging all night and we are sleeping in the travel lift .but the rudder is repaired.going to try to get in the water tomorrow and maybe get to the Virginia cut.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #15
Guru

Yes 32 it's a 86 38 dc galley down trunk
Old 12-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #16

City: Lake Charles
Vessel Name: SloGo'N
Vessel Model: 1990 Albin 27 FC
Good luck bringing her home. I just purchased a 1984 President 41 and brought her home on the port engine... Starboard injection pump died. Made the trip a memorable one for sure! You will make lifetime memories with every journey!
Treehouse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:56 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Congrats on your new boat.

Treehouse congrats on your new President. We bought a 1987 about 2 years ago. Love it.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #18
Guru

thanks we made it to our home slip in oriental . we brought the mast-boom and flag , burgee poles home to practice refinishing tactics . there in pretty bad shape.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #19
Guru

City: Trenton
Nice thing about an MT is that you are never bored.
alormaria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #20
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
I just hope it make it home . oh and I hope I can get one of the heads working and a source of heat would also be nice.

Congratulations on getting home with her! If the heads are as old as the boat, we prob'ly ought to talk..'cuz just getting one to work well enough to use it for the trip is one thing. Restoring them to long term trouble free condition is another that may or may not cost you more than new toilets...IF it can even be done, 'cuz parts don't always remain available for longer than 10 years after a model has been replaced by a newer version.

So send me a PM when you're ready to discuss...meanwhile, have a Happy New Year!

Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote