New From FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thinwater

Vessel Make
Bayliner 2855, Key West 18, Robalo 23, Many others
I have been bitten by the Trawler bug and will be seeking to purchase one to do the Loop with my wife in in the spring 2019. Full displacement, low fuel use.

I have many boats and have owned and built many more. I am fixing up a Bayliner 2855 and plan to do some camping on it with my wife this year to see how she likes it before planning the big trip. I will sell it to put cash toward a Trawler when we are ready for one.

So far I have found several "Marine Trader" 34' Trawlers that look like they would do the job, and are in my limited budget. I am a retired police officer so I will have an income on the trip.

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Welcome to the TF!

From one retired LEO to another....welcome to TF and congrats on your decision to do the loop. You'll never regret it.

Welcome aboard from up the St Johns. Went to high school in the Mount Dora area back in the 60s. The Tri Cities area used to be one of my favorite parts of Florida.

Thanks all for the welcome. I live 5 miles from the St Johns river, (Whitehair bridge, Hwy 44), about ten miles from Mt Dora.

Unfortunately the river is closed due to high water from the hurricane. It has gone down about 10" since the storm. I plan to start my great loop trip from there, north to Jacksonville into the ICW.

I am still cleaning up my Bayliner 2855 to do a little practice camping in. I have a CNC machine shop with a bunch of metal fab equipment also so I can make most anything I need.

I have made several small boats before, wood, FRP, and aluminum. I considered making a Loop boat myself tailored to the trip but decided to try and buy one instead.

Back
Top Bottom