Look at it or Run Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guitar Picker

Veteran Member
1972 36' Gulfstar Trawler | eBay

So is something like this worth the time and money? Is it even worth taking a look? I have a ten year plan to find and fix a trawler for the southwest Florida area. Have always been a boater since my navy days. I was an assault boat coxwain. Nowadays I run a 18' center console but my thoughts are constantly on a big slow boat. Paid cash for a home in Florida about five years ago. I know that I could do the liveaboard life however my wife is not so sure. Five years ago she wasn't sure if we should buy another boat but now she is the one that wants to go out fishing everyday off throws the net and catches more fish than me. I think once she goes out for a couple days she will love it.
Pat

Greetings,
Mr. GP. Sounds too good to be true BUT.........one never knows....Seller says engines run so the only thing you'd lose by looking is either a return plane ticket+associated costs (rental car, room etc.) or the time and expense to drive there and back. Ask for more pictures maybe to get a better gut feel.

Nice Redfish great for the grill "on the half shell".
Do you have any trawler type boat savvy friends near the boat location who could take a look. Leaking fuel tanks, the engine, and transmission would be big money items if they are not right. Looks not to have teak decks which can sometimes be a problem. Other than that it is hard to say. As always Caveat Emptor
Good luck!

'

This is a boat that you buy as is and you use mostly as is. If you try to upgrade all systems to good condition you will spend a fortune. OTOH it could be a decent way to cruise for a few years if you can live with generally crappy systems.

I have a friend with a similar but much bigger trawler. He keeps it going with minimal maintenance. What makes it work is that the engines are sound.

David

They always look almost too good to be true until you look at them. This could be a distress sale though and could be a good deal.
Bill

The fuel tank is fiberglass or FRP. I think it said the water tank is leaking it is also FRP. As far as I know there were no Gulfstar MarkI's that had teak decks?
Bill

A 10k trawler is a 60k project (minimum).

I was thinking $40k w/o a thruster and the low tech work being done by owner. Could spiral. Bet it needs a bottom peel, soft decks?? Gutting and update, her AC's. Yep. For $70 k you can buy more boat already redone. There is a Defever listed now.
Be hard to come out on the + if it were a gift. My suggestion, work overtime, save your coin, keep looking and buy a better boat some other fool like me has already lost hi a$$ on.

Run Forest run

Can't really comment on the vessel, but if you want to try a trawler out, there are a couple of charter companies in your neck of the woods, not cheap, but could be well worth it if she says she hates it.

I was thinking $40k w/o a thruster and the low tech work being done by owner. Could spiral. Bet it needs a bottom peel, soft decks?? Gutting and update, her AC's. Yep. For $70 k you can buy more boat already redone. There is a Defever listed now.
Be hard to come out on the + if it were a gift. My suggestion, work overtime, save your coin, keep looking and buy a better boat some other fool like me has already lost hi a$$ on.

Run Forest run

:thumb:
and you said your wife likes fishing, that doesn't sound like working on a project boat for 10 years.:facepalm:

I can speak about a distressed sale of a 1975 Gulfstar MarkII with 4-154's. I had minor blistering on the bottom and the port rudder had blisters. Both were repaired and the bottom redone. I spent about $10k in labor for various fixes that needed to be done on a vessel this age. I also spent almost $30k for equipment that has not been installed yet. That doesn't include my FLIR and my Spectra DC water maker I pulled from my last boat. Be real careful the MarkI's and some MarkII's were known for blistering and wet decks around the fittings. The electrical wiring while it was factory installed is less than ideal, I planned on upgrading my AC and DC wiring.
Just a word of caution, then again it could be a decent vessel but I did read that the diver said the bottom had issues. I can't imagine leaving this vessel in the water for 4 years with no real maintenance other than a diver's scrub.
Good luck whatever you decide.
Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. A friend looked at the boat and it is a run Forrest run type boat. I will keep searching.

We have a 43 ft Gulfstar Mk1 trawler and have been restoring it for the past two years. We're getting ready to put her up for sale not sure when. Trying to finish up some work on the interior. Not sure of the price, though we want to make sure she goes to a good owner.

We took care of the major issue items with the Mark 1s. Deck (almost entire) recored and reglassed. All blisters removed, new props. The wiring from the factory is as other put it not the best, so we're working on that. A lot of time and effort, though it was a great lesson on boat construction and maintenance. We upgraded to a Hatteras, a deal we couldn't pass up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom