Old 01-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #21

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Gone Coastal
Vessel Model: 2005 34' Mainship Trawler
GIOS... when you find the perfect trawler, please post photos...

Old 01-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #22
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Yes, I think a 66' is way too big for a first boat.

I started looking at bigger boats (but not that big). I finally ratcheted the size down to something I figured I could easily single-hand so I could go for a quick cruise at a moments notice.

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #23

City: Sebring
Send a message via Skype™ to lookingforperfectrawler
I am sorry that I didn't reply as I said I'm a nebe a new person at this. I understand your point and I apologize for not replying to your answer. You gave me a lot to think about. Yes I plan on one day living on a trawler cruising around the Caribbean at first and then once I feel I have the experience to try a longer passage. A soft now it will be only me and then maybe later on my brother will join me or my son. But at the present time it will be only me learning the ropes of operating the trawler. At this point I am still open and receiptive to the type of trawler that will be best suited for my needs and desires. I feel that a twin engine will be good and as far as running a generator I thought that was expected when you are operating the different appliances and A/C units. Once again I am new to this. No I don't plan on going to the Northwest or Antartica I like it warm so I will be wanting to hang out in the Latin countries for a while. I was thinking on anchoring off the coast of Costa Rica for a while. To visit some friends there but then again I don't know if that is allowed. I have much to learn. I have walked through a 55 ft Choey Lee and thought that might work but now I'm thinking that I will go smaller from what I am hearing on this Forum. I am really looking forward to the Trawler fest so that I can talk with people that have already done what I plan on doing. As far as budget goes I just want to get a trawler that will take me where I want to go comfortably and not give me a lot of challenges. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it.
GIOS
lookingforperfectrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #24

GIOS.. I see you're in Sebring - I assume FL, and there's a trawler school over on the west coast that would offer a great introduction to trawlers.. you can google and find contact info for them... you can always learn the hard way on your own, but that can be very expensive.. and if you're thinking single handed boating, somewhere in the 30' or less size would be manageable.. super-sizing can follow... don't forget to post photos..
Old 01-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #25

GIOS... another suggestion for a nebe is to attend a Captain's course. I used Sea School and had my 100 ton Merchant Mariner's Certificate (USCG) Captain's license in about 4 weeks. You can learn all about boating before you put yourself and others in peril.. Don't forget to post photos of your new toy...
Old 01-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #26
Guru

City: gulf coast
The Miami boat show is coming soon. I suggest spending several days looking at boats there and looking at boat operators training schools. The typical captains course wont teach you how to operate the boat. You need a lot of time underway for that.
If I understand correctly you have little experience in boats. If true you wont be able to get insurance unless you have licensed captain operating the boat.
Be very careful in buying a used boat because inexperienced people often get something unsuitable. A full survey is a must.

I hope that you have more experience than it sounds because what you want to do is not difficult with experience it is very difficult withour experience. Boats and their operation is complicated.

http://www.miamiboatshow.com/attendees/default.aspx
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #27

Thanks for all the great advise I will take this into consideration. Thanks to all that have shared their knowledge with me.
GIOS
Old 01-20-2015, 07:22 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Great reading:

48' Selene. Started in Seattle, and is currently in the Philippines.
Preparations for Long Range Cruising on Furthur

3 Nordhavns on a great journey: The San Souci is (I believe) currently in the Med.

(About the GSSR) - www.kensblog.com

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #29

Thanks every body for sharing your wisdom and guidance this gives me a lot of reading material.
GIOS