Old 05-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Hi...new member from South Louisiana

My husband and I just purchased an old 1982 Bluewater 47' coastal cruiser.
This is our first boat of this type and size so we have a lot to learn!
We haven't actually taken possession of it yet as my husband has been out of the country on business. The waiting is hard! We should have our hands on her this weekend. We are very excited!

I've been reading here for a while and I'm learning a lot. So much useful and helpful info here so thank you to everybody who takes their time to share their knowledge and expertise.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Do you have pics of her from the survey - especially during haul out?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Congratz on the new boat! Nice looking boat.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Congrats on the new boat and Welcome! Madisonville is a great stop, we have stayed at Marina del Ray and on the city wall a couple of times and enjoyed it, where will you keep your boat? Our boat slip in Houma.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Congrats on the new boat and Welcome! Madisonville is a great stop, we have stayed at Marina del Ray and on the city wall a couple of times and enjoyed it, where will you keep your boat? Our boat slip in Houma.
Hi Steve...I was born and raised in Houma. Moved to the Northshore in 1998.
Our slip is in Marina Beau Chene.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Do you have pics of her from the survey - especially during haul out?
I do in the survey but none that I can post.
We didn't actually have the survey done. The owner had it done last summer and we just went with that.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #7

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
We didn't actually have the survey done. The owner had it done last summer and we just went with that.
Hurry, delete that post before anyone else sees it!
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by clynn View Post

To late it's here to stay.
Plug your ears and cover your eyes.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #9
Guru

Well this is going in a direction I didn't intend.

I more wanted to see what her bottom looks like. I've seen numerous photos of these vessels pulled right up on the beach/sandbar. I have also seen them at the Miami boat show but they had drapes over the sides to the floor so couldn't see underneath.

Now those were mid 2000 models and newer, so don't know if the earlier models were different. I always thought of them as inland coastal if coastal at all. I suspect they are somewhat modified-V with running gear more towards the center of the boat.

Am I off-base?
Old 05-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynn View Post
Yeah, I debated whether I would say that out loud or not. Lol
Old 05-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:

I more wanted to see what her bottom looks like. I've seen numerous photos of these vessels pulled right up on the beach/sandbar. I have also seen them at the Miami boat show but they had drapes over the sides to the floor so couldn't see underneath.

Now those were mid 2000 models and newer, so don't know if the earlier models were different. I always thought of them as inland coastal if coastal at all. I suspect they are somewhat modified-V with running gear more towards the center of the boat.

Am I off-base?
Well, I'm just a woman more interested in the pretty cushions up on the flybridge and the pretty interior.

All of the the other stuff is my husband's territory. But from the survey pictures I saw and I don't know boat lingo very well the front is a v shape and then it goes to a flat bottom. I know it's got a 15' beam and I know it has a 3.8 ft draft.
I know it's got twin 454's. I know they start right up and seem to run fine. I know that it doesn't get the speed it should be able to get (not that we would ever run at that speed...cruises just fine around 8knots) and my husbands uncle who is a mechanic is going to come take a look at them. I know it had a bottom job last summer which was when the survey was done. I know there a couple of small soft spots on the hard top covering the cockpit and I know my husband plans to address that pretty quickly. I know that there are a few guages that need to be replaced.

The current owners live on it full time and are buying another boat with more space and staying in their same slip so we will be neighbors. From what I understand, when he bought the boat it had been sitting up and neglected for a while. He has put a lot of work and money into her and it really shows on the interior.

I think for what we intend to use it for its the perfect boat for us.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 05-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #12
Guru

Am I only allowed to post one picture per post?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 05-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #13
Guru

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Menzies

This is my 1981 45 ft Bluewater draft 2.6 ft. I would think the 82 would have the same bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1690.jpg   DSCN1724.jpg  
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
easily beached except for the exposed running gear.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #15
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:

Am I off-base?
This definitely not the boat your thinking. The newer ones are what you're thinking.
Pretty sure the one in my neighborhood only draws about two feet in total and have a much lower freeboard.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:48 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Well, I'm just a woman more interested in the pretty cushions up on the flybridge and the pretty interior.

All of the the other stuff is my husband's territory. But from the survey pictures I saw and I don't know boat lingo very well the front is a v shape and then it goes to a flat bottom. I know it's got a 15' beam and I know it has a 3.8 ft draft.
I know it's got twin 454's. I know they start right up and seem to run fine. I know that it doesn't get the speed it should be able to get (not that we would ever run at that speed...cruises just fine around 8knots) and my husbands uncle who is a mechanic is going to come take a look at them. I know it had a bottom job last summer which was when the survey was done. I know there a couple of small soft spots on the hard top covering the cockpit and I know my husband plans to address that pretty quickly. I know that there are a few guages that need to be replaced.

The current owners live on it full time and are buying another boat with more space and staying in their same slip so we will be neighbors. From what I understand, when he bought the boat it had been sitting up and neglected for a while. He has put a lot of work and money into her and it really shows on the interior.

I think for what we intend to use it for its the perfect boat for us.
That pretty much described a modified V.

Twin 454s sound like Crusader 350s. Bullet proof engines if well maintained. Cruising speed in that boat would be around 15-18, WOT around 20. WOT RPM would be 4200, but you want to keep it around 2800 so that you don't open up all four barrels and suck gas.

Enjoy her. Cruise inland for your first year with occasional trips outside in medium conditions so that you know what she and you will take.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #17

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Congrads on the new boat and lifestyle-If you are ever in my neck of the woods give me a shout-have never seen a bluewater like yours-would love to ck it out
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
That pretty much described a modified V.

Twin 454s sound like Crusader 350s. Bullet proof engines if well maintained. Cruising speed in that boat would be around 15-18, WOT around 20. WOT RPM would be 4200, but you want to keep it around 2800 so that you don't open up all four barrels and suck gas.

Enjoy her. Cruise inland for your first year with occasional trips outside in medium conditions so that you know what she and you will take.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Thank you so much. We will mostly be just piddling around in the Tchefuncte River and Lake Pontchartrain. Once we get comfortable with her, we may cruise the coast to MS and AL.

God willing, our dream down the road for after we retire is to get a different boat and do the great loop and be able to cruise to the Caribbean. So this is like our transitional boat. Starter boat if you will.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddalme View Post
Congrads on the new boat and lifestyle-If you are ever in my neck of the woods give me a shout-have never seen a bluewater like yours-would love to ck it out
You bet!!
Old 05-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #20
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
There is some fine cruising right in your area not to mention along the North Gulf Coast all the way to Apalachicola. With an eye on the weather a jump across to Steinhatchee and on down Fl West Coast is doable too.

Here is our previous boat, Spirit a Camano 31, when we anchored up on the Natalbany River, a beautiful spot!
Attached Thumbnails
Anchored on the Natalbany R..jpg