Old 05-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #1

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
New Aussie member

Well not brand new, I have been a member for a couple of months or so now but a month ago we bought the boat so now I feel that its time to introduce ourselves.

Winding back the clock a touch, my wife and I have been sailors for the last 30 years, owning three boats in total which got progressively bigger – as they do –starting with a trailer sailer and finishing with a medium sized keel boat that we cruised and raced. We both have some serious blue water time in both Australia, New Zealand and the Mediterranean.

We sold our last yacht about 5 years ago and as luck would have it one of the guys who crewed with me had a 36ft Fairway (a local design –semi displacement flybridge cruiser) which he wasn`t using enough and he gave us use of it in exchange for keeping it in shape. We used it for about 2 years before he sold it (bugga) but by then we realised that the “dark side” of boating wasn`t such a bad option.

Zing forward a few years and we had narrowed our search down to either a Grand Banks or an Island Gypsy. In the end the IG Europa 36 won because of its covered cockpit and covered side decks. Not too many in Australia and the one we settled on was in Victoria – we live in Brisbane – about the same distance Washington DC to Orlando.

So… we consider ourselves lucky to have found her – she has a v berth fwd, second cabin to stbd opposite the head. Two FL 135s with low hours and pretty much everything as original – even still has the original electric hot plate cook top and convection microwave oven. ( Works well with the Westerbeke gen set but is a bit of a pain if you just want to make a cup of tea) The only real mod has been a platform added behind the top of the rear deck “roof” to hold the dingy with a manual crane.

Getting her home was a bit of a drama – in the end we decided to truck her – we don`t have the equivalent of an inland waterway system up the east coast and where she was located, in Westernport Bay, opens into Bass Straight – a notorious waterway. Not the best option for an unfamiliar boat.

IG 36s are tall – so tall that the props and rudders had to come off to fit on the trailer plus everthing had to come off to get her as low as possible – even the four wooden brackets that support the windscreen. We made the height limit by about 100mm (4inches) – that’s not a legal limit – its set by the lowest bridge!

She is now safely in her pen in Manly Queensland. BTW, Brisbane is on a river about 20k inland. Boating for people living in and around Brisbane is centred on Moreton Bay with a very large marina at Manly, a bayside suburb of Brisbane. Moreton Bay is at the northern end of a waterway that stretches about 60km south to the Gold Coast and I imagine has elements of the ICW.

This forum has (and is) given me a great resource, not only for the technical topics but also reminiscing about our time living in the US – I was in the Aust Army, on exchange at Fort Lee – Virginia for 2 years and we did a lot of travelling up and down the east coast. Our sailing life started there.

Cheers

George
Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Welcome George....you know you going to have to post a photo or two right. I like your choice. IG's are great boats.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Welcome aboard, and hope to hear more from you. It is amazing how many people say hello, new member here, and then apparently are abducted by aliens. :-)
Old 05-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Welcome on board George.
As you will have noticed there are plenty of Aussie members here and a lot of us are in SE Qld, we do tend to wander.
Are you planing on cruising the coast or sticking around the Bay.
If you pass thru Mooloolaba give me a hoy.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #5

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Welcome aboard! I 2nd the "pics" request.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Good to hear you are settling into your "new" boat. Malagari went from Coomera, Qld. to Victoria, and is back home in Qld, I had the pleasure of seeing her 5 years back, a lovely Europa 36 in nice original lightly used condition, sold new by the principal of Anchorline Brokerage in Coomera.
George, if you do post pics, can you please include one of the manual dinghy crane?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:59 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Yes, welcome aboard Brisyboy. Tell us a bit about your NZ sailing experiences, like where, and in what. I cut my boating teeth over there..also first boats being trailer yachts. The first when the kids were really young a Tasman 20, the second, a Gazelle 26 we brought over here to Aussie, and she's still out there somewhere.

So, if anyone sees a Gazelle called Black Widow, that's her. Lovely boat. We eventually went with a Resort 35, and currently a Clipper 34, now on the market. I have her down at Horizon Shores.

Yes, please….put up some pics. Sing out if you have any trouble with that.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Polaris
Vessel Model: Ray Kemp Cruiser/Motor Sailer
George,

Welcome, I am also in Briz at Manly and ex ARA. Two weeks ago we settled on a Tasmanian built Huon Pine bay cruiser/motor sailer, berthed at RQYS.

MG
Brizvagas Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Laidley
Hi George,

Welcome Aboard, there are quite a few Ozzies on the forum/

My forum name is not very far from you. lol

Regards,

David.
Manly Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #10

City: Yarram/Port Albert
Vessel Name: Tracey Lea
Vessel Model: 1969 Bob McLaren ex timber trawler
Welcome George,
I think I remember the boat getting loaded for delivery out of yaringa if it is the same one, this is where I have my boat on the hard (for way to long) you might remember seeing it the timber trawler on the right as you come through the main gate hope all went well with the transport. all the best.
Troy
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #11
Enigma

City: Slicker?
'sƃuᴉʇǝǝɹפ
pɹɐoqɐ ǝɯoɔlǝM
Old 05-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizvagas Mark View Post
George,

Welcome, I am also in Briz at Manly and ex ARA. Two weeks ago we settled on a Tasmanian built Huon Pine bay cruiser/motor sailer, berthed at RQYS.

MG
A similarly described beautiful boat, said to be built of 1200 years old Huon pine and called "Huon Kelly", was advertised in Afloat. I recall a similar boat being custom built for noted Sydney chef Tetsuya. Either way, you may have acquired an absolute gem of a boat. Pictures, please?
Many outside Australia will not know that Huon pine, a revered durable shipbuilding timber, is extremely rare and these days usually acquired from logs which have been underwater for a very long time. I`ve heard it said, Huon pine timber is "cut up", but trees are not "cut down".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #13
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
"Huon Kelly" is a lovely little boat. Had a good look around her whilst at the Wooden Boat Festival. The Tassie mob really do the motor sailor thing very well.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi Bruce,

Attached is a photo of PolarisClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432205692.273803.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	40336 this photo is circa 2002 in Hobart before road transport to Queensland. I will upload more recent photos from my desktop computer.

MG
Old 05-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #15
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Your photo got stuck around the equator. Full translation here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432210009.960589.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	40338

Welcome

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #16

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
I just watched this vid on the Huon Kelly. Pretty cool little motor sailer!
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Hi all,

More recent photo of Polaris in my Avatar, she was designed and built by Ray Kemp a respected Tasmanian shipwright. Unfortunately, Ray destroyed plans and half models after builds.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Smile

Hi all,

More recent photo of Polaris are attached, she was designed and built by Ray Kemp a respected Tasmanian shipwright. Unfortunately, Ray destroyed plans and half models after builds.
Attached Thumbnails
Sea Trial 6 May 2015.jpg   Seadog (1).jpg   Survey Lift 1.jpg   Polaris 1970 pre launch.jpg   Polaris 6.jpg  

Old 05-21-2015, 03:16 PM   #19

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Is that a Lemon Beagle? I had one as a kid when I lived in England.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Is that a Lemon Beagle

Hi Blue Yonder,

She sure is, No. 5 Beagle we have had the pleasure of owning and the third Lemon.

That was her first outing on the boat and not too sure of the environment, during the next two trips she has become more confident and inquisitive.

MG
Attached Thumbnails
Seadog (3).JPG   Seadog (6).jpg