Old 08-13-2018, 11:49 PM   #1

City: Tacoma, WA
Vessel Name: Solitude
Vessel Model: North Pacific Yacht 45
New Guy

I've been perusing Trawler Forum for some time, but we just purchased our NP39 (big move up from a 21' bow rider) and felt it's time to jump into the forum. Highland Mist calls Anacortes home, and the Admiral and I would love to hear from all, particularly PNW boaters. We've done some venturing into the San Juans and are looking forward to a longer trip over Labor Day (time off is precious). Having the larger (to us) boat has already been quite the learning experience, but all lessons have been positive!
Highland Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:19 AM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Welcome aboard! You need a bigger anchor. Don’t ask how I know, just post the size and type of anchor you currently have and numerous forum members will tell you why it’s the wrong anchor and much too small.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:56 AM   #3

City: New Rochelle, NY
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
Welcome aboard
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:35 AM   #4
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Welcome, and post pics of your new boat!
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #5
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Welcome!

Did you buy Datenight?
Old 08-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Welcome aboard! You need a bigger anchor. Don’t ask how I know, just post the size and type of anchor you currently have and numerous forum members will tell you why it’s the wrong anchor and much too small.

Also, you'll need to let us know how everything the previous owner did was awful and how your repairs are far better.

Seriously, welcome and congratulations on your new boat. The Trawler forum is a wealth of information... just tread carefully when asking about anchors. Enjoy!
Old 08-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Welcome New Guy.

I’m down in Gig Harbor and own a North Pacific 43. Looks like we will be up in the San Juans the first two weeks in September. If you see us, say hello.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #9

Thanks, everyone! No, we didn't buy Date Night - she was Highland Myste - purchased out of Canada. We just felt the need to make a slight name change. dhays, we keep her in Anacortes, and will be tooling around the San Jans around then - we'll just be on the lookout for a classy boat!

Naw, don't think I'd gripe about the previous owner's updates (but I get your poke in the ribs!) - he seems to have taken good care of her. I did have to pull the radio and send it back to Raymarine for a new MMSI...figuring out that process was a bit of a pain, but it's a work in progress now. I don't understand, as complex as systems are, why I can't over-ride the MMSI on my own. Seems like a minor cash cow for Raymarine and similar makers.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:04 PM   #10
Guru

Someone will chime in that knows the answer, but my guess is that the MMSI issue is one of regulation rather than just manufacturer greed.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #11

Dave:
If someone can post the regulation that requires me to send a radio back to the manufacturer for reset, I'll willingly concede the point...I have to admit that the requirement does smell of Government intervention. I fail to see how I can update virtually every device I have at home or work either online or via bluetooth, yet I have to send a radio back to the manufacturer for reset.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:35 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Mist View Post
Dave:
If someone can post the regulation that requires me to send a radio back to the manufacturer for reset, I'll willingly concede the point...I have to admit that the requirement does smell of Government intervention. I fail to see how I can update virtually every device I have at home or work either online or via bluetooth, yet I have to send a radio back to the manufacturer for reset.

I get it.

I did find this about changing the registration of an MMSI. If I understand it, you can/should change the registration information for the existing number that is input into the device. I may be reading it incorrectly however.

“How to Update or Change an MMSI Registration

If your MMSI registration information or contact information changes for any reason, you must update your registration. If you sell your DSC-equipped radio or AIS or the boat these devices are mounted on, you must cancel your MMSI registration and should inform the new owner of the need to reregister the MMSI. This is necessary to ensure that the Coast Guard is able to contact the right persons if a distress situation were ever to occur. These registration changes can be accomplished by contacting the organization or agency which originally registered your MMSI. If you do not know which organization registered your MMSI, you can identify that organization by comparing your existing MMSI against those listed in the document MMSI ship station blocks allocated in the US (updated 20 June 2018).”

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-19-2018, 03:03 PM   #13

I think one of the issues may be that the boat was previously registered in Canada. Someone please chime in if I get this wrong, but I thought they "registered" under a different system, and it would be necessary for me to get a "US-issued" number anyway.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #14

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Welcome Aboard. I've always liked the NP's. Post pictures!
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #15
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Welcome, have fun travels with new boat. We are currently enroute to the NP rendezvous, starting Tuesday at Genoa Bay.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Welcome, have fun travels with new boat. We are currently enroute to the NP rendezvous, starting Tuesday at Genoa Bay.

Have a great time Dan. My wife and I are going to miss being there this year. We had such a good time last year. I learned so much from all of you.

Give my regards to the folks there.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-01-2018, 12:18 AM   #17

City: Aposentillo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Mist View Post
I think one of the issues may be that the boat was previously registered in Canada. Someone please chime in if I get this wrong, but I thought they "registered" under a different system, and it would be necessary for me to get a "US-issued" number anyway.
Yes and you will want to look into the FCC ship station license & restricted radio operators permit...$200 for 10 years. Here's a link:
https://www.nmea.org/content/technicalnot/fccmmsi.asp
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote