Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Madison Indiana
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30
New guy from Madison Indiana

I am turning 50 in August and have been boating on the Ohio river for all of my life as my parents were boaters when I was born. I have run from lake Michigan down and back up to as far as Meldahl Lock and Dam on the Ohio river, just above Cincinnati Oh. Planning to trailer my 39 Marinette to Pittsburgh in late Aug. - Sept. time frame to run from Pitt. back to our Marina, Pier 99 at Craig's Creek in Warsaw Ky to finish off the Ohio. I have had several trailer boats, a 47 Harbormaster houseboat, a 466 Bertram FDMY, a 370 Searay for a short time and my favorite boat for river boating is my current 39 Marinette Sedan. As with anyone who Is completely satisfied with the boat they have settled on, it just suits my needs. I can fit into all to holes to maintain everything, systems are simple and reliable and she is relatively fast and durable when desired. The best is I have a good trailer for it and can pull it out for service by myself and or easily use it for one way trips or reallocating. As the wife and I age we plan to spend more time aboard along the way and those needs could out grow my 39, so reading here about Trawlers is just a natural for me as I love boats, the systems that make them tick, and forums for studying and information gathering. I was told of this one a couple of times by a friend and more specifically over the weekend. I only had to lurk here for a few hours to know this was a great place and I really appreciate the level of maturity I am seeing.

Thanks for having me,

Doug Doty...
__________________
Advertisement

Doug Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,997
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. "...level of maturity...?"
__________________

__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member
 
City: Madison Indiana
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30
I guess that is a relative term, I have spent time on other forums with the kids and the go fast stuff and seen a lot of know it all newbi's that I have not come across so much here. Maybe a little time will tell, every forum tends to have it's guys that are worth perking an ear when they contribute and those that are not, this one just seemed a little better than normal.
Doug Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Doty View Post
I guess that is a relative term, I have spent time on other forums with the kids and the go fast stuff and seen a lot of know it all newbi's that I have not come across so much here. Maybe a little time will tell, every forum tends to have it's guys that are worth perking an ear when they contribute and those that are not, this one just seemed a little better than normal.
We like to think that it is a cut above average. :-) Oh, and welcome aboard.
__________________
John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member
 
City: Madison Indiana
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30
Is there any options for getting rid of all the advertising
Doug Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
City: Louisville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Hey Doug, we are just downstream from you in Louisville. We frequent Madison and the Lighthouse Restaurant and all points north from there. We enjoy staying at Turtle Creek Harbor, across from Pier 99 and do the Cincy scene about once a year.

We hope to be cruising the Kentucky River once the lock repairs are completed in October. When the locks open, it will allow you to cruise to Frankfort. We have traveled the Kentucky River all the way to Boonesboro a couple of times back when all the locks were still operating. It's quite beautiful.

Good luck and keep an eye out for us.

David
David O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member
 
City: Madison Indiana
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30
I have seen you boat recently but cant remember for sure, were you at Regatta ? We were the upstream picket anchor boat
Doug Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
Guru
 
City: NC
Country: US
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 636
Do they still run the boat races in Madison?

As a teenager, I used to work on a farm down river from Madison in KY. Every once in awhile we would go to Madison for pizza. Madison was a pretty town.

The guy I worked for was going to develop his land into a subdivision on the river. He built a really nice lake that drained into the Ohio river and built a couple tennis courts to start the development. Then Marble Hill started up and that was the end of his plans. You could see the cooling tower for the nuke plant from his land and that was the end of his plan.

I hope one day we can take a boat on the Great Loop and head up the Ohio to Madison so we can can stop in L'ville and maybe find the farm I worked on.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
TF Site Team
 
Bay Pelican's Avatar
 
City: Chicago, IL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,795
Welcome aboard Doug. We are from the opposite end of the state in Valparaiso. Haven't done the Ohio but the plan is someday.
__________________
Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member
 
City: Madison Indiana
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30
The Marble Hill fiasco had a deep impact on Madison but not much of it remains today, yes it is a great town and being able to live here and boat 35 minutes away in Craigs Creek area is a double win for us.
Doug Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member
 
City: Madison Indiana
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Do they still run the boat races in Madison?

As a teenager, I used to work on a farm down river from Madison in KY. Every once in awhile we would go to Madison for pizza. Madison was a pretty town.

The guy I worked for was going to develop his land into a subdivision on the river. He built a really nice lake that drained into the Ohio river and built a couple tennis courts to start the development. Then Marble Hill started up and that was the end of his plans. You could see the cooling tower for the nuke plant from his land and that was the end of his plan.

I hope one day we can take a boat on the Great Loop and head up the Ohio to Madison so we can can stop in L'ville and maybe find the farm I worked on.

Later,
Dan
Sorry I did not answer your question but yes they still run the races, Miss Madison jumped the gun last weekend or we would of won every heat and had a full sweep but oops'ed in the final. We were part of the safety boats at the event and were anchored at the up stream end of the coarse. One of my passangers spotted a man in the water that was drowning and we dispatched the mobil safety boat on our end and they barely got to him in time, he had fell off a tethered float and could not swim against the current to get back. They told us he was wiped out when they got to him.
Doug Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
Guru
 
City: NC
Country: US
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Doty View Post
The Marble Hill fiasco had a deep impact on Madison but not much of it remains today, yes it is a great town and being able to live here and boat 35 minutes away in Craigs Creek area is a double win for us.
I was using Google Earth to look for the farm and it looks like they tore down much of what was built at Marble Hill. What a waste of money.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
Guru
 
City: NC
Country: US
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Doty View Post
Sorry I did not answer your question but yes they still run the races, Miss Madison jumped the gun last weekend or we would of won every heat and had a full sweep but oops'ed in the final. We were part of the safety boats at the event and were anchored at the up stream end of the coarse. One of my passangers spotted a man in the water that was drowning and we dispatched the mobil safety boat on our end and they barely got to him in time, he had fell off a tethered float and could not swim against the current to get back. They told us he was wiped out when they got to him.

Thanks. The farm owner really loved to go to those races. Good thing that guy was seen.

We knew when a barge was getting near the farm house because the tug's radar would be picked up by the TV. There was this guy on TV with an afternoon TV talk show which I only saw a few times when rain forced us inside. The talk show host was David Letterman. I don't remember what TV station we were picking up and I don't think we got many channels down in the valley in any case, but we did get David Letterman when he was a local yokel.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #14
Guru
 
LaBomba's Avatar
 
City: Beaverton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 819
Welcome aboard Doug, not sure if anyone answered your question on getting rid of the ads. I use a free adblockerplus software. Google it, works good.
__________________
Allan & Ann
Airswift
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
City: Louisville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 101
We came downriver on the Sunday afternoon before race weekend. We go up to Turtle Creek Harbor and go the NASCAR races at Kentucky Speedway. We also manage to get over to Belterra to make our donation to the casino. We tried the new restaurant that took over after Jeff Rudy's. Steak 19 I think.
David O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #16
Newbie
 
Bartholomew's Avatar
 
City: Port of Louisville KY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Muttley Crew
Vessel Model: 47 Gibson
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by David O View Post
We came downriver on the Sunday afternoon before race weekend. We go up to Turtle Creek Harbor and go the NASCAR races at Kentucky Speedway. We also manage to get over to Belterra to make our donation to the casino. We tried the new restaurant that took over after Jeff Rudy's. Steak 19 I think.
Hey Dave, who was protecting your spot on 18 in your absence?
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
City: Louisville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Hey Capt Dave,

Our spot gets commandeered by campers who leave their trash and mysterious little piles of tissue paper. The dogs love the sandy beach though.
__________________

David O is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012