Old 01-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #1

City: Comox b c
New guy from Vancouver Island

Hello all , looking forward to a good read here . Spent many years on the water , 10 years off but looking to move back on .
west coast troller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by west coast troller View Post
Hello all , looking forward to a good read here . Spent many years on the water , 10 years off but looking to move back on .
Welcome from just north of you. Any thoughts on what you are planning to move back on to?
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #3

Thanks for that Conrad , have started looking now but my plan is to sell the house and purchase something 42 to 50 foot in the next 2to 3 years . May be sooner if I can find what I want .
Old 01-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for that Conrad , have started looking now but my plan is to sell the house and purchase something 42 to 50 foot in the next 2to 3 years . May be sooner if I can find what I want .
There is lots of info here, and feel free to drop by Blue Sky - "I" dock in Discovery Harbour. Will be back aboard toward the end of February.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #5

Kind of misread your first question . My ideal boat would be the Royal Passagemaker 46 but not sure i could make that happen . Don't know if you know the Coastal Messanger but that is one of my favorites . As I spent many years on the west coast Charlottes i would like to have something that is good offshore , Cape Scott to cape St. James for example . Will swing by your boat next time I am in Cambell River and introduce myself if you are onboard .
Old 01-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Kind of misread your first question . My ideal boat would be the Royal Passagemaker 46 but not sure i could make that happen . Don't know if you know the Coastal Messanger but that is one of my favorites . As I spent many years on the west coast Charlottes i would like to have something that is good offshore , Cape Scott to cape St. James for example . Will swing by your boat next time I am in Cambell River and introduce myself if you are onboard .
Beautiful looking vessel!

COASTAL MESSENGER PAGE
Old 01-27-2015, 10:57 PM   #7
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
The crew on the Coastal Messenger have to be the best fun on their voyages.
I run across them every year while we are both in the Wrangell boat harbor. Truth be known cookies are the token of welcome. I jest but passing the boat on the dock side always brings out a smile and comment of good cheer.
This boat is or should be on every dreamers list of what a well equipped boat should be comprised. Nothing fancy but every item of merit and well chosen for the job.
Thanks for bringing this boat into the conversation. and welcome W.C. Troller many on here will share in your dream.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:50 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Welcome Aboard!!!
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #9
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
WC Troller: I presume you formerly operated an Area F licenced Troller? Very sad what has happened to the industry.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #10

City: Qualicum Beach, British Columbia
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
Troller, welcome aboard!
We're moored in Squamish.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #11
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
WC Troller: I presume you formerly operated an Area F licenced Troller? Very sad what has happened to the industry.

Jim
Yes Jim I was , we have lots of great memories which nobody can take away . Its a corporate shift to another industry for sure . Thanks for recognizing the situation as we had the best small boat fleet in the world at one time but slowly it's going away .
Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #13
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
New guy from Vancouver Island

Quote:
Yes Jim I was , we have lots of great memories which nobody can take away . Its a corporate shift to another industry for sure . Thanks for recognizing the situation as we had the best small boat fleet in the world at one time but slowly it's going away .

I used to run the Test Fishing programs on Fraser Sockeye, back in the day. Mike Medenwaldt, Doug Henderson, Tommy Russel were some of my fishermen you might know. We even had a boat off 2W one year (1990?). I can't remember the fellow's name, but he was president of the Northern Trollers. The Lemmers family are neighbours of mine. Sadly Rob died suddenly 2 years ago now.

With your commercial fishing background, I can see why you like those big steel boats. Reminds me of the Sans Peur and the Titan. You might be happiest in a pilothouse. I got a KK 42 because they are fishing boat "wannabes". Best not to get a former fishing boat because with the hold and all, they are not set up for cruising and conversions are just too costly. Best to buy a purpose built "cruising trawler" type.

I do know of a really nice KK42 available, with a John Deer and twin disc transmission if you are interested. Really well taken care of. Hydraulic windlass and stabilized.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #14
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
WC Troller and Cave, You two sound like a good story. Any background and history of this specific fishing area (F)?
Seine boat crew in early teens, tug boat late teens, hand troller in the 60's and like the rest, after a couple of longer careers, a retired pleasure boater. Would love to have details here or as a new thread.

regards,

Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:13 PM   #15

Thanks JDCAVE , I remember the first year I deckhanded out of Masset and Joan was running the KSAN . That was 1981 so remember both Joan and Rob . Our bread and butter was Fraser sockeye in Area 2 west as was most of the fleet . I did have a look at the KK 42 and would be interested to learn more about the boat that you talk of . Thanks
Old 01-31-2015, 01:37 PM   #16

Hello Al , Area F goes from Cape Caution ( near vancouver Island ) to the Alaska border . I got out when you could fish anywhere in BC with a troll licence , area licencing came in shortly after that . We delivered in Rupert , Masset or Charlotte City and even Ketchican once during a shoreworkers strike . Always ran to the westside before dropping the gear and hated the buck across the top end of the Charlottes in NW as Rose Spit reared its ugly head most days . Fished Cape Chacon and Cape Muzon also . Got out about 10 years ago , went to school for my skippers papers and started towing barges with a BC company and sold my boat to a skipper who runs a boat for Western Towboat and he keeps it in Sitka .
Old 01-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #17
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Welcom, Troller! I'm in Pender Harbour so I don't expect to see much of you until you get a boat, but we're in Duncan Cove, the only aluminum boat there.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:46 PM   #18
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Welcome aboard, from Kitimat.

Ever anchor in Murray Anchorage on the west side of the Estevan Group? Haven't been there yet, but since it's got my name written all over it we'll have to get out there one day.

Looking forward to gleaning some wisdom earned over years on the north coast.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #19

City: cumberland/campbell river
Vessel Name: gumption
Vessel Model: camano troll
WC troller

Welcome we also are moored at discovery marina in the spring and summer. If you are around stop for a chat
anonymous too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:11 PM   #20
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Welcome to TF.
It's a small world. I taught shop in HS at Masset in the early 70s. Spent a week there in 03 as well. We lived in Thorne Bay (NW of Ketchikan) from 06 to 2012. Was born in Juneau too so I've got some SE Alaska and BC Canada roots.

Looking fwd to hearing your comments and perhaps advice on our frequently discussed issues. We've done all the obvious threads like twins v/s singles ect ect so have a look at the archives and get to know us.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote