Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham Washington
Vessel Model: 49 GB Alaskan RPH
just getting here

I just sold my Carver that i spent six years re doing and realized I want to retire in six more years. I want to cast off and come back when I get tired (which I hope is never) So if I am going to get a trawler and have it ready while I am still working and have the means to do it, I had better do it now. So here I am, will take the next year finding the right boat and go from there.
willysross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
WTG, willysross! Six years ago, I was sitting in your shoes. I bought our trawler and spent the next 5 1/2 years having fun with her and getting her ready. Upgrades included windlass with ground tackle, electronics, wifi, stereo, TV, cameras, generator, new batteries, inverter, battery monitor, upgraded alternator (TBI), dinghy and motor, tank monitors, washdown system, LED lighting,...

Last November I retired and plan to make the best of the boat now that the big ticket items are done. The hunt was fun, the upgrades are rewarding and the boating is fantastic! I hope your results are similar!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Do it!

Old 06-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
We are doing just that right now.I had the exact same thoughts. I wanted to get it done while I had the means and I could handle all the work.
Rebuilt a sailboat and sold it last year. Looked at trawlers for about a year while sail boat was for sale.Bought ours in September and have been working on it almost every day since.
We took on two big projects early on,complete rebuild of vberth and new layout and complete rebuild of wheel house.We went at it like a madman and almost got burnt out .A lot of woodwork ,paint and varnish. We are taking a break for now and enjoying the boat with projects planned for winter.
I'm 100 % with you on getting it done while you can. Good luck with your search and refit. doing it yourself is very rewarding,plus it helps you to really know your boat inside and out.
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

City: Fulton TX
Vessel Name: The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
Thankyou ! That has just given me a plan for my next 5-10 years ! And, welcome to what I have found to be a great source of wisdom and experience...

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #6

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Welcome aboard. Good planning, do what you can now, while you can. Don't forget to use it while you are doing it. You never know when health issues will sneak up and steal your dreams
Pack Mule, did you buy your boat in Merritt Island FL. ? Looks like one I knew well.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
That's the one
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #8

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Beautiful Boat. Know the original owner well. Good luck with her and may calm seas be with you. Would love to see pictures of your changes to the wheel house. I was very interested in her. When the original owner put her up for sale, she was gone before I could get to him.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #9

City: Nine Mile Falls,Wa.
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: 2006 north Pacific 52'
Wow, there are many of us in the same position. I have to work three or four more years. In February I purchased a 2006 52' North Pacific. We have been having a great time getting her ready for 5 month long trips to Alaska when we retire. Last weekend we had a great time shrimping of of Lopez island in the San Juan's. so follow your dreams and good luck on you search for that right vessel.
Gary
Merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #10

City: Fulton TX
Vessel Name: The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merganser View Post
Wow, there are many of us in the same position. I have to work three or four more years. In February I purchased a 2006 52' North Pacific. We have been having a great time getting her ready for 5 month long trips to Alaska when we retire. Last weekend we had a great time shrimping of of Lopez island in the San Juan's. so follow your dreams and good luck on you search for that right vessel.
Gary
Now THAT sounds like fun !

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham Washington
Vessel Model: 49 GB Alaskan RPH
Flyright actually followed you on another site. When I bought my Carver 6 years ago in Charleston SC I said it was such a great price even if I had to replace everything I would still be ahead. Well after replacing everything from engines, elctronics, interior and everything else, it was worth it for the love of boating not financialy. I still used it the whole time. I moved it to the Fl. panhandle then Stuart Fl. and finally to Ca to the Delta where I spent my first 35 years boating. This is definatley a sickness I hope I never get over. I kept the boat at Tiki lagun and delivered it to its new owners in Sacramento. I am just a different person on a boat and hope to find the next one soon
willysross is offline   Reply With Quote