Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #21
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstar3659 View Post
Hello Dan
Great waterways you have very long distances too , you asked me what kind of building material i would prefere , well its not easy to answer but for your trip on sweet water its more depending of what you can get for the money you can spend, if you will use the boat on salt water too i would prefere grp it will safe you a lot of work preventing rust
I would take a heavy bulky boat of say about 12 mtr with a single diesel of about 120 hp , cruising with hullspeed will save you a lot of fuel. You need a big fueltank of about 1000 ltr and. 500 ltr drinkingwater we over here have a lot of little steel trawlers but i think you have more grp build ships , for your trip the smallest grandbanks by example would be my choise it will do the job fine
My American Tug almost fits the specificities you mentioned.
I carry about 1500 liters of fuel, about 568 liters of fuel, OAL including the swim platform is about 11 meters. I also have a water maker. Guess I am a bit shy on the volume of fuel. It is a fiberglass hull, about 12 tons. At best, one would call it a coastal tug. Empty draft = 1 meter. It has a Cummins QSB 5.9. Advertised: 380 HP at 3000 RPM, top speed of approximately 17 knots.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Did Noah have a get home-engine?
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:07 AM   #22
Member
 
gulfstar3659's Avatar
 
City: Bemmel
Country: Nederland
Vessel Name: Jessi
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 trawler
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 17
Smile Submariner too

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
My American Tug almost fits the specificities you mentioned.
I carry about 1500 liters of fuel, about 568 liters of fuel, OAL including the swim platform is about 11 meters. I also have a water maker. Guess I am a bit shy on the volume of fuel. It is a fiberglass hull, about 12 tons. At best, one would call it a coastal tug. Empty draft = 1 meter. It has a Cummins QSB 5.9. Advertised: 380 HP at 3000 RPM, top speed of approximately 17 knots.
He Old Dan perfect boat looks good,and the richt dimensions and weight etc, noticed you have been a submariner , i sailed on them too, dieselboats very silent been on a Guppy once , was in the periode the Britisch had the Oberon class en the russians the Foxtrot , together with my mate ,later we had boats together 25 years and a little wharf.
Succes with your boat.
__________________

gulfstar3659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:24 AM   #23
Member
 
gulfstar3659's Avatar
 
City: Bemmel
Country: Nederland
Vessel Name: Jessi
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 trawler
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Welcome aboard. Gulfstars are Florida built boats and were well built. Usually built-in/integrated/GRP fuel, water and holding tanks, and thick GRP hulls. Good luck with the search.
Thanks FC, bought one yesterday see my album prictures
gulfstar3659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:21 AM   #24
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstar3659 View Post
He Old Dan perfect boat looks good,and the richt dimensions and weight etc, noticed you have been a submariner , i sailed on them too, dieselboats very silent been on a Guppy once , was in the periode the Britisch had the Oberon class en the russians the Foxtrot , together with my mate ,later we had boats together 25 years and a little wharf.
Succes with your boat.
In the 60s, I was on the SSBN 627 and the SSBBN 630. I was trained in nuclear power main propulsion. Now, I am dummer than a rock. SMIRK
My AT34, to me, fulfills my needs but only if I stop screwing with it. LOL
__________________
Did Noah have a get home-engine?
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #25
Guru
 
Moonfish's Avatar


 
City: Port Townsend, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 965
Welcome aboard!

And go Oranje!
__________________
Darren
Port Townsend, WA
m/v Traveler - '79 Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:51 AM   #26
Member
 
gulfstar3659's Avatar
 
City: Bemmel
Country: Nederland
Vessel Name: Jessi
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 trawler
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
In the 60s, I was on the SSBN 627 and the SSBBN 630. I was trained in nuclear power main propulsion. Now, I am dummer than a rock. SMIRK
My AT34, to me, fulfills my needs but only if I stop screwing with it. LOL
Hello old Dan
You are not getting dummer but more or less board of al the dumb things that happen around you, dumb talk of treehuckers and politician etc etc
We have seen it all and just want to be left in peace on our boat , somewhere in a nice corner of the world talking with nice people who have a diesel boat and dont want to argue with us wether we would change our diesel for batteries
gulfstar3659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:43 AM   #27
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstar3659 View Post
Hello old Dan
You are not getting dummer but more or less board of al the dumb things that happen around you, dumb talk of treehuckers and politician etc etc
We have seen it all and just want to be left in peace on our boat , somewhere in a nice corner of the world talking with nice people who have a diesel boat and dont want to argue with us wether we would change our diesel for batteries
LOL gotta laugh because after I left the service, I became a professional forester.
I was not a tree hugger but rather, a forest manager.
Personally, I like diesels.... when you hear them running, it is so reassuring. SMIRK
Batteries are meant to keep the lights on in-between running the generator or main engine or hooked to shore power.
Yes, I have a couple of 130watt solar panels with the intent to extend the battery life when all else fails.
Can I fix everything on the boat? Nope, not a chance but, I can call in technicians I can trust. I can watch those technicians I cant trust..... You see, I remember enough "to do" stuff but my body no longer folds nor spindles as when I was younger.
__________________
Did Noah have a get home-engine?
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:57 AM   #28
Member
 
gulfstar3659's Avatar
 
City: Bemmel
Country: Nederland
Vessel Name: Jessi
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 trawler
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
LOL gotta laugh because after I left the service, I became a professional forester.
I was not a tree hugger but rather, a forest manager.
Personally, I like diesels.... when you hear them running, it is so reassuring. SMIRK
Batteries are meant to keep the lights on in-between running the generator or main engine or hooked to shore power.
Yes, I have a couple of 130watt solar panels with the intent to extend the battery life when all else fails.
Can I fix everything on the boat? Nope, not a chance but, I can call in technicians I can trust. I can watch those technicians I cant trust..... You see, I remember enough "to do" stuff but my body no longer folds nor spindles as when I was younger.

Thats right Dan, what do you mean by LOL and SMIRK i am not very used to your shortcuts !
OK Treehugger is the right spelling, we call people treehugger if they have not got any notion of how things work and what we have to do to make it work , they just call: make every thing greener, than walk away to Mc Donalds and eat a pound of beef. They are like seagulls they come in screaming, shit over your live and are gone within a second without leaving something usefull. Ha Ha.
Saw some pictures of your SSBN biiiiiig boats , reasuring they are in good hands!

Looked at some information about your boat, sturdy boat good dimensions for a long trip, do you have foto's of the inside / engine ? what is the best way to send foto's to you / any thread. ? so i can send some of my boat and the previous ones.
gulfstar3659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #29
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstar3659 View Post
Saw some pictures of your SSBN biiiiiig boats , reasuring they are in good hands!

Looked at some information about your boat, sturdy boat good dimensions for a long trip, do you have foto's of the inside / engine ? what is the best way to send foto's to you / any thread. ? so i can send some of my boat and the previous ones.
All the Polaris boats from the 60s have long since been scrapped, cut up and recycled.

Per pics of my AT, they all pretty much look the same. If you search for the American Tug home page, you will find LOTS of pictures. There are some used ATs for sale too. They might give you even more pictures.
__________________

__________________
Did Noah have a get home-engine?
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×