Island Gypsy 44 1983 gas mileage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antipodes

Good Evening all,

I am brand spanking new to the trawler forum and have been reading some post's and its great to find people so friendly, even if questions posed cannot always be answered.

I have been sailing for 37 years and its time to move on. My wife and I want to live-aboard and travel. Great Loop, Caribbean to mention a few.

Not that we are naïve, but that first hmmm moment was when we started calculating fuel costs and this has prompted me to ask this question. I have done internet searches, forum searches and have not come up with a lot of information.

We are looking at an Island Gypsy 44' 1983 which has 2 * 135hp Ford Lehman 6 cylinders engines.

Question.
1. We were told that the gas consumption is 2.5 gallons per hour per engine at 9 knots, which I think is very optimistic. Would anyone have a more realistic experience or data?

2. The gas tanks are apparently steel and might need replacing after 31 years. They definitely would not fit through the engine hatch cover as it is less than 2 feet sq. I suppose they could be cut apart if need be, however how would the new ones be installed.

Thank you for reading and chat soon.

If you want a boat to live aboard and travel, the first thing I would recommend is crossing gasoline powered boats off your list. Diesel is safer and more economical to operate.

The Lehmans are diesel. That's about correct on the gph if you're doing 7-8 kts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom