Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Very nice Steve!
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #22
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
We close on our boat Saturday at 1:00! Can't wait to get on her.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:43 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Yeah, I debated whether I would say that out loud or not. Lol
I think you were brave, but not foolishly so. No doubt the owner had to have it done for insurance purposes, as I have to every 5 years, and in my experience they are thorough, because otherwise they won't get the insurance cover business. Sometimes they are so thorough as to be almost heartless - well, that's what I accused my last surveyor of being, to which he laughed. So...if that survey was ok, then I think you'll be ok.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:41 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I think you were brave, but not foolishly so. No doubt the owner had to have it done for insurance purposes, as I have to every 5 years, and in my experience they are thorough, because otherwise they won't get the insurance cover business. Sometimes they are so thorough as to be almost heartless - well, that's what I accused my last surveyor of being, to which he laughed. So...if that survey was ok, then I think you'll be ok.
It certainly appeared to be very thorough.
There's more than that though that led to our decision not to have our own survey done....no reason to get into all the nitty gritty, but suffice it to say we were comfortable with we know and with what we don't!
Old 05-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
Menzies

This is my 1981 45 ft Bluewater draft 2.6 ft. I would think the 82 would have the same bottom.
I'm sure I'm going to get made fun of for not using proper boat lingo but us coonasses....we just talk. Lol

Our front (bow?) is higher (taller?) than yours.
I'd really like to see your boat someday.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
You know that saying....they have more money than sense? Not that we have a lot of money, but we still might have more of it than we do sense...lol

A little about us....we are in our 40's. All of our kids are grown (at least age wise) and we need a hobby. We both have really good jobs and we saved up to buy the boat. Paying cash so no going into debt.
My husband is an engineer that doesn't actually get to do a lot of actual engineering stuff in his job. A boat to work on and play with is right up his alley.

It's an OLD boat so we're expecting plenty of projects and don't expect all of them to be easy and certainly don't expect them to be cheap.

Time will tell if we've bitten off more than we can chew. But at least everybody will get to make fun of us along the way and say...I told ya so!

Two days to close and counting it down!
Old 05-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #27
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
I like your attitude, I think it's the right one for a lot of us.

Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Vessel Model: Cruisers Yachts SS 5000
Hi all. Glad to be part of the community. Hopefully you can tell by the name who I belong to. ��

We are really excited to get onboard and chart out this new adventure together.
StarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #29

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
glad your aboard
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #30
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Y'all will be fine. Coonasses are very resilient and ingenuitive.

Welcome aboard!

(My wife is a semi-coonass)
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:06 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsMan View Post
Hi all. Glad to be part of the community. Hopefully you can tell by the name who I belong to. ��

We are really excited to get onboard and chart out this new adventure together.
Ahhhh! The engineer has surfaced!

Welcome aboard Star1 and Star2. Sounds like you about to start your big adventure experiment! Hope it goes as well for you two as it has for many of us here who were in your shoes just a few years ago...or so it seems.

You've certainly found some kindred spirits here on TF. Hope we can be of some assistance and entertainment along the way.

Cheers!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:02 AM   #32
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
double post
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:04 AM   #33
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Stars

Enjoy the boat. A few questions -

How many hours on the 454s?
Coolant cooled?
Any gas smells in the bilge following a good run?
Did the PO keep a maintenance log and work receipts?
Is the bottom cored or solid FRP?
Are the engines and transmissions easily accessible?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Vessel Model: Cruisers Yachts SS 5000
About 1050 hours. Yes coolant cooled. No gas smell in the bilge at all. Even after a good run. Excellent records. Professional servicing with all records and receipts for engine, genset, instruments, other mechanical items. Engines and transmission are very easy to access. I believe these boats were built with a solid fiberglass hull and cored topsides. I will need to read the owners manual (original OEM manual) that PO had. Boat was in some disrepair when PO acquired it. He did significant restoration. Especially the interior teak furnishings. Mechanical inspection of engines with prioritized list of work. Documented receipts of the prioritized work being completed over time.
StarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
My husband is an engineer that doesn't actually get to do a lot of actual engineering stuff in his job. A boat to work on and play with is right up his alley.
Wifey B: Whispering so StarMan doesn't hear.... You better watch with that engineering type or he'll start just taking stuff apart because.... I know you can keep him under control though.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Whispering so StarMan doesn't hear.... You better watch with that engineering type or he'll start just taking stuff apart because.... I know you can keep him under control though.
Ha! He's already started. Something about reconfiguring battery banks and something about on next haul out doing something with something to do with the AC's.
Lol
Old 05-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Ha! He's already started. Something about reconfiguring battery banks and something about on next haul out doing something with something to do with the AC's.
Lol
Wifey B: Well, the old timers here advise to use it a bit before changing too much, if possible. Now if the AC isn't working, definitely a high priority. Reconfiguring battery banks though can get dangerous like anything shifting weight around. The original builders might actually have had a reason to put things where they did.

Of course while he's busy doing that, he might not notice all the new decorations and linens and stuff you're bringing on it.

I once knew a boat dealer who after one episode told a GE Engineer that it was going to be free this time, but next time he was seen with the cover off his outboard he was talking double. Actually the marina had told on him and the fact it ran fine before he worked on it the day before but the longer he tinkered, the worse it got.

Just teasing him though cause we like engineers. Have some ourselves. No danger of my hubby doing that stuff though. Now he will test every possible function on any of the electronics. Of course, I'm normally participating when he does.

All your kids grown? You two did your kid making young. Now time to have fun on your own. Nice to have another woman on plus someone our ages, well, my hubby's age as he's 45. I'm still a bratty kid of 36... For nearly one more month...omfg...I'm about to be 37. Still 21 in my mind.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:24 PM   #38
Guru

Shoot...you're a spring chickadee!
He's about to be 48 and I'm 45.
I'm about to go make a new thread about our first day of boat ownership,..aye yi yi....at least from my newbie women's perspective!

And my goodness, the wait to actually GET the boat and with him being out of the country and me left to my own devices...the checkbook took some big hits. I couldn't play on the boat, but I could sure shop for the boat! Lol
Old 05-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #39

City: Magothy River, MD
Vessel Name: Sabrina
Vessel Model: '85 KK36 Manatee
Welcome aboard from another Coonass! I grew up in Baton Rouge and my grandparents were from Breaux Bridge (spoke better French than English). Most of our family is in SE Texas and Louisiana. But, my husband and I are in the Mid-Atlantic now and in the market for our retirement trawler. It's a daunting experience! This forum has been amazing!

Congratulations on your new trawler. :-)
River Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #40
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Stars:
I'm in y'alls area, my slip is up the Tickfaw River, north side of Lake Maurepas. It's about a 5 hour trip from the slip to Mandeville city dock, which we do regularly, love it there. Don't know much about the Madisonville area but need to check it out soon.
Good to see some locals in my area, congrats on the new boat.
Mike
Baton Rouge
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote