Huge Learning Curve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

radio9phs

Well, we are taking the big step soon. After enlisting the services of a buyer broker/buyer program, we have found a boat. Original search criteria were to exclude boats with lots of exterior teak to cut down on the maintenance, so of course we end up with a Grand Banks 42 EU with teak decks, cap rails and handrails! And price 50% more than our original budget. We liked the layout and the presence of steps instead of ladder to the fly bridge enough to make us settle for all the teak. First large boat/trawler, so huge learning curve ahead of us, and we will be taking possession just before the need to winterize (keeping in Maryland). Yay! Will have lots of newbie level questions, so be prepared to chuckle and shake your heads. We are scheduled to close later this month.

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome aboard. It is indeed a journey but one well worth the effort!

John

Greetings,
Welcome aboard and allow me to be the first...

ha-ha1.gif

In all seriousness, we've all been there at some point AND every boat is a compromise. Oh ya, I forgot...

babyshakehead.gif

Been there. Carefully put together sensible plan for practical sailboat that reliably would do what I wanted. Then, bought the sailboat I fell in love with - wood, varnish, and all.

By the boat you really love, and you'll cheerfully tolerate all her unceasing demands. (There's a relationship metaphor in there somewhere).

In any event, congrats on your plunge, and welcome to the TF, radio9phs!

Congratulations!! We took possession of Shangri-La in April of this year. And yes, what a learning curve. Two tropical storms and a direct hit from Mathew (We're in HH now) with nary a scratch. We're working our way through 'upgrades' as we shake out our new home. Great forum here with tons of good advice.

Hearty congratulations from another Grand Banks. Welcome to the club !

Best wishes

Pilou

Congrats on the new mistress! She will give new meaning to "High Maintenance"
Enjoy and don't forget to post pics of her.

Congratulation! I went through the same this year and it was my first boat ever so the learning curve was indeed steep but what a pleasure!

Congrats on your purchase.
Before you winterize her take the time to familiarize yourself with the boats systems by doing the routine maintenance on her even if the engine hours are not yet up.
Change main engine oil
Change main engine antifreeze
Change main engine zincs
Check/Change main engine belts
Check main engine raw water impeller
(Change next season)
Clean main engine raw water strainer.
Change main engine transmission oil.
Now do the same thing to your generator.
Check your batteries
This is all very basic stuff.
After this work you will have a better understanding of your boat and will create your own to do list.
Make lots of notes. By next season you will need them.
Happy Boating.

Don't worry about the deck and varnish maintenance. It's very beautiful on a boat in my opinion. There is not much better than teak decking for traction and temperature on bare feet. It's also not as expensive and time consuming as you've heard. I believe most of the folks that complain and warn against outside wood have never had any! Enjoy being owned by a GB!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard,
We are still in the honeymoon phase, and loving every minute of it!!

I consciously avoided having wood on the exterior based on my current boat based on my and others' experiences. Regardless, enjoy!

YAY! Congrats! I'm about 8 weeks into my big boat purchase. EVERYBODY has been really helpful here!

Oh and about that teak brightwork? Just finished sanding and applying Pettit EZ Poxy. Yes a mortal sin, but I didn't want to be a slave to it. At least not the trim.

Congrats again and ask away!

Congratulations and welcome! Make sure to register over at IAGBO, an excellent resource for us GB owners.

Congratulations. Don't let the teak scare you. We sanded all of it and refinished it this summer. Looks good too! We're staying in the water this winter and winterizing (Middle River, MD). Plugged into shore power to keep batteries charged and running ice breakers around the boat. We're going to use it into December then start up again in March.

Don't worry about the deck and varnish maintenance. It's very beautiful on a boat in my opinion.
I agree!
Well maintained teak is absolutely beautiful but after a few years one gets tired of the expense & time to keep it looking good. (At least I did!)

This boat I had for 8 years and loved it!

Attachments

• SeaHorse II at SWYC.jpg
    SeaHorse II at SWYC.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 45
No teak! (And i love it even more!)

Attachments

• IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 45
Congratulations. I love teak ............. on the inside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom