Old 09-09-2019, 10:08 PM   #1

City: Myrtle Beach
Vessel Name: Kama Hele
Vessel Model: Litton Universal
Life advice

So I am about a year in to live aboard on my Litton 36’ double cabin. Love it. Me and the kitten enjoy it a lot.

A little back story.
Recently divorced, wanting to live my life and put some smiles on my face. Bought a boat to live cheap and not mess up either of our credit and make sure all is taken care of. Have been in sales for about 20 years and want to stay there.

My goal is to somewhat be a nomad, I’d like to live live 5 months at a time. 5 months work, 1 month to cruise.

Is it possible to live that life? Obviously I have to realize that management is out of the question unless I sell my soul and lie to them. I’d be willing to do 10 months in same place, but in the end, I want my goals to be met. 5 on, 1 off.

I’m really trying to make this work but am wondering if I’m fantasizing or making reality happen, lol. Anyone have a similar situation or thoughts?
AsheL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Well, you don’t have to make anyone happy except yourself. It depends on the style in which you want to live. Are you thinking of moving and finding work in a different area each time or returning to the same area to work? Do you like to anchor out or tie up in a marina to have a more social life? Either way I think if you like living aboard then go for it.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:12 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Ashe
Welcome aboard TF
You might pose your question in one of the cruisers section here on TF... you might get more responses but here's mine.
Only you know your skills, interests and what kind of job you could handle and enjoy. I would think there are many that need seasonal help that might fit that schedule.
I motorhome from the NE to FL each winter for a few mos and have used a mobile RV mechanic service. They are based in Mich, Wis or someplace up N... I forget exactly where.... but they operate up north for the summer season and move their techs and business to FL to serve the snow birds.
The other obvious one is teaching... on 9-10 mos off 2-3.
When I retired early I had an opportunity to do consulting part time and my previous employer was willing to accommodate me with a great deal of flexibility but I only accepted assignments that I felt were realistic for part time and had to say no to those that they needed full time for short durations.
Bottom line I'd say its doable if you can get creative and find a fit of skills with someplace that could benefit. Realize it might mean some additional training, education or certification but that's up to you.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsheL View Post
So I am about a year in to live aboard on my Litton 36’ double cabin. Love it. Me and the kitten enjoy it a lot.

A little back story.
Recently divorced, wanting to live my life and put some smiles on my face. Bought a boat to live cheap and not mess up either of our credit and make sure all is taken care of. Have been in sales for about 20 years and want to stay there.

My goal is to somewhat be a nomad, I’d like to live live 5 months at a time. 5 months work, 1 month to cruise.

Is it possible to live that life? Obviously I have to realize that management is out of the question unless I sell my soul and lie to them. I’d be willing to do 10 months in same place, but in the end, I want my goals to be met. 5 on, 1 off.

I’m really trying to make this work but am wondering if I’m fantasizing or making reality happen, lol. Anyone have a similar situation or thoughts?
Wifey B: #1 Recently divorced. Move slowly as one major life decision at a time is more than enough. Think a lot, move slowly.

Don't know what you sell or how good at it you are.

Your plan doesn't sound nomadic unless you mean work in different places each five month period. All you're really seeking is 2 months, 8-9 weeks, of vacation a year. How much do you get now? If you're in demand enough, should be able to get that amount although who does your work when you're off becomes a question you need to address. Go to your employer with a workable plan.

Maybe you sell something that's somewhat seasonal. Like perhaps you're in hotel and convention sales in Myrtle Beach and they're willing to let you work peak times and take two months off in the winter. Perhaps you are in a sales job that only you lose when you don't sell as plenty of others selling so why not be able to take time off.

Just be careful jumping into anything right now.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #5

City: Detroit
Not sure how you are feeling right now?

When I try to imagine your situation or empathize, I feel a sense of sadness. I am sure that is just me and not necessarily you, but if you have just been through a major life change there could be some. Yes? I think I might want to do exactly what you are talking about if I were to be divorced myself. Get away from the situation and see something new. Be independent and bold.
Make sure you are making good non emotional decisions. Think it through. If it makes sense to you it will make sense to someone else, especially if you have your salesman hat on.
Not sure what you are thinking about yourself right now, but whatever it is YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT. Chin up. Clear head. Make it happen Captain!
Good luck, you won't need it, but take it anyway.
Bill
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Lots of activity in many businesses is at least somewhat seasonal based on the weather. Very possible to be nomadic and follow the nice weather to where the work is. Absolutely do-able. And the advantage is you are there when... the weather is nice.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
There was a Diesel Duck here in Port Townsend a few years ago named "10 and 2". Turns out the owner worked hard for 10 years, then took two years off. He had done that twice over at the time. Your plan certainly sounds doable...
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I generally avoid commenting on life situation threads because I am just a virtual person sitting behind a keyboard and don't know the particulars of another persons situation.

With regards to your question about work/life flexibility; I think you are on to something. My job has allowed me flexibility to partake in ocean related hobbies for the past 30 years. I think that is worth a lot, and can not be measured as a monetary value, IE it's priceless.

Work for many people defines them as a person and seeking out the the next promotion is a key focus for them. I am not saying its wrong, for them it works. For others, we enjoy our work, but it's a means to an end.

If you are able to have a flexible work schedule work for you in regards to boating and other life activities, I think that is a good thing.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote