Old 05-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
New Guy Introduction

Hello,

Recently began posting on Trawler Forum and thought I'd introduce myself.

My wife and I own a 1976 40' Bluewater Pilothouse purchased in 2000. The boat, Sandpiper resides in a boathouse in Port Orchard, WA. We cruise the Pacific Northwest June through August. We cruised up to the Broughtons in British Columbia every summer from 2004 - 2017. We currently cruise the Gulf Islands and San Juan Islands for 3 months.

I started boating at age 12, sailing a neighbors C-Lark. Met the legendary Joe Trumbley, who was a boat building instructor at Bates Vocational, and got really into wood boat construction. Built an 8' El Toro at 13 and a 14' Trumbley at 14. Got out of boating at age 16 to pursue cars, motorcycles, women, college, jobs.

Restored several wood sailboats in the 70's, got into salmon fishing in the early 80's and bought an 17' outboard powered fish boat.

Bought a 1981 34' Mainship, "Trombo" in the late 80's and with two Canadians started the PNW Mainship Owners Group, organized rendezvous and helped start the Mainship Forum. Sold the Mainship when we bought the Bluewater.

Everything on the Bluewater, except the Lehman, has been rebuilt or replaced.

I was a store detective during college, retail executive, a video store owner and retired in 1992.

Got bored with retirement, attended a Martime Academy, took the Coast Guard test and received a 25 ton Masters License, eventually raising it up to 100 tons. Worked for a yacht time share company in Seattle part time as a check out skipper, instructor and Captain for Hire. Attended classes and workshops on boat systems repair and maintenance held by equipment manufacturers and UW Washington Sea Grant. Captained a 90' Italian yacht temporary until a permanent skipper was hired.

Started my own boat handling, captain for hire business, started buying, selling and installing marine equipment and became a dealer for Nobeltec, Sealand, Webasto, Rose Point, Magnum, Victron Energy and several other manufacturers.

Retired from the captain and equipment installation business in 2017 but still buy and sell boat equipment.

I started a part time Mobile DJ Business in 1974 performing at weddings, private parties and corporate events. Retired from that in 2017.

I left out a lot of jobs, careers and hobbies to keep this kinda' short.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Welcome!! Some pics of your boat? We like pics.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Guru

Bluewater Pictures

Here are a few.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0001 5 (101).jpg   DSCF0033.jpg   IMG_3831.jpg   IMG_4860.jpg  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Hobe Sound FL
Vessel Name: CORISANDE SHADOW
Vessel Model: PDQ 41
As you have been a dealer for both, I am curious to know if you use Rose Point or Nobeltec on your own boat.
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
Guru

I use the old Nobeltec VNS on a laptop running Windows XP. I've been using VNS for over 25 years and it is the easiest to use and has many features not available on the new Nobeltec products.

If I was to choose between Time Zero and Rose Point, I would choose Rose Point.

I have not used the Rose Point much but it is more similar to VNS than the Nobeltec Time Zero.

I stopped being a Nobeltec dealer a few years ago. I got tired of the constant expensive upgrading of the software and charts every few years. I have clients that I sold VNS to back in the 90's. They had to upgrade software twice and charts three times in the last 25 years at $200 to $600 per upgrade, depending on the number of chart packs.

The Nobeltec company was great when they started by got destroyed by Boeing. Jeppesen bought Nobeltec in the 2000's and Boeing purchased Jeppsen. The software and charts had to be upgraded to C-Map, which Jeppesen also owned. Boeing only wanted the Aircraft applications and let Nobeltec languish for years. Eventually, Boeing sold Nobeltec but retained ownership of the the VNS software forcing Nobeltec to rush Time Zero to market. It was very buggy at first and Nobeltec lost many customers to Rose Point.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard, now if you would only put a bunch of teak trim on your new Portuguese Bridge...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Welcome aboard, now if you would only put a bunch of teak trim on your new Portuguese Bridge...
Have you priced teak lately 4/4 is $25.92 and 8/4 $30.78 per board foot.

And that's unplaned so possibility for waste.

Since you're deteaking your boat, why don't you send me all your teak?
Old 05-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
Guru

If anybody is curious, that bright green kayak looking thing on the PH roof is a 10' Windrider sailing trimaran. It had a 10' beam, carbon fiber mast and I steered with my feet. I sold it because the amas (outriggers) were hard to line up to attach with the main hull in the water, bouncing with the waves.

It was a blast to sail but sort of boring since it did not heel or require hiking out. I had it for 5 years and sold it.

I recently purchased a 12' Hobie One 12 sailboat. It is a monohull sailboat similar to a Laser and will store on the PH roof. Since it is a monohull, should be easy to rig while anchored and hiking will be required.

I took the Hobie out right after purchase for less than an hour and my stomach and chest muscles really got a workout from hiking out and was really sore. It was a blast, I even got it up on plane downwind!
Old 05-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Actually I am not really getting rid of it, just painting it so I don’t have to varnish and it also updates the boat. I really like the look of the painted handrails. The photo also shows my newly refinished teak deck.
Attached Thumbnails
76A4FA01-5F6D-4D14-A544-4C3EC4DCA6D3.jpg   1404A83D-3337-4238-B232-9BE2CF48304E.jpg  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #10
Guru

That looks really good. I need to redo my teakbcockpit floor. It's been 15 years since the last redo.

What did you use? Varnish, oil, Cetol?
Old 05-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The caulking was failing so we recaulked with TDS 440. Then we used Semco Natural sealer. We will see how it holds up but it was super easy to apply, when we finally go to that point after about 250 hours on my knees.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #12
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Syjos,
Welcome to the forum!
My wife and I have boated extensively from Desolation to the Broughtons since 2005 and last year went further north to Prince Rupert. Funny I don't remember ever bumping into you guys. Maybe this year.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #13
Guru

Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Hello,

I started boating at age 12, sailing a neighbors C-Lark.

As a kid, I knew most of the C-Lark owners in Pierce and Thurston county as my Dad was the Clark Boat Company dealer for the area. (Only way he figured he could afford his own C-Lark).

Keep an eye out for me in Gig Harbor.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Syjos,
Welcome to the forum!
My wife and I have boated extensively from Desolation to the Broughtons since 2005 and last year went further north to Prince Rupert. Funny I don't remember ever bumping into you guys. Maybe this year.
We usually anchor in places that are not popular to avoid crowds.

We do spend time at the Nanimo YC reciprocal dock and the anchorage at Newcastle every year.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
As a kid, I knew most of the C-Lark owners in Pierce and Thurston county as my Dad was the Clark Boat Company dealer for the area. (Only way he figured he could afford his own C-Lark).

Keep an eye out for me in Gig Harbor.
That's pretty cool that your dad was a boat guy.

There was a large C-Lark fleet on American Lake in Lakewood. They kept their boats at Bill's Boathoue in Tillicum.

That's where I learned to sail my neighbors boat.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:28 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Welcome aboard TF.
I'm impressed w many of the new Bluewater 40 owners, Members and projects.
Great add to TF glad to have you and your experience along
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:12 PM   #17
Guru

Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
That's pretty cool that your dad was a boat guy.

There was a large C-Lark fleet on American Lake in Lakewood. They kept their boats at Bill's Boathoue in Tillicum.

That's where I learned to sail my neighbors boat.

Yup. My Dad sold just about all those boats. At one point the fleet built a dock in front of Dr. Lane's house and lots of folks kept their C-Larks pulled up on that dock. We did lots of racing on American Lake.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #18
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Is the hull on your boat carvel-built? I know on the Grand Banks I believe 1974 was the year they went over to fiberglass.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I thought that GB changed to glass part way through 1973. Not sure though.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:02 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Yup. My Dad sold just about all those boats. At one point the fleet built a dock in front of Dr. Lane's house and lots of folks kept their C-Larks pulled up on that dock. We did lots of racing on American Lake.
What years did you race there?

I'm guessing that for me around 1963 to around 66. Was Dr. Lanes wife's first name start with an S? My memory of people from back then is getting foggy.