Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: New Orleans
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 445
New to forum, 53' Choey Lee Efficient

Hi to all, new to the site but am a bit of an old salt. My real name is Ian and I was born in a little fishing village on the East Coast of Scotland. Grew up around wood and steel trawlers like the Millers of Pittenweem style. Gotta love them.
I have been a professional mariner and sailed the word having circumnavigated more times than I would like to admit as the navigation officer on (mostly) tramp ships. I also worked as a commercial salvage master for more than ten years. Shore bound, I was a commercial marine surveyor a job that I am having to give up due to issues with my heart required multiple surgeries.

So, heading in to my dotage I was looking for an interesting boat to live on and travel around like an old shellback. I gave up sailing when I couldn't handle the cramped quarters, constant climbing up and down or grinding on winches.

I came upon a slightly neglected Tom Fexas designed Choey Lee 53' Efficient Yacht about a year and a half ago. Bought it and have been working on the restoration and updating of the boat. The boat had great bones and has shined up nicely. Am about finished, maybe about three months more to go. Then its off on some adventures, where ever I can find them.

Although the home port is New Orleans, where I live, the boat is in Kemah, Texas and I live aboard her three weeks of the month. Am in the process of selling my condo in preparation of full time living aboard.

So thats me and my boat. I have poked around the site a bit and am really impressed with the depth of knowlege and enthusiasm here. Even though i have been around boats all my life I find all kinds of neat and new (to me) info here. Look forward to continuing my maritime education here.
I will try to post a pic here although electronics are the least of my skills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	47153  
__________________
Advertisement

McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
City: New Orleans
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 445
So, as I said, digital age is not my strong point. The photo was right way up on my iPad. Don't know why it posted upside down. i will refrain from posting more pics til i figure that out.
__________________

McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Curmudgeon
 
BaltimoreLurker's Avatar
 
City: Stoney Creek, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,631
That's a nice looking boat you have there! Welcome aboard.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Nice looking boat. Enjoy!
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
Ted
Guru
 
Ted's Avatar
 
City: Campbell River
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
So, as I said, digital age is not my strong point. The photo was right way up on my iPad. Don't know why it posted upside down. i will refrain from posting more pics til i figure that out.
That,s OK, looks nice.
the Aussies and NZ'ers should see it as normal.

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
pɹɐoqɐ ǝɯoɔlǝM
'sƃuᴉʇǝǝɹפ
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Hi to all, new to the site but am a bit of an old salt. My real name is Ian and I was born in a little fishing village on the East Coast of Scotland. Grew up around wood and steel trawlers like the Millers of Pittenweem style. Gotta love them.
I have been a professional mariner and sailed the word having circumnavigated more times than I would like to admit as the navigation officer on (mostly) tramp ships. I also worked as a commercial salvage master for more than ten years. Shore bound, I was a commercial marine surveyor a job that I am having to give up due to issues with my heart required multiple surgeries.

So, heading in to my dotage I was looking for an interesting boat to live on and travel around like an old shellback. I gave up sailing when I couldn't handle the cramped quarters, constant climbing up and down or grinding on winches.

I came upon a slightly neglected Tom Fexas designed Choey Lee 53' Efficient Yacht about a year and a half ago. Bought it and have been working on the restoration and updating of the boat. The boat had great bones and has shined up nicely. Am about finished, maybe about three months more to go. Then its off on some adventures, where ever I can find them.

Although the home port is New Orleans, where I live, the boat is in Kemah, Texas and I live aboard her three weeks of the month. Am in the process of selling my condo in preparation of full time living aboard.

So thats me and my boat. I have poked around the site a bit and am really impressed with the depth of knowlege and enthusiasm here. Even though i have been around boats all my life I find all kinds of neat and new (to me) info here. Look forward to continuing my maritime education here.
I will try to post a pic here although electronics are the least of my skills.
Sounds like you have a great plan for which you're well prepared. I don't own one and never have, but I'm a bit of a fan of Cheoy Lee. I assume there are neglected ones in bad condition but I've seen some that looked great for their age and the owners talked about how sound they were. From where you are, you're obviously free to in any direction and end up anywhere. I think the one thing you will find is that you'll see far more than you ever have even with all your experience. You'll have the time to really know the places you visit or take up temporary residence. I was talking to others in the industry yesterday about all the places we'd been in our lives but never seen (In business, I experienced the same). We've done so much cruising the last three years and yet really barely touched what there is in just the areas we've cruised. We maintain a list of places we want to visit and see and it never seems to get shorter, just longer.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #8
Guru
 
Moonfish's Avatar


 
City: Port Townsend, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 702
Welcome aboard from a fellow Cheoy Lee owner!

Rangers or Celtic? Of course, if you're unaffiliated in this country, may I suggest my team of 40 years: the Portland Timbers. Yes, I'm in a very good mood today...
__________________
Darren
Port Townsend, WA
m/v Traveler - '79 Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #9
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,854
Welcome Ian. That is probably the best looking Cheoy Lee I have seen. Fexas drew some sweet lines. Great cruising ahead. All the best to you.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
Guru
 
Portuguese's Avatar
 
City: Salvador - BA
Country: Brazil
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 662
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Welcome Ian. Greetings from Brazil!
__________________
Now retired and cruising in calm waters
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rainha_jannota/
Portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
ddalme's Avatar
 
City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 406
Nice boat and welcome-if ever in the vermilion bay area give me a shout. Love to check out your handiwork.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
City: New Orleans
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Welcome aboard from a fellow Cheoy Lee owner!

Rangers or Celtic? Of course, if you're unaffiliated in this country, may I suggest my team of 40 years: the Portland Timbers. Yes, I'm in a very good mood today...
Ha! I know better than to answer that question! I went to college in Glasgow where the wrong answer to that question in a pub can get you seriously hurt.

Saw your video on your site. Very cool.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
City: New Orleans
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
Welcome Ian. Greetings from Brazil!
Thanks! I love Brazil! Always had a great time there.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
City: New Orleans
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddalme View Post
Nice boat and welcome-if ever in the vermilion bay area give me a shout. Love to check out your handiwork.
Will do. When I get out of here I will be heading east. Ditch or offshore will depend on weather. If its the ditch I will stop in your neck of the woods and get some decent crawfish and maybe drink a beer. Glad to show off my baby.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
City: New Orleans
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 445
So before I had my heart issues, my other joy was to fly around in my plane. I owned a Commander 114 then a Cirrus SR22 for those pilots among you. I flew to each corner of this great country, Alaska, California, Maine and Florida as well as most of the states in between. I even flew in to the Great Lakes area, landing at the little island airport at Put-In Bay. I always made time to look around and get to know the area. Spent 2 weeks in Alaska landing in out of the way strips and flying over glaciers. My point is, that there is so much to see around the country that its gonna be fun looking at it at 10 knots or less. Even better will be getting to know the people that do this lifestyle and sharing experiences. See ya out there!
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #16
omc
Senior Member
 
omc's Avatar
 
City: Antibes
Country: France
Vessel Name: LUTIN
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 480
Ha ha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
pɹɐoqɐ ǝɯoɔlǝM
'sƃuᴉʇǝǝɹפ
So funny reply ! Lol !
I love to !
__________________
Olivier
omc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #17
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,182
Welcome aboard from Clan Buchanan!

Very nice boat. 👍👍👍
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #18
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,969
Welcome aboard
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #19
Guru
 
dhmeissner's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: North America
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,326
Welcome aboard! Here you go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	47169  
__________________
Dave & Suzie - Roughwater 35
http://thepromiserwb1029.org/2012/09...the-promise-2/
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #20
Guru
 
Drake's Avatar
 
City: Seabrook, Texas
Country: Independent Republic of Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 507
Welcome. We're in the Kemah area. If you're ever onboard and have a minute to chat, shoot us a PM.
__________________

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012