Old 12-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Blaine, Washington
Vessel Name: Knot@work
Vessel Model: North Pacific Yachts '28 Trawler
Just Checking in - New to Forum

Hello Everyone. Just retired after 38 years on the job and got our boat. A new, 2011 '28 North Pacific Yachts. My wife and I are very enthusiastic about the boat and eagerly look forward to better weather to sail it around the 172 islands of Washington state's Puget Sound, and eventually to Alaska.

We owned smaller boats in the past, such as runabouts but this is our first "serious" boat. We don't want to live aboard, but we want it to be comfty for the two of us for a week or two at a time and for the occasional day at a time visiting couple.

Look forward to learning from your experiences and to share our own in the years ahead. Hopefully our paths will cross.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all trawlers!

Ed the Fed (Hmmm... should be the former fed now)
edthefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Welcome from a fellow recently retired fed!! I retired from the FAA last month. What agency were you with? You've got lots of PNW company here on Trawler Forum. The couple that I've met are really great guys!!

I have an acquaintance with a North Pacific 43. He absolutely loves it! Post up some pics of your 28.

Congrats on your new retired life and your brand new boat!! Life's good!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Congratulations Ed,

Diane and I bought a North Pacific 39 this summer. We are on the other side of the country in Connecticut. June 2014 is the freedom date for me.

Rob
Old 12-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks Rob; appreciate it. That magic date will be here in no time. There's only 6 NP-28's so far, and brand-new hull number 6 is for sale out there in Connecticut.

I hope Trevor sells it quickly so that production of more 28's can continue with more "little brothers" out there!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mr Fed,

Nice to have another smaller boat here on the forum. If you're up to a steep learning curve plunge into the older posts here. We've been at it for 5 years and there's a lot of threads that covered basic questions in great depth in the past. Twin v/s single screw ect ect.

Do you actually live in Blaine? We live in Concrete by the Skagit River ... 5 min walk.

You write "Hopefully our paths will cross." We go to the Barnes and Noble store at times in Bellingham. I'll try to PM you when we do that next.

I can only imagine what a brand new boat bust be like. Haven?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hello Eric

Thanks for the note. We have two condos, one in Seattle's Belltown and the other one in Birch Bay, next to Blaine. Our boat will be moored in Blaine, but I have yet to bring it up here as I purchased it in Oak Harbor. We're listing both condos and hopefully they'll sell soon so that we can buy a house. With the new boat I'll need a garage of my own to tinker.

When I bought a new cruiser motorcycle years ago, I joined a similar forum for bikers and learned more from it that I would have ever imagined. I am a dry sponge and anticipate learning much more in this forum.

Since retiring (09-30-12) we've been spending more time up in the Blaine condo than in Seattle and that takes us to Bellingham very often. Do you know Mr. Ed Brown, an aircraft mechanic/restorer who has his shop/hangar at the airport in Concrete?

Ed
Old 12-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ed Brown .... No but my Luscombe friend Ward surely does. He has a hanger up there too. Much more snow than here in extreme western Concrete. See your PM.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
Guru

City: coos bay
welcome. I retired....geez...almost two years ago and thery have been the busiest days of my life. Congradulations of your new boat and retirement

Britt
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the welcome

Coos Bay? Hmmm... I like what I saw there. Have been through once or twice, but never had the time to stop and explore and learn it as I would have preferred. Now that I have time, I will have to do that.

Thanks again!
Old 12-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Welcome aboard,

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks Sergio;

Muy Feliz Navidad to you.

Ed
Old 12-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Guru

You are fast :-) I'm from Brazil, Rio but I have a trawler in Fort Lauderdale that I intend to cruise to Brasil next Jan.
Great to have you here,

Old 12-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Cool! I'd love to go to Brazil some day. I was born in New York, was raised in Puerto Rico and after 3 years in Germany I have lived and worked in California, Texas, Georgia, New Mexico, Canada and just retired in Seattle. Blaine, Washington is home now until the end. My brother likes in Kissimmee, FL.

I guess when asked where I am from, I can honestly say: I am from all over!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
Guru

Join us, I intend to depart in Jan 20, changing some crew ( my wife x my San) in Puerto Rico after 14/17 days, going to Trinidad (more 2 weeks) than crossing the North of South America ( need crew) and North and Norteast of Braz ( also many beautiful places)

Old 12-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemao View Post
Join us, I intend to depart in Jan 20, changing some crew ( my wife x my San) in Puerto Rico after 14/17 days, going to Trinidad (more 2 weeks) than crossing the North of South America ( need crew) and North and Norteast of Braz ( also many beautiful places)

so how long will the trip take? I guess u will do lots of island hoping then stopping frequently along the coast of south America or do you have enough range to just go accross the open ocean?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
Guru

The total is about 6000 miles but I intend to divide in 2 maybe 3 legs.
The problem in the North of South America is that has 3 Guianas and I must stop in all of them to refuel. There are pirates and they must be carefull with me )
IF I go far from the coast, strait ahead, is short but I'll have a 3 knots of current, if I'll go close the coast, I have to take care with floating logs, fishing boats,... but zero current. It will be a problem to navigate during the night. We'll go slow and safely.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemao View Post
The total is about 6000 miles but I intend to divide in 2 maybe 3 legs.
The problem in the North of South America is that has 3 Guianas and I must stop in all of them to refuel. There are pirates and they must be carefull with me )
IF I go far from the coast, strait ahead, is short but I'll have a 3 knots of current, if I'll go close the coast, I have to take care with floating logs, fishing boats,... but zero current. It will be a problem to navigate during the night. We'll go slow and safely.
pirates huh...I guess this area has been know for them since almost day one. But what can you do but defend yourself? If u start throwing lead and they do the same then u will at the minimum have some damage. Guess what is needed is an rpg and just blow them outa the water
Sounds like you are a brave sailor. I will be looking forward to frequent updates on your trip. Would be nice if you could find a couple of other trawlers to sail with?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #18
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Ed. Congrats on the new boat. I have been on all of the NP line except for the 28. Purchased a used NP42 this past Sept. We boat out of Birch Bay, so we are neighbors. Hope to see you out on the water. Our boat is currently out of water, maintenance time. Will be ready to go soon. See ya, Dan and Pat.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks Dan;

I keep mine at Blaine on Gate 1. Can't miss it as you walk down the gangway. Stop by anytime and say hello.

Have you seen the new 49' NP in Blaine? It definitely stands out among the crowd. It can be seen from just about anywhere in town along Peace Portal.

Ed
Old 03-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs, FL
Vessel Name: No vessel
Ed,
Welcome aboard. Gotta say that we love the name of your boat. Cast off the lines and cruise wherever your heart desires!
JNandJN is offline   Reply With Quote