Old 08-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

City: Buffalo, Minnesota
Vessel Name: Moon Shadow
Vessel Model: 1997 Mainship 350/390
Newbie here, looking to switch over to a Trawler

Hello there, my wife and I have been sailing Lake Superior for years and now ready to try something different...Trawler Living / Retire. Looking to sell our Catalina 36 Sailboat and buy a 36-38 ? foot Trawler. HELP ! Advice? thanks. Dave.
Dave-col is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:59 AM   #2
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Welcome!

A lot of members have moved from sailboats to trawler style boats as they have gotten older. You really need to define what you are looking for. The forum has a boat search thread that is supposed to be for newbies but I can't find it. You might want to look at this thread:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...a-14905-5.html
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Welcome to the TF and best of luck on your new adventure
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Charter first.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Welcome!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. "...ready to try something different...". Not meaning to criticize you on your first post but shouldn't that be "ready to try something better."? Good Move Mr. D.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Welcome, and I agree with Bill, if you have no trawler experience, charter to get a feel. Also trawlerfest is a decent opportunity to see many different manufacturers together; even if a model you're interested in isn't there you can see differences in design and build philosophies among builders. At least it was helpful for us when we were searching.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #8

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
Welcome aboard, also if you happen to be in the area of TFers ask to see their boat. You're bound to get a lot of opinions as well
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
And please do realize that there are about 5 posts a day just like this. So that is why you are not getting much response. Stick around. Get familiar with the surroundings. DO a little reading and use that search tool. And then come back with some questions that are a bit more specific. Your questions are extremely broad and general and really don't give us anything to go on!!

Welcome Aboard!!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #10

City: Buffalo, Minnesota
Vessel Name: Moon Shadow
Vessel Model: 1997 Mainship 350/390
OK, after a lot of researching Trawlers I am even more confused on a brand. I like a lot of the features of the Mainship 390. I would like a single engine, Lehman diesel.( I hear the Cat. Engines have some problems) maybe a John Deere or Volvo. Somewhere around 2 GPH. I like the sedan model vs the aft cabin. I like the stairs to the upper deck vs a ladder. Fresh water boat preferred. And the search continues! That's where I'm at so far, and enjoying it! Any and all advise is appreciated, thanks, Dave
Dave-col is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:05 PM   #11
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. D. Don't get too fixated/hung-up on "brands"at this point. You and the mrs. should sit down with a good bottle of wine as the sun sets relax and each make a list of wants, like to haves, don't wants. Do NOT discuss as you're compiling your separate lists. At some point, exchange lists, still without discussion. After some period of time discuss each item and place it on a "master" list. THEN, try to narrow down the plethora of vessels available and see which ones meet most of the items on the "master" list. Keep in mind the order of items may change and you may have to suffer through many sunsets BUT at some point, the boat will find you.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #12
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Great advice as always RT . A sedan is certainly a smart set up. And much easier on the knees! I believe the Lehmans petered out around the early 90's? So depending on the age of the vessel you end up- you may have to consider other engine choices. Cat 3114 or 3116 would begin around early 90's I think. Honestly, there's not many of the engine choices out there that would not be a great choice if maintained and used regularly during its life. Have you handled most of the repairs on your sailboat??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Although the time when Lehmans were fitted has passed, don`t be discouraged from buying a Lehman powered boat, the long lived engines are well supported with parts and advice, by American Diesel, and for cooling system parts by others as well.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: PassChristian MS
I have owned a single engine trawler and twin engine trawler. Twins are much better. With twins, you can pivot just about in the boats length. With a single with practice, you might be able to do a 180 turn in 3 boat lengths. With a single, if your primary fuel filter shuts down, you anchor. With twins you can go about your way on one engine until it is convenient to change filters. With your Catalina, your sails are your back up. On a trawler a second engine is your back up unless you have a single than your anchor is your back up.
jwilsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #15
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I dunno about the three-lengths for the single to do a 180. Using the back and fill method, I can spin my boat in pretty much its own length. It must be true cuz I had to turn my boat at the end of a canal to park, and I only had 47 ft. beween boats on either side. Twins would have been nice though.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote