Old 10-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: .
Howdy

Howdy All

I'm a total newb to all things boating but have been wanting one for some time.

Anyway, I'm looking for a smaller Nordhavn, as they seem to do what I want to do at an affordable price.

I'll post my questions in other threads but just saying "Hi" here.
totalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:32 PM   #3

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
Welcome aboard. There is a lot of information available here. Look at the Nordhaven section of the maker page, and use the search feature at the top of the main page to find threads by subject matter.
If you ask about anchors, it's on you. :-)
Old 10-13-2019, 06:28 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Yes, welcome to TF. Good to see another from Downunder joining the forum.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
"New to all things boating"..."Looking for a smaller Nordhaven" These two quotes don't really seem to go together. Maybe you could fill us in a bit about your history and future plans.

Nordhavens are "top of the line" and I would guess not generally considered to be entry level boats. They are pricey, ocean going vessels with redundancy built in and generally advanced electronics which do not seem to be a great match for a Newbie.

I know the boating culture is different in Australia. Please fill in a few blanks for us.

Welcome Aboard.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
"New to all things boating"..."Looking for a smaller Nordhaven" These two quotes don't really seem to go together. Maybe you could fill us in a bit about your history and future plans.

Nordhavens are "top of the line" and I would guess not generally considered to be entry level boats. They are pricey, ocean going vessels with redundancy built in and generally advanced electronics which do not seem to be a great match for a Newbie.

I know the boating culture is different in Australia. Please fill in a few blanks for us.

Welcome Aboard.

pete

OK, this may not necessarily be the normal way, but these folks from California with zero experience purchased a new Nordhavn, took very few courses while in construction and right from the beginning jumped into circumnavigating the whole world.

Yes, not ideal in my view (I wouldn’t do this), but it has been done. The wife wrote a part 2 book series with the experience. I read both books, amazing and almost crazy. But they did it.

Check it out https://kosmos.liveflux.net/blog/

And again, not saying this should be the ideal way but.... if you have the money for a Nordy and thirst for crazy adventure...
Dan_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:

Welcome Aboard.

pete

Sorry, the link didn’t show up: http://Kosmos.liveflux.net/blog/

Or just google Kosmos Travel Log
Old 10-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

OK, not necessarily the normal way to do things, but not impossible. This couple from California with zero navigation knowledge purchased a new Nordhavn and while in construction took very few courses and right after jumped into circumnavigating the whole world.

The wife wrote a part 2 books series with their story. I read both books. It is an amazing (and crazy) adventure. No, I wouldn’t do it this way, but they did.

Check out Kosmos Travel Log at https://kosmos.liveflux.net/blog/

Again, not the way I would recommend it but hey, it has been done.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalNewb View Post
Howdy All

I'm a total newb to all things boating but have been wanting one for some time.

Anyway, I'm looking for a smaller Nordhavn, as they seem to do what I want to do at an affordable price.

I'll post my questions in other threads but just saying "Hi" here.

Welcome.

Nordhavn’s are beautiful and well built boats. Since you think they are affordable, I’m guessing our economic situations are radically different.

You mentioned that the Nordhavn would do what you want. What type of use are you envisioning for a boat?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #10
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Howdy (that was the name of my boat)
What do you want your boat to do?
Old 10-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
Howdy (that was the name of my boat)
What do you want your boat to do?
Cool name!

I'd like to be able to do the pacific and other ocean runs. At this stage I'm wondering about the possibility of doing the pacific run west to east! I don't know how far fetched this is at the moment but I've posted a question about this also. I've been looking at bladder tanks and it looks doable - albeit pretty uncomfortable by some accounts...
Old 10-13-2019, 10:22 PM   #12
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Like I said earlier, something does not add up. A" totalNewb" does not, or should not be talking or thinking of buying a 42 foot Nordhaven, fitting it with bladder tanks and crossing the pacific West to East.

Either you are not the Newb you are professing to be or you need to back your dreams way down. A trip like you are contemplating is only for highly experienced captains in top of the line craft.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Quote:

Welcome Aboard.

pete
Hi Pete

I have an aviation background and am used to glass cockpits and the like, so to me the electronics aren't really an issue. I've flown offshore conducting Marine Pilot Transfer operations.

I've also instructed military pilots from ab initio through to advanced operations, so there's a lot of crossover.

I wouldn't just start out with the trip in question but I want to be able to do it and am trying to get the big picture to make the right choices early on.

Thanks