I See a Trawler in My Future. :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steady Hand

Vessel Make
Available as Crew on OPB 2017
Howdy and Ahoy!

I am not yet a trawler owner, but I see one in my future. Until then, I hope to learn from you all. I will read, search the archives first, and share what I can if I think I have something that may help someone here. I may have a few questions as I am always curious and like to learn.

Some of you may recognize me from the Cruiser's Forum, where I am a member too. While I love sailboats, I also like "motorsailers" (and pilot house sailboats like Fishers and Nauticats and no-sail boats like the Dashew FPB). I appreciate trawlers too, whether they have sails or not, though I admit my knowledge of them is much less than what I know about sailboats. That is why I am here. :)

Despite 40+ years of studying boats, varied experiences sailing, and a few thousand miles of blue water under my keel, I claim no expertise in sailing or boating here on this forum and humbly come with open mind and wide ranging curiosity, ready to learn and to enjoy a gam. I am open to learning from anyone, be they old salts or those who have less experience or years or miles. If we meet someday, I would be happy to help you as crew or share a brew or a yarn or two.

As a sailor, I consider myself a "cruiser" at heart, as I more enjoy seeing things and places, rather than racing. I also admire classic and traditional boats (e.g. gaff rigged, wood, classic motor yachts, motorsailers, both power and sail) and contemporary boats and would enjoy sailing on any boat of any size or age. While I got my start in sailing, I expect my final days will be on a trawler after I retire. Lately I have been thinking of how nice it would be to have a good trawler for cruising up the ICW and doing the Big Loop and as a live aboard after I retire. Until then, I hope to learn as much as I can about the boats and get more experience. At present I am landlocked in Texas, but I intend to move to a coast in 2016.

My previous boating experience has been on sailboats. I am not a hard-core racer, but I have sailed and raced on many boats, such as dinghies and small boats like a Thistle, Prindle 18 Cat, Cal 20, a classic wood Folk Boat, J-24s and J-29s, Hobie 33, J-35, as well as larger boats like Beneteaus, Jeanneau 42 and others. As part of a competitive race crew I sailed on San Francisco Bay while changing headsails in 20+ knots winds on the cold and wet pitching foredeck of a J-35 in many races. I was a trimmer on an offshore race to the Farallons on a Santa Cruz 50 ULDB "sled" at 20+ knots (boat speed!) and got time steering a Farr 40 race boat on a fast run during an overnight race in high seas off the California coast. I have experienced both a true strong gale and flat calm while on a 30 day 2,500 mile passage from Hawaii to San Francisco on a 37 foot sloop (I was the navigator and no GPS was used).

Art and sailing are two of my passions. I enjoy discussing and sharing them with others. I particularly like traditional or classic boats. While I cannot post a link to my website here, you can see proof of my passion for traditional and classic boats by simply googling my name (Steadman Uhlich + Marine Paintings) or look for me on Facebook (Steadman Uhlich). :)

Wow! You are very talented. Very nice art work.

Now get to work painting some trawlers. ?

Thanks! Every artist hopes their work is liked by someone in addition to their mother.

Your last line made me chuckle! :D

Steady...

More than a couple of sail boat converts here on TF... were open minded and doubt anyone would hold it against you...some might offer praises for "seeing the light":socool:

Just kidding :hello:

Welcome aboard

Howdy Don!

Thanks for the nice words of welcome.
I have spent several hours reading on this forum, just starting to soak it in. :)

Was the painting of the Bahamian smack boats painted from a picture, or from your memory? And is the original still available for purchase?

Last edited:
Welcome! nice work, reminds me of Winslow Homer, one of my favorites.

I presume it's time to "settle" with a less demanding boat, with comfortable accommodations. Having done that myself, I've no regrets yet retain fond memories.

Was the painting of the Bahamian smack boats painted from a picture, or from your memory? And is the original still available for purchase?

Howdy Captain Bill!

Thank you for your interest! :)

Since you may have seen something via a google image search, I am very glad you like the art images (watercolors) I make as I do too. It is always nice for an artist to know their art appeals to someone out in the world. :)

I will try to answer your nice question below, but I also have to be careful what I say here because I am a new forum member (I came to this forum to learn about trawlers as I may buy one in the future) and I am not here to sell or market my artwork on this forum. But, I enjoy my art, enjoy seeing what boats others see, and always enjoy finding out that others like my artwork too. So, I don't mind discussing my art below, but I will not mention any prices or selling stuff here, so I don't break any forum rules. I hope you understand. :)

Bahamian Sloops and Other Traditional Boats:
I have admired the Bahamian sloops for many years, and some years ago I thought I should paint some, as I like the big sails and the big crews (out on the boards) and the colors of the water. When I get to the Bahamas in the future, I will make a point of spending a lot of time observing and sketching and photographing the sloops for my future work. Similarly, I hope to sail/cruise on the Chesapeake sometime in the future, and my heart is set on seeing, photographing, and painting some of the Racing Canoes and Skipjacks there. :)

I am often asked how I paint.
In short, I prefer to see accurate renditions of the lines of a boat (the form and shape) and strive to show them accurately. But, I have also got a preference for color and simple forms. I used to want to see highly detailed and photorealistic paintings (I carefully studied classic marine paintings when I went to art museums in New England and New York and other cities), but I have moved from that to wanting to see something else.

I have done many paintings, but not all are online yet (only about 20 of the 100s I have painted). One of my tasks this coming year is to build a new website gallery where I can feature the rest of my paintings and drawings, as there are hundreds.

At this point, what one might see online of my marine paintings (if one Google searches "Steadman Uhlich Marine Paintings") is just a very small sample of my work. Some are more "photographic" (they look like a photo) and hard to see as paintings if only viewed online at small sizes (the details and textures of a typical watercolor paintings are lost when the image is reduced to display online, making them appear more like a photograph), while others have less detail and a different look (usually a matter of color and larger shapes). I like both, but strive to get away from photorealism and am constantly trying to move myself to a more "painterly" final image/art. :)

My boat sources?
Because I want to accurately depict sailing and boats, I use photographs as reference images, particularly because I may never see some boats in person. I have been studying and drawing and painting boats and marine subjects for a long time (40+ years), but I don't consider myself an expert and still struggle with making the finished image look like I want it to look. This is a curse of an artist I suppose. :D

One of the pet peeves I have is seeing artwork of boats where the boats do not look "real" or accurately drawn (usually the sails look off or rigging looks weird or hull proportions look odd). I sometimes make paintings based on public domain archival photographs (old antique photos) and sometimes from contemporary photos I make or others provide to me (for a commissioned paintings, as "spec" work, or just as a favor so I can paint a type of boat). By the way, I am always open to seeing new boats of all types as I enjoy making paintings and art. So, I have an evergreen appeal to any sailor/boater that I would love to see the boats they see (and photograph) because I cannot be in all places with my own eyes and camera. I particularly like old or traditional styled boats, but also like tugs and "working boats" too.

The Bahamian sloops?
More recently, I came across a photo posted by a sailing forum friend of mine (on CF) and he had several nice snapshots of two sloops that I used as a basis or reference photo for a quick painting. I first asked for his permission and carefully explained how I would use the photo as a reference image and why. He agreed, as most sailors do, and I enjoyed painting it. It is not his boat, just what he saw when he was down in the Bahamas for Family Regatta Race Day. If you or others have any photos of the Bahamian Sloops, Skipjacks, Gaffers, or perhaps a "Wooden Boat Festival" or some nice photos of boats sailing (not at a dock) I would be very glad to see them. :)

At this time, I don't sell my original paintings, but I will sell relatively low priced custom made reproduction prints of them to the size and type of print my clients would like, everything from 12x12" to larger prints, some on paper and some on stretched canvas (no need to frame). Some of my art images have been made on large canvases (up to five feet tall) and some on very large canvases (5 feet by 10 feet). Most I make are smaller (12x12 or 20x20) and I consider those a good size for most homes, offices, or even a boat.

One of the things I am exploring now, is making my marine paintings more accessible and affordable to the public, and in a different manner than my earlier work. Why? One major reason is because there is so little room on a typical boat bulkhead to display artwork. This may also mean making the reproductions in different media or materials so people can enjoy a painting of their boat on something other than just a framed print or canvas. As odd as that sounds, I have seen some things that I would want on my own future boat (e.g. coffee mugs or throw pillows, T-shirts, and other things with a marine art image on them), so I am exploring that so I can provide that option to others. One other aspect of this is shipping artwork, so I tend to make things that are easy to ship and at minimal cost to the buyer, even if they are abroad (I have the items printed local to the buyer and shipped to them that way).

I will be happy to tell you more, but would prefer to do so in a more private communication (email or phone or Skype) rather than on the forum. :) It is very easy to get just what you might want for your home/boat/office.

And finally, I hope I have not broken any forum rules here by answering your question in public in this thread. If anyone has further questions about these images or custom art, it is probably best to ask them in a Private Message or email to me and we can discuss it further from there. :)

Last edited:
Welcome! nice work, reminds me of Winslow Homer, one of my favorites.

Howdy Steve!

Thanks for that nice compliment!

Homer is one of my favorites too! I was really inspired by him and have looked with awe at his work on many occasions and spent hours soaking in his goodness. :)

I certainly can't claim to be anything like the talented painter he was, as I still struggle with making my paintings look how I envision them, but I do admire his work greatly and am always inspired by his example. :)

In fact, his paintings of men of the sea, watermen, sailors, and boats have been probably the strongest influence on my desire to be a painter of marine subjects. Secondly, the "Hudson River School" of painters, and their depictions of sailing craft of the 19th century made a very big impression on me too.

I presume it's time to "settle" with a less demanding boat, with comfortable accommodations. Having done that myself, I've no regrets yet retain fond memories.

Howdy Mark!

Well, I am still "young" at heart (55) and hope to do some serious offshore sailing in the future, but realistically, I am looking at what I would want to live on for the next 10 years or so, while living and working (not ready to retire yet) in a coastal city. I have spent thousands of hours looking at sailboats, but relatively few hours (100?) looking seriously at trawlers as a potential boat for my future on the water home before I retire.

The more I look, the more I like what I see in the trawler, as my more immediate use would be living in a marina in a coastal city (probably East Coast). :)

I only wish I could afford a Diesel Duck now, as that would suit me just fine for what I have in mind, perhaps in the far future (10 years). :)

But, until I move to a coast (soon) I have to look but not touch. :D

By the way, I realize you are a former sailor, and I have admired your Coot for over a year after I first saw photos of it on CF. I look at it carefully, with admiration for what a stout and sturdy looking vessel she is. :)

My main point is that I love boats, and would enjoy sailing/motoring on a trawler and sailing on a sailboat. So, circumstances may make it more prudent to get the trawler first, then a sailboat later. :)

I can't believe you guys made me look at a page of sailboat pics!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ste...LYgKHYYZDd0Q_AUIBygB&biw=1242&bih=585#imgrc=_

Very nice art! I agree...it's time to start painting boats with power and character that look different from one another. :hide:

Seriously, glad to have you aboard, Steady Hand. Hope you enjoy the journey.

Howdy Al!

Thanks for the nice welcoming words! :)

When I was a young boy, I used to admire (and be inspired, still am) by a painting my mother made of a ship she saw in New York City when she visited there in about 1941. So, I like "steam ships" tugs, and freighters, and modern or contemporary power vessels too.

My particular fascination is with the beautiful lines of some yachts from the 1920s and 1930s, a time when styling was dependent on wood.

Also, Al, thanks for providing the link in your signature to the Google Custom Search function for this forum. I am a member of CF, and it is one of the things I share with new forum members to help them search for answers. When I just joined TF, I noticed there is not a drop down menu item for a GCS, only a forum search, and the two function very differently, as I see it.

I prefer the GCS, and so have used your link (thanks!) and have spent many hours recently reading some of the archived threads on topics I have in mind.

May you have clean fuel and calm seas!
Steady

And finally, I hope I have not broken any forum rules here by answering your question in public in this thread.

No worries, Steady. You're doing just fine. Great to have you aboard!

Sailboats are great (a communion with nature); the only type of boat I operated before my current boat. Nevertheless, I've gotten too old to operate large sails and too over-exposed in an open cockpit to handle a sailboat anymore. Thus, I treasure operating from an enclosed pilothouse and am not disappointed with travelling at six knots.

Seeadler, 28.5-foot sloop Columbia Defender, DeWitt sails, Diane Beeston photo, era mid-1960s.

Can no longer imagine handling the spinnaker pole on the forward deck without lifelines nor lifejacket.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom