Old 07-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

City: winchester bay
Vessel Model: In the Market :))
New to the adventure :))

I live in Oregon centrally located on the I-5 South corridor. Easy boat location either Coos Bay or Winchester Bay. Last year I was introduced to the Seattle Boat Show and have a deep appreciation for Trawler Style pleasure craft / live aboards. Very "Green" and open minded. I have 8-10 years till retirement. Looking for a significant lifestyle change and believe the "Live Aboard" is the answer. Time will tell. Always looking for the next adventure and very social and outgoing. I will post several questions as they come my way and apreciate all of the support in this endeavor. Thanks Daryl
mirandaglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #2

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
Welcome aboard, fairly new myself. Bought our boat two years ago.
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Try not to just sit round waiting for retirement. Too much stuff can happen. Health issues can intrude, and financial ones also, and in my case, eg, the retirement prospect since GFC is that the boat will probably have to go. They are expensive wee beasties to keep you know, especially once living just on retirement savings/pensions/superannuation, etc.
Yes, if you sell up everything and just live on the boat the cost can be less, but beware of the fact few really want to live aboard exclusively once retirement age is reached. And there is the issue of what to do with all your precious possessions.
Please regard this advice not as a wet blanket, but a wee rub down of the smear on the somewhat rose-tinted specs we sometimes put on. In other words - don't wait - get out there now (with all due care) in whatever you can afford - NOW.
It won't take long to realise if live-aboard is for your and yours.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Guru

Peter +1

Owning a trawler size boat is expensive, but how expensive is up to you. If the boat has to be perfect it can be very expensive. If you can do a lot of the maintenance your self and can live with a few nagging things not quite right, then maybe not so expensive.

I have put a ton of money in my boat and don't regret it. I can afford it but it has taken away from other things; priorities.
I am nearing retirement and calculate ownership of this boat for 2 years after I retire. I do like having everything working right and will do the work and pay as necessary to keep it there.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Blu Tug
Vessel Model: R27 Ranger Tug
New to the adventure

I agree with Bruce we went from buying a 44' cruiser to live aboard and cruise around Australia after estimating the costs we decided on buying a R27 Ranger Tug( should arrive here next week) and park home so we can enjoy both life styles in our retirement
Cheers
Peter and Ronie B
blunda is offline   Reply With Quote