Old 05-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #1

My first post

I am now the proud owner of a 36 ft marine trader trawler. It was previously named Curmudgeon. Although my wife thought this was most appropriate, I profoundly disagreed and have renamed it Fishermanden. Interestingly, I did manage to make out that before Curmudgeon, it was called Kathleen.
It appears to have spent some of its life in Boston and more recently in Florida.
I would be interested to know if anyone can shed any light on its history. On cleaning it out, I did find a full case of Russian ammunition under the front bunk !
markaubreyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral,Fl
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
Congratulations on your new trawler! We have a 38 Marine Trader double cabin which we purchased a year ago. We love it. We haven't found much info on our boat, no manuals, guides or anything. Here's an article published some time ago about the history of Taiwan built trawlers.

http://www.bluehorizonsailing.net/wp...e_trawlers.pdf

Enjoy your new boat.

Gina Smith
Island Time
38 Marine Trader 1990
Cape Coral, Fl

Gina
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Welcome aboard. The full case of Russian ammunition under the front bunk sounds like a tale of intrigue! If I had to make a guess, I would guess that it came from Cuba. Lots of Florida boats used to make that little jump across the straits on a calm day and spend some time at Marina Hemingway. Lots of Russian-made things for sale.

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Guru

City: Pensacola
With the current price of ammunition, you could probably sell the ammo and upgrade the navionics easy!
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #5

Yes I called a local police officer friend who kindly negotiated a sale for 200 bucks. Such great service !
Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #6

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
Welcome aboard. I think I agree with your wife. I would have kept the name.

Sorry I can't help with any information on your boat.
portager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Welcome aboard. You will love your boat. We have had our 36 for a little over a year now. You will find lots of little things that need to be fixed and or redesigned and a few big ones, but that is half the fun for me.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
That awning is interesting, it must help keep things pretty cool. Any problem with it in squalls or thunderstorms?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #9
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I like that cover over the side decks too, nice touch. I was thinking (dreaming) that I could do that in fiberglass, but the fabric makes much more sense. Maybe some day.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
Guru

It helps keep the boat very cool and gives us another place to sit outside with out being in the sun (I am very light complected). We have two chairs and a small table on the bow while not underway. It cost me about 2k all togather, but was well worth it to me. It is attached with zippers so I can take it down in less than 5 minutes. Takes about 15 minutes to put back on though. I take it and the bimini down if forcasted over 40 knots.

This pic shows how it is zipped on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4519.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	19436

Old 05-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #11

My 36 ft marine trader is in pretty poor condition above decks. The hull and mechanics are great but the super structure is rotten in quite a few places. A friend said instead of replacing the super structure in a similar glass on ply, why don't I consider using a more modern method. He suggests using strongwell sealed glass fibre interlocking panels. It is basically extruded glass fibre panels with a 1 inch void filled with compacted insulation. Apparently it is pre finished and will require no maintenance and provide insulation form the Florida sun.
My question is.....does anyone know or have any experience of using this material in a marine application ?
Your thoughts ?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Guru

99.9% of all Marine Traders have a substatial amout of rot, but I have not seen one that is beyond repair. It would be a MAJOR project to replace the cabin. I would think a repair would be more in order unless you just have more time and money than you know what to do with.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #13

Those were my first thoughts too, but bearing in mind I wanted to change the rear superstructure to a sedan type ( all on one level) from salon to rear deck I wondered whether it would be worth biting the bullet. The sedan model would give me stacks of below cabin storage especially for provisions on a great loop adventure ! The jury is still out
Old 05-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #14

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
I assume you're referring to DuraShield fiberglass pultruded insulated panels. Structural Building Panels - Strongwell

"DURASHIELD® is a tongue-and-groove fiberglass pultruded panel comprised of a pultruded skin over a foam core. Available in 1″ x 12″ and 3″ x 24″ sizes, the pultruded fiberglass skin of these panels is available in either an isophthalic polyester or vinyl ester resin. Both resin systems are flame retardant (UL94 VO). Vinyl ester is utilized in more corrosive applications. A synthetic surfacing veil is incorporated into the skin to improve weathering, corrosion resistance and resistance to degradation from ultraviolet rays. Resistance to weathering can be further enhanced by the application of a polyurethane paint. The core material is rigid closed-cell urethane foam. The foam core provides an insulation “R” factor of 7 for the 1″ panel and 21 for the 3″ panel.

Applications

Radar, Microwave, Radio and TV Antenna Enclosures
Enclosures for Electrical Equipment
Enclosures of Chemical Processing Operations
Buildings for EMI Testing (Computer Testing)
Chemical Pit Covers
Roofs on Wet-End Pulp and Paper Manufacturing
Modular Buildings"

I have never heard of these panels being used for boat construction. I think you would need to seal the ends where there is exposed insulation and any places where you cut openings such as for windows. They only come in 1" thick by 12" wide panels and 3" thick by 24" wide panels. The 1" wide panels might be about the same thickness as 3/4" plywood plus a layer of fiberglass.
portager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
Guru

Post some pics sowe can see the damage. I do understand wanting to "make it your own". Just make sure you understand how big a project you are getting into. The size of the project is also governed by the working conditions. If it can be brought to your back yard or even better a storage building to where you are working inside it is alot more doable.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #16

Fishermanden

Fortunately, I have my trawler up a private canal right next door to my workshop, so no worries about access for working. The interlocking 12 inch panels do sound a good product and they do make all kinds of end caps, p caps, curves etc. Also imagine the weight advantage as these panels weigh very little.
Jury still out on it though.