Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Just checking in.... (intro)

Hello. I found TF a few days ago when following a link to the thread on having marijuana on your boat. I looked around for awhile and found a lot of good information on here as well as some very knowledgeable people.

I'm an old grey haired goat who's been around boats for as long as I can recall. I got my first one, a row boat, on Lake Huron when I was 5, got a 7.5hp Evinrude for it when I was 7, then at age 11 I got a Sailfish. I went through many years of raising kids without a boat, then bought a 20' bowrider.

I had that for many years then upsized to a 330 Sundancer. After 2 years with that I got hit by a drunk driving his boat and my 'Dancer was totaled. I liked the boat so well I bought one just like it.

Two years ago we upsized again to a 550 Sedan Bridge that I bought in Michigan and had shipped to Portland, OR where it was reassembled. My wife and I (She goes by GW--Galley Wench) cruise it up and down the Columbia and Snake Rivers and have put 165 hours on it just in the past year.

OK, OK, I know it's not a trawler, but if money were no object I'd have a new Nordy. Does that qualify me for hanging out here? I hope so.

Here's a couple of pics of our baby....

Beachcomber is powered by twin turbocharged CAT 3406C's that turn out 580hp each. She's pretty fuel efficient at hull speed, getting somewhere around 1mpg. We haven't had her on any real long trips yet, but did spend 12 days aboard earlier this summer when we cruised to Portland for the Blues Festival.
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Welcome aboard.
Your boat she's a beaut
You are right lot's of good folks on the forum.
Jump right in.

Both feet.

No one bites but Woody and Gonzo.

SD
Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post

No one bites but Woody and Gonzo.

SD
Pineapple Girl and Cpeudonym are still teething, but they're sharpening their Mod incisors. Watch out for them!!

Welcome GFC! Nice Sea Ray ya got there. We don't discriminate here, as long as you agree to travel at displacement speed or less in the no wake zones.

Love the waters of the Columbia and Willamette. Would love to travel the rivers and lakes to Lewiston, ID someday. Is it still navigable? What a trip that would be!
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Personally I don't care what kind of boat you have. You like boats therefore you belong here.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
GFC
Guru

Thanks for the comments on the boat and the warm welcome.

For the record, I do travel at idle in No Wake Zones, but I'm afraid I still toss up a bit of a wake. My idle speed is right around 8 kits, so when I'm in one I generally go in and out of gear to keep the speed down.

Flywright, Yes, the Snake is navigable up to Lewiston, but once you get there it's a bit chance getting into the marinas because of sand buildup at the entrances. But any time you're up in this area, give me a shout and I'll treat you to a cold one..

RTF, no offense taken. We all have our preferences. That's why they make more than one kind of boat.
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
. My idle speed is right around 8 kits, so when I'm in one I generally go in and out of gear to keep the speed down.
Eight-knot idle speed? Yikes! The "no-wake" speed limit in California is 5 MPH (less than 5 knots). My boat's max speed is 7.3 knots.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Eight-knot idle speed? Yikes! The "no-wake" speed limit in California is 5 MPH (less than 5 knots). My boat's max speed is 7.3 knots.
7 knots no wake speed up here on Lake Union/Lake Washington.

GFC- welcome! I'm fairly new here, and find the natives pretty friendly!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I don't care how fast GFC goes. I'd go 22knots if I had his boat and enough money for fuel. I'm not into the boat style but I'll but it's wildly comfortable inside. L'd even go for the FB on this one. 1000hp?????? yippeeeeeeee
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I don't care how fast GFC goes. I'd go 22knots if I had his boat and enough money for fuel. I'm not into the boat style but I'll but it's wildly comfortable inside. L'd even go for the FB on this one. 1000hp?????? yippeeeeeeee
Ummm, maybe the mods better check how Marin got hold of Eric's avatar?
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Thanks Andy. We'll look into it now.

Welcome aboard GFC!

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #11

City: Athens Georgia
Vessel Name: Meandering Joy
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Your boat is beautiful. Looks like it has plenty of room to hide your stash!
steve poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
7 knots no wake speed up here on Lake Union/Lake Washington.

GFC- welcome! I'm fairly new here, and find the natives pretty friendly!
Welcome, you'll do fine around here. Like your boat. We crossed over to the Bahamas in 2010 with one like it.

Just watch out for the topic creep. He can show up when least expected.

https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
GFC
Guru

"I'm not into the boat style but I'll but it's wildly comfortable inside. L'd even go for the FB on this one. "

Manyboats, here are two shots of 'my office'. The second one is me navigating up the Columbia from Portland because we didn't have a working chip for the GPS. We made the trip using the compass and chart book. Old methods still have a place in today's electronic world.

Here's both sides of the salon. Stbd galley has refrig, freezer, trash compactor, convection microwave, coffee maker and ice maker. Oh, and a liquor cabinet at the end of the counter on the stbd wall.

The port side has the lower helm, entertainment center and dining table.

The boat has three staterooms, two full heads and lots of storage space and hanging locker space. Those pretty much sum up the reasons we bought her.

Pau Hana, thanks for the welcome and heads up on the friendly guys. I like that. There's enough bitc*ing in the world without running into it on boating sites.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Thread creep!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
GFC
Guru

On a related note, how the heck do I turn off the feature that sends me a loving email every time someone replies to one of the threads I've posted on?

It's like having a steering wheel sticking out of my pants....it's driving me nuts!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
On a related note, how the heck do I turn off the feature that sends me a loving email every time someone replies to one of the threads I've posted on?
User Control Panel -- edit options -- messaging and notification -- default thread subscription mode -- set to no email notification
Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly
Greetings,
Personally I don't care what kind of boat you have. You like boats therefore you belong here.
That's right! Welcome!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #18
GFC
Guru

"User Control Panel -- edit options -- messaging and notification -- default thread subscription mode -- set to no email notification "
Done. Thanks Mark
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
OK, who let Moonstruck out? Down boy....be nice to the stranger...he seems like a nice guy.

Oh, waitaminute...you didn't say you had a lower helm on the wrong side!! What is that, a SeaRay from down under?

Seriously, I'd love to share a cold one with you, GFC. I plan to be in Portland/Vancouver area next spring on a fishing trip with a friend who lives near Woodland, WA. I've had the good fortune to meet several of our TF members over the past few years and have yet to meet one in person I would hesitate to call a friend. Definitely lots of great folks here.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
GFC,
Welcome to the Dark side of Boating.. we both used to hang out in the same place.. I still spend 99% of my time here on TF as the crew here is a great bunch and a wealth of information ( no matter if you request it or not ). Your 550 is a great looking boat and I noticed her while we were out East this summer skiing in the " Mud Hole". The Trawler Forum has a few Sea Ray owners here , I still count as one as the 400ec we have is what is keeping us from signing on our next trawler. Your boat is really a great way to "Go First Class "
Welcome Aboard
HOLLYWOOD ( aka Expressboy )
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote