Old 03-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Hi Al,

Yes, CHB window leaks were a concern for us. We looked at many CHB's and found that all the tri-cabins had some pretty severe interior water damage. We are lucky with this one, the only water damage caused by window leaks is around the portholes in the V-berth which we are re-doing anyway

One of the first projects is to tackle the decks to eliminate the water ingress. Then we will move on to the inside.

Having the fuel tanks replaced already, was a huge bonus for us! One less thing to do, and again, most of the ones we had looked at still required this to be done.

We do not take any comments adversely!! We are happy to have the advice from others with more experience than us! Keep it coming!

Thanks !!

34 Europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Thanks all for the Congrats and advice! We are happy to share our progress and will keep everyone posted with pics

Old 03-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #43
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[

"We do not take any comments adversely!! We are happy to have the advice from others with more experience than us! Keep it coming!"

Glad to have you acknowledge the intent. While I am at it, a suggestion of an item to add to the inventory- Capt. Tolley's "Creeping Crack Cure" finds & fixes leaks. It is a UK product that many east coast marine outlets carry. I have not found it on the West Coast although your Canada marine stores may carry it. Very inexpensive and very effective for those hard to find cracks, such as around port holes. Google it up, it may be a fix for you.
Cheers,
Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
While I am at it, a suggestion of an item to add to the inventory- Capt. Tolley's "Creeping Crack Cure" finds & fixes leaks.
That product might work for shorts wearing members of the building industry.
The decks are a priority, the water migrates elsewhere from the decks, you need to stop the process.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #45
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Hi Bruce- You are so correct, however the suggestion was directed to those small cracks or leaks that seem to defeat the current number of sealants. This product is the consistency of evaporated milk, a bit thicker but very fluid. The intent is to flow the product around the top and sides of the window frame or surface crack leak with repeated efforts till the crack or window frame will not accept any more. About a 15-20 minute space between applications.

Teak decks on CHBs really require total removal and resurfaced with fiberglass including non-skid.
With the huge amount rain here in Ketchikan, any leak on a CHB deck leads to soft under deck if not addressed. Very disconcerting to walk on such a deck.

Fellow here coated his teak with bed liner. Worked for a while then started to blister due to penetration allowing water to seep under. Ended up pulling 3 foot strips. Not pretty.
The crack sealer comes in 8oz bottle so it is not intended to mend a huge area or project. I have been very successful over the years in stopping those nagging tid bit leaks so recommend it for others with frustrations. If it will work in shorts to stop a leak it may have a future in Florida with the senior set.
Sort of complements duct tape. It can't fix stupid ....but it can muffle the sound!
Cheers,
Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:30 AM   #46
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Europa View Post
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the great advice!

I think you did a great job, I hope our V-berth turns out as nice!! Our boat came with a queen island bed.

We started this endeavor thinking we would fix everything before putting her back in the water, but a sunny boat ride home on the fly bridge, has made us think "get done what needs to be done to be safe and/or requires lots of tools" and the rest can be done at the dock.

Our priority list to build structure around the boat (including scaffolding to work on) re-do the decks, add a bow thruster, clean everything well, check all systems (water, electrical, engine etc), re-do V-berth, update electronics (as apparently the boat will float in 1' of water according to the upper helm depth guage ) , re-bed all fittings, fix small gel coat imperfections and give her a good coat of paint.

We will keep you posted with pics as we do repairs!

Thanks again for the advice!!
That sounds about enough to go on with Europa. If you are going to paint the hull, I strongly recommend the 2 pack approach, as it is just so much more long lasting and superior to one pack paint for that job. (Interlux Perfection) It was the one thing I felt important to have done professionally about 7 years ago, and we never regretted that decision it came up so well.

Oooh, I envy you that island double in there. I've looked at that mod - have seen it done on a Clipper 30, but it would just be too much ripping apart to do it now. I hope you are not suggesting you are going to convert it from an Island Queen double back to a vee berth, are you..? If so, please don't is my advice.
Cheers,
Old 07-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Hi

Soooo, we did it. We bought our first trawler!! We brought her home in March and got her all tucked away in our yard! The first project was to build a structure around her so that we could work on her in the sun and the rain! That structure is now complete and teak deck removal has begun. (we are replacing it with fiberglass)

There are a few, and by a few I mean many.... projects to complete before she is back in the water, but we are thrilled to begin working on her!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	41898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	41899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Home.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	41900  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #48

City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
What a great place to work on your boat! I hope you are able to get it back into the water soon!

6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote