Old 11-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

City: Boston
Living aboard/ airline pilot

Hey all,

Im a 31 year old guy who figured he would get his midlife crisis out of the way early and buy a New (to me) trawler, so i picked up an old mainship 34.

I'm Living in Boston starting out in the spring down the Intercoastal to FL and running around from there!

Didnt know if any other pilots or flight attendants might be here doing the same and helping with advice on the lifestyle of commuting and leaving a boat for a week at a marina to fly!

Open to ideas and meeting new people in the liveaboard east coast lifestyle. Cheers
Thesaltyrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Nice boat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
“Midlife, maybe. Crisis, hardly.”
Old 11-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Bailey
Vessel Model: 46' Grand Banks Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesaltyrudder View Post
Hey all,

Im a 31 year old guy who figured he would get his midlife crisis out of the way early and buy a New (to me) trawler, so i picked up an old mainship 34.

I'm Living in Boston starting out in the spring down the Intercoastal to FL and running around from there!

Didnt know if any other pilots or flight attendants might be here doing the same and helping with advice on the lifestyle of commuting and leaving a boat for a week at a marina to fly!

Open to ideas and meeting new people in the liveaboard east coast lifestyle. Cheers
Just a few years older than you flying Purple tails and we're planning on someday doing the same. Closing on a Grand Banks soon hopefully. Post some pics of your new baby.
stiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #5
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Pilots, we're not well suited to boats.

Welcome to the floaties.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Czech Mate
Vessel Model: President 41
My wife teaches so we have the freedom to do what you speak of in the summertime. We have yet to set off but I have given it some thoughts. I'll share the biggest sticking points I've come up with.

It takes awhile to really get used to how long it takes to get places in a boat. Couple that with finding marinas close to descent airports for commuting and transportation to the airport and it is going to take some planning. I think you would be fine until you get to about Norfolk. After that there are some really long runs until you get to FL.

With that in mind, if we do it, I have decided we would probably have to stay at least a month at a time in the different marinas that we find. First, monthly rate would be cheaper, especially considering you would probably be staying at the more expensive marinas closer to town and the airport. You could possibly anchor out, but I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my boat unattended on an anchor for four or five days at a time. Second, if we don't stay at a marina for extended periods, I would basically spend all my off days moving the boat and never getting to enjoy the different stops. My wife would but I would be away at work. Third, since we decided to stay longer at each stop, we could drive the car ahead to the marina, then fly back and get the boat and continue so on throughout the trip. Having a car of course would make it much easier to get to work, not to mention the store, especially if the airport is far away from the boat.

Finally, you have to plan for hurricanes. Things would not go well if I was away at work and my wife had to prepare for a hurricane alone. Or for that matter if your boat was left alone while you are at work. And you can't plan on having advance notice for these things either. The first hurricane of this season was a low pressure system that came out of GA. It moved into the Gulf and came back ashore 2-3 days later in LA as a Cat 1. Also, I don't know how all parts of the country are, but some marinas in New Orleans require boats to be either moved or taken out of the water depending of the tropical forecasts, so that is another thing to think about when looking at marinas to leave your boat at.

All in all though, if you can navigate those issues, it would be an incredible way to live. Keep us updated.
jsplichal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:39 AM   #7

Stiggy, just pulled it out for the season to spruce her up. Im with atlas, living the dream of endless contract negotiations. Ill post some goodies when i can. Thats why i made the cargo switch from republic though, to spend two weeks home.

Jsplichal2, those are great points. Im on the cargo side with 2 weeks off usually, made the switch for that reason. Seems like hurricanes will definitley be the real hurdle in my case. I do have family i can bank on down south, but i wouldnt feel right about leaving a boat anchored that long. How does security of an anchorage work in such a case? I figure ill spend most times at the marina. I am lucky enough the company will positive space me from any airport with commercial service though!

Thanks for all the input!
Old 11-12-2019, 02:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I didn't even think about cargo - that may just work. As far as security goes while at anchor, think about leaving your car parked in the woods unattended for two weeks. Probably about the same.
Depending on how determined you are to stay down south, you could just do what many retirees do every year, move with the seasons. That is stay up in your neck of the woods over the summer, i.e. hurricane season and the weather is great, and move south as the temperatures cool. Winter down in FL etc... taking advantage of year round boating and virtually eliminating the hurricane risk.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Or if you have your mind set on leaving Boston in the spring - you could start the Great Loop up there and spend hurricane season on the Great Lakes. Lots of airports to commute out of and assuming you're a baseball fan, lots of parks to visit - Phillies, Yankees, Mets, Blue Jays, Indians, Tigers, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals, etc..... Not to mention all the minor league parks.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Bailey
Vessel Model: 46' Grand Banks Motor Yacht
Quote:
Stiggy, just pulled it out for the season to spruce her up. Im with atlas, living the dream of endless contract negotiations. Ill post some goodies when i can. Thats why i made the cargo switch from republic though...
I hear you on the contract stuff. I was at Atlas on the 74 prior to here. That could be the best job in the industry if they could get out of their own way. The large blocks of time off would definitely be conducive to your plan. Good luck!
stiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Gulfport
Salty,

Got your stuff in at the majors so speak? Purple is slowing hiring after the 1st of the year.
Plane Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:20 AM   #12
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
I'm not a pilot, but there is a large coterie of them at the Clearwater Beach Municipal Marina where I berth. Other Tampa area airports are probably the same. I also remember a bunch in San Diego at the marinas right next to the airport, but that isbthevwrong coast for you.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Welcome...Always glad to see "stick actuators" on board. Life at 8kts
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #14
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Welcome...Always glad to see "stick actuators" on board. Life at 8kts
Should be fun to see him gather speed so he can "rotate".
Old 11-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #15
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
I'm not a pilot, but there is a large coterie of them at the Clearwater Beach Municipal Marina where I berth. Other Tampa area airports are probably the same. I also remember a bunch in San Diego at the marinas right next to the airport, but that isbthevwrong coast for you.
How far is the Clearwater Beacj Muni Marina from KTPA???

And good luck to the OP!!! Yes, that schedule is much more conducive to pulling that lifestyle off. I have always thought about that but just don't have the time off necessary to really pull it off. Hell I just bought a boat and trying to get it from the West Coast of Florida to Texas and am struggling with the logisitics as far as schedule goes.
Also, my airline, UAL, is hiring like crazy. Not sure if you're interested but get your stuff in if you are not. We just announced a completely new recruiting department...
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:36 PM   #16
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Welcome aboard from another thirty-something liveaboard. I pilot large watercraft m'self, and I do a month on-month off shuffle. Just started living aboard a couple of months ago, and am attempting to follow the seasons snowbird style. I'll also be leaving my vessel at marinas while I'm away. So far so good.

TF Member South of Heaven is another Bostonian Liveaboard, and is also a thirty-something, if memory serves.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:50 AM   #17

Sorry ive been so slow at getting back fellas. I had a week off of sick leave and trying to run around usa to see old flight friends especially here in Pittsburgh.

I would go to United/fed ex, or any major, maybe not delta though, bad taste in the mouth and i want to enjoy who i fly with more then being a sky god... but i feel the cargo life with big blocks of time off works better for me and I commuted for 5 years and love being positive spaced for work. Im a community college guy with part 61 training and payed off all my training single handed so im not chasing a pay rate, just good times and stress free lifestyle. Plus not having a 4 yr degrees limits me.

Honestly boys, i hate the crazy rat race of the airlines, im ready to live the easy life have some beers, enjoy my company and learn a few new skills as a 747 First officer. I mostly work for the catering...
Old 11-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #18
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
.... Plus not having a 4 yr degrees limits me.
There are plenty of sites will provide you a 4 year degree, some actually accredited.
While you searching the computer, you can find divinity too. Then you can earn extra money around the docks on Friday night too.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #19
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplichal2 View Post
... think about leaving your car parked in the woods unattended for two weeks. Probably about the same. ...
Kinda depends on which neck of the woods you are in.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Skillman
Vessel Name: Lady Sue
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship I 1982 Perkins
Old Timer

I've had Lady Sue, 1982 Mainship I, original Perkins (and almost everything else, except stuff in the reefer) for 28 years, and know almost as much about the boat as Jay Leonard, so if I can be of any help, let me know. She is shrink-wrapped on her cradle now, but spends the season on Raritan Bay along your route to Florida. Jim Ferry sue46jim2gmail.com
lady sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airline, intercoastal, liveaboard, pilot