I know nothing about Trawlers, but boated lots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fiberglass, steel, or aluminum?
Do i have to run twin diesels in the 60 to 70 foot range?
Preferably a top quality single is my dream boat as I am not going for big speeds.
Best engines are what a Cat or yanmar or????
Top quality boats are who? Reliable is key from systems to wiring, to switches and hull as well as just fancy cabinet doors and wood.
Selene, Kadeey, or one of the many many others...i have no preference at this time.
Walk around or full width cabin?
Side doors and how many are best?
Electronics....what do i really need anyways?
What water makers and freezers and generators and batteries and.....?
Can i fish a litte off it if it has a friend or my GT captaining it? Yes i get that trolling and netting are not going to be super easy off it....but dang i want to fish some to and not just from the tender if any possible way?
Heating and cooling?
Legal issues to roam the many oceans and seas? Jail doesn't sound like fun!

Fly - Regarding anything I might add to get in line with your quote above: Seems you and da TF Crew are covering all points required for general BBS (boat bull shat!) to soon realize we are all crazy... why else would we be owning and discussing how to get/own more/bigger/faster/cooler holes in water that each consume gooooobs of cash??!!

Anyway - Turns out that this week on our Tolly I ran into family that just purchased 2007 43' Chris for SF Delta fun and is selling their 2010 60' OA in Canada. I'm not sure where in Canada, don't know for how much $$, and never saw photo. But, do know that their for sale OA has very low hours use. I was wondering if you might be interested in the 60' OA?? If so, I could try to find out coordinates for ya.

Happy Boat-Search/Choice Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Fly - Regarding anything I might add to get in line with your quote above: Seems you and da TF Crew are covering all points required for general BBS (boat bull shat!) to soon realize we are all crazy... why else would we be owning and discussing how to get/own more/bigger/faster/cooler holes in water that each consume gooooobs of cash??!!

Anyway - Turns out that this week on our Tolly I ran into family that just purchased 2007 43' Chris for SF Delta fun and is selling their 2010 60' OA in Canada. I'm not sure where in Canada, don't know for how much $$, and never saw photo. But, do know that their for sale OA has very low hours use. I was wondering if you might be interested in the 60' OA?? If so, I could try to find out coordinates for ya.

Happy Boat-Search/Choice Daze! - Art :speed boat:

I will Google OA because I have zero idea what that is. ☺
Thanks ☺☺☺

That was cool.
Jet pumps are impractical for anything but rivers due to being very inefficient, but a blast to run on stuff or up 3 or 4 inches of water at 50 mph.

First, welcome. Jets are used a lot in the commercial passenger market due to the increased speed offered. I've run two, three, and four engine jets to 60ft and I'm currently bringing a 38ft twin jet aluminum crew boat back to life.

As for your dream boat, don't discount steel. Aluminum is going to be pretty rare in the size range your looking and fiberglass will be the most common. For a true round the world cruiser, you need a serious hull with commercial quality equipment and redundant systems. Some sort of stabilization is mandatory. Fuel capacity and the ability to clean it is critical. I wouldn't go without a top of the line autopilot. Nordhavn is probably the 800lb gorrila in that market but there are plenty of one off customs too. Delta is another that comes to mind. As for short handed sailing, a couple can easily deal with even a 90 footer. I pretty much single handed an 85ft steel yacht for three years as the owner was unable to get off until I put out the steps. For ocean crossing, only two aboard will leave you exhausted quickly, even before bad weather, mechanical issues or any of the million other attention grabbers rob your sleep. I'd recomend taking a year or two looking at as many suitable boats as possible. Hit the big boat shows, walk aboard as many as you can and enjoy the journey.

As for your dream boat, don't discount steel. Aluminum is going to be pretty rare in the size range your looking and fiberglass will be the most common. For a true round the world cruiser,

Coastal Craft does make a very nice aluminum boat, 40'-60'. However, they do have higher speed than you're seeking and they're leaning heavily if not exclusively to IPS propulsion.

Coastal Craft does make a very nice aluminum boat, 40'-60'. However, they do have higher speed than you're seeking and they're leaning heavily if not exclusively to IPS propulsion.

The problem with speed is range is reduced to useless levels on most boats.
If they put 20k gallon fuel tanks in them no problem as the range would be there.
But they put tiny tanks in most boats.
For ocean crossing boats I wish instead of weighting the keels they would make them fuel tanks to hold many many many thousands of pounds of fuel.
Burn it off last as your nearer your destination and not still 1500 miles out to see.
I'm always finding nearly every boat made regardless of size is wayyyyy under fuel tanked.
Even fishing boats can often not run out to the good fishing, troll for 8 hours and run home.
Even a recreational fisherman like me wants the ability to run out 150 or 200 miles and fish and go home.
Yet the makers instead give them no reasonable range.
Part of the reason I had my jetboat custom made, and not a mass produced boat was to triple the fuel tank size most have.

You should see my current kingfisher and the stares i get when i put 40 jerry cans of gas in my aluminum boat.

Last edited:
While not a fishing boat, my 34-footer, 310-gallon fuel capacity, has a range between 1000 to 1200 miles (more if one pays attention to the builder's claim). I typically use half the fuel-tank capacity for local cruising, lasting most of a year. ... Surely there's a boat the will fit your needs, hopefully one that's affordable.

Originally Posted by Hurrying Nowhere
If they put 20k gallon fuel tanks in them no problem as the range would be there.

To increase range dramatically, interior living space would be reduced just as much, not a compromise most builders are willing to make due to a much more limited market. The truth is that most boats spend the majority of their time at the dock, even after long passages, so more lounging space wins.

"For ocean crossing boats I wish instead of weighting the keels they would make them fuel tanks to hold many many many thousands of pounds of fuel.Burn it off last as your nearer your destination and not still 1500 miles out to see.

The keel's job is to lower the center of gravity and provide a righting moment that will make sure the boat stays upright. Fuel is lighter than lead or steel, so to get an equivilant amount of weight down low, the keel would have to be bigger, causing more drag and reduced speed and mileage. Once you removed that fuel, to make the boat safe, you would have to refill the keel with water, making the next use for fuel problematic. Fuel tanks are used for ballast tanks all the time on ships, but they have systems for cleaning them aboard, or will hire pierside tank cleaning contractors. So, to get a long range boat, you need to either sacrafice livable space, get a bigger boat, or carry fuel in temporary bladders or other devices. Generally, boats like Nordhavn's that are built to cross oceans will have less interior space than a similar sized yacht that cruises a few weeks or months a year.

While not a fishing boat, my 34-footer, 310-gallon fuel capacity, has a range between 1000 to 1200 miles (more if one pays attention to the builder's claim). I typically use half the fuel-tank capacity for local cruising, lasting most of a year. ... Surely there's a boat the will fit your needs, hopefully one that's affordable.

Mark thanks so much for your reply.
I should have been clearer about my use of the term recreational fish boats.
I meant more like i have owned that are faster, but poor range.
Would seem to make sense to build them with the range to run out and fish a day or 2 or 3, and then run home.
But they don't.
My Worldcat was the best i had and even it was poor.
My Boston whaler, Sea Hunter, North River, Lifetimer, Kingfishers all had poor range.
Jet boats for river running are rhe worst.
My current boat only has 300 gallon gas tank feeding twin 300 yamahas.
It should have a minimum of triple the fuel tank size, and that would be borderline small.
Even bigger boats of 40 to 50 or more feet, many have bad range unless its say a Nord which is why I am looking at them.
I really like the North Pacific boats, but their range is way too small.

Thanks again for chiming in and sorry for my poor wording.

Thanks Arctic.
And yes I do realize those things, but then at least offer the big tanks as an option.
Most just simply say we chose the tank size and that is all.
Most i have been in the belly of have lots more room down there for an extra fuel tank, or larger main tank.
So they could offer two or three options.

Thanks for your post ☺

It becomes a cyclic design problem..more tankage, more horsepower to push it, more boat to carry it all, more tankage....and round and round we go.

Using fuel as ballast where it is a large percentage of boat weight and won't be ballasted with water (or other) as it is used is a very bad way of managing stability.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom