Old 03-15-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Ellensburg
Vessel Name: Irene Mae
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Ignition lock out

New member here.My surveyor remarked about our "new to us" CHB 41 that the transmission lock out was not installed. That means it can start in gear. Anyone have that issue and anyone have a wiring diagram so I can solve the problem.
Loon
Loon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
No. Gear shift must be dead-center neutral for the engine to start. It has caused embarrassing moments when engine wouldn't start.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loon View Post
New member here.My surveyor remarked about our "new to us" CHB 41 that the transmission lock out was not installed. That means it can start in gear. Anyone have that issue and anyone have a wiring diagram so I can solve the problem.
Loon
What kind of transmission? Many have the switch on them or at least a spot to mount one.

The switch breaks the connection between the start button/key/whatever and the starter solenoid in most cases.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Loon
Lots of boats (including ours) do not have this feature, not because they are broken or missing but because they were not built with them in the first place. To my knowledge, they are not a general requirement although they can be a benefit to have.

If the operator's manual for your boat calls out this feature, or if the boat's electrical schematic shows a lockout to be part of the system, it's possible it has been removed. If the manual and schematic show no such lockout, it's possible the boat was manufactured without them.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks, I'll dig a little more ..I do not have an electrical schematic but will see if I can find a relay on the transmission. BW on a Perkins..
Old 03-15-2015, 09:53 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Thanks, I'll dig a little more ..I do not have an electrical schematic but will see if I can find a relay on the transmission. BW on a Perkins..
FWIW we have BW Velvet Drives on our 1973 boat and neither one of them has, or ever had, a starter lockout system on them.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
If it's a BW there should either be a switche on it that is not hooked up or the spot to put one. It is usually directly across from the shift lever on the tranny.

9.jpg Photo by antlr-king | Photobucket

I advise you get them. Cheap insurance. I don't really see the point in not having them. They are not expensive.

Neutral Safety Switches from Velvet Drive Transmission
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
Guru

City: Phoenix, AZ
Vessel Name: Enigma
Vessel Model: 1997 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE
As stated by markpierce above the lock out switch may be incorporated into the shifter mechanism and not the transmission. So while the there is no lock out on the transmission on your CHB 41 it may be incorporated into the shifter mechanisim. Meaning the switch isn't where the surveyor expected it and the feature does exist anyway.

And that feature is necessary in my opinon. Starting the engine while the transmission is in gear isn't an experience that you would want on your bucket list. Especially if this is NOT what you are expecting when you move the key or push that starter button. That experience could move your pride and joy into something hard.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Action is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
While I agree that there's no reason not to have one other than the possibility of yet another point of failure....I don't see the usefulness on a large, slow trawler as much as maybe some other boats.

The major concern to me would be swimmers in the water near the platform. Other than that, starting say my boat in gear, things happen so slow and gentle that I'm not sure it would do anything but cause a hard start under some rare circumstances.

I know because it has happened several times...mostly when I was playing around seeing if I had one and what happens when I do start in gear.

Anyone with ABYC reauirements? I will bet they require one or suggest it.

Probably will hook one up eventually.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
Guru

City: gulf coast
My Teleflex shifters had them installed there not the transmission.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #11
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Mine has a pretty high power to weight ratio, so for safety I installed the switch. Even on a low power trawler I think it is a good idea. Really don't see a downside. Some folks are a bit slack checking the sticks before hitting the button and by the time you figure out what to do, something or someone can get crunched. Had some kids messing with levers too despite being told explicity to NOT TOUCH. Boat was taken back to the dock for a prompt dis-invite.

Anyhow, if your gear has a provision for the switch, I'd recommend hooking it up. BW and zf 280 it is just a screw in switch, simple simple. Other gears it has to be either on the helm or some sort of bracketed thing on the gear, those are a bit of PITA.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I checked and do have the item Capt. Bill 11 has shown in his fine photo. No wires attached however. I'll see if i can find a wiring diagram to see the best place to put it in line and see if it still works or if i need a new one.
Thanks everyone.
loon
Old 03-18-2015, 05:55 AM   #13

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
I agree they are a good idea but the conveniently exposed levers are just as much a hazard when the engines are running. Something to keep in mind when others are aboard and engines are being warmed up or with multiple stations while underway or any other time the engines are running...
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #14
Guru

I don't have a neutral safety switch on my BW tranny either.
One time I tried to start it without realizing it was not in neutral and the engine would not start. The turning prop put enough load on the engine that that starter was turning it too slow to fire it up.
I should try it sometime with new batteries to see what happens.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock-out, transmission, wiring