Landlocked In Idaho

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mahai217

Howdy,

My wife and I are starting the research part of the journey. We hope to move from Idaho in two years or so and move back east (she is from NY, I am from FL). We will probably end up in NC/SC/GA but intend to full-time for a year or so and then head out to the Great Loop. Still, a lot to think about, learn about and plan.

We look forward to learning what we can here on Trawler Forum and hopefully, be able to share what we learn with others.

Have a blessed day!

John and Anna

Welcome. We're close to landlocked too (South Dakota) but the Missouri River will do for now, and we can maintain and improve the boat to "Loop" standards in the meantime. Nice to have a lot of planning and prep time.

Welcome aboard, John and Anna! You're starting out on a fantastic journey. The first step is the toughest. We've all been there.

What's your boating background? If this is your first boat, it's a very steep learning curve! Retired?

12 years ago, I knew nothing of trawlers. 10 years ago I bought my second boat, a trawler. I had a best friend who showed me the ropes on diesel maintenance but the details of system management and maintenance I've learned here.

Lots of seasoned pros and DIYers here to help with just about any question. Glad to have you aboard!

Howdy,

My wife and I are starting the research part of the journey. We hope to move from Idaho in two years or so and move back east (she is from NY, I am from FL). We will probably end up in NC/SC/GA but intend to full-time for a year or so and then head out to the Great Loop. Still, a lot to think about, learn about and plan.

We look forward to learning what we can here on Trawler Forum and hopefully, be able to share what we learn with others.

Have a blessed day!

John and Anna

John and Anna,

Love your state and have spent a LOT of time there, usually Boise but other areas and mountain spots as well. Seriously looked at moving there about 8 years ago, but just not enough water. My kid and hubby live there for a few years and I flew there for business for 20 years.

But, I stayed in FL, no regrets.

You'll have a hard time boat shopping from there, but when you make your move it will be much easier. And lots of choices.

Good luck, wherever you end up.

Hello John and Anna,

I am also land locked in Idaho. My wife and I live in the Twin Falls area and try to charter a trawler once or twice a year. Usually around the Gulf Islands and the San Juan Islands. We have also gone to the BVI and the Bahamas. We eventually would like to own or be a part owner of a trawler in the Pacific Northwest. Idaho is definitely a beautiful state with a lot to offer. However, when you feel pulled toward the ocean it can be difficult at times. Good luck to you both!
Kirk

Thanks for the Warm Welcome

First, I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome to the Trawler Forum. This seems like a great place to hang out and meet new friends.

I wanted to answer some of the questions from the above posts and add a little more about us to help get to know us better.

My wife, Anna, and I are both military vets. I was in the USMC and the USN and Anna was in the Navy - that is where we met.

We have been married for 29 years and have two kids, son - 22 and daughter 19.

I was born and raised in Florida (Clearwater/Tampa/Zephyrhills) and always loved boats and have dreamed of having one for a long time. I don't have any real boating experience.

Anna is a native New Yorker, growing up in Freeport, NY on Long Island - also around boats but no experience.

We met on Treasure Island in San Francisco -- another boating region.

We have lived in Virginia, North Carolina, Alaska, England, China, and Texas. We now live in Idaho.

We are Christians with a heart to serve and plan to live onboard and travel up and down the coast offering mobile fellowship (Bible studies, mentoring, a place to get away, etc.).

We are now part of Paraclete Mission Group where I am on staff and an associate.

We don't have savings due to our time on the mission field, etc. but we will plan to sell our home. We could do this sooner than later if we found a marina with fast Internet (even if we could add it). That way we could both do our jobs as we work from home. (Anna teaches ESL Online).

I've also thought about building a trawler and love to look at the plans on Glen-L boats.

Well, I guess that is about all for now.

Have a great day!

John and Anna

Last edited by a moderator:
Kirk,

Thanks for the welcome. I am curious to learn more about chartering a trawler - what is involved? How much? Etc.

John

Welcome to TF

John and Anna, welcome and I'd say a trawler could be a great place for fellowship and your plans!
We also looked all over, east and west, even considered some European models, but ultimately found the boat we wanted up in the Seattle area. You're not far from there so keep in mind that some Loopers sometimes buy in the west, then have their boat transported back east when they're ready.
Also, there is usually a Trawlerfest boat show in the Spring in Bremerton, WA, you might consider looking for that in a few months.

John and Anna,
Chartering a trawler has been easy for Carrie and I. We did not have much experience boating out in the ocean and no experience with larger boats. We took a 3 day class before our first trip. We usually charter boats with thrusters. we have chartered one sailboat without thrusters and one twin engine. The twin is was the easiest to maneuver for me. Our favorite boats have been a 37 Nordic Tug and a 41 foot American tug. On our first trip we were nervous but everything went well. We are hooked now. Always looking forward to our next ocean trip.

John, welcome to TF. What area of ID are you in?

We've taken our Whaler up to Pend O'Reille, Coeur D'Alene and Hayden lakes to play around. Great time, great boating, beautiful scenery.

Doesn't get much better than that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom