Here's hoping the dark side really isn't that bad...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeanD

Hello All!

I've sailed most of my life and my last boat was a Valiant 47 that I sailed and lived aboard. But, I've been a landlubber for the last 12 years or so, mostly doing the occasional charter or going out with friends and I have reached the point where I really can't stand not having my own boat.

However, as I look back on my boating experience, the reality for me was that I spent most of my time motoring here in the PNW (often in the rain) and I'm thinking that a 35 to 45 foot trawler just may be the ticket. I really don't want or need to get anywhere at 20+ knots, but a semi-displacement hull that can do 12 to 15 if necessary seems like a good option. Right now I'm looking at tugs and trawlers and really like American, Nordic & Kadey Krogens. I'll most likely buy a used boat and my budget is going to be in the $300,000 range. I'd like to ease back into the boater's mindset so I'm hoping I can pick the brains of the folks here on the forum and start whittling down the options.

And, I'd like to apologize for all of the nasty things I said about power boaters when I was a sailor:blush:

Welcome aboard. As a former sailor myself (Allied Mistress 39) I know where you are coming from. Especially the part about spending a lot of time motoring. Not so much in the rain here -- just no wind to speak of.

Anyway, glad to have you with us.

Ahoy Dean,
Welcome from another newbie. A sailor making the change to power, as well. I'm in the midst of purchasing a Krogen 39. Good luck. With your budget, you should be able to find a great boat!
Bill

Welcome to the forum! Don't apologize. I'm certainly not going to stop saying things about blow boaters. :rolleyes:

Ted

The rediculous "us and them" thing just isn't true.

Many true boaters are found on all kinds of vessels any chance they get.

Pure sailors that think anything with an engine is evil.....great....haven't met one in 50 years of sailing/boating....sooner or later they all have used one....so there is no dark side.

If you think there is one...good luck....:eek:....:D

Welcome aboard. Your logic makes sense.

All the brands you mentioned are good. If you want to get aboard a Nordic Tug 37 (and maybe even get a ride) let me know...my boat is in Seattle for the next month at least.

Thanks Retriever, I would definitely like to hear how you went about selecting your boat

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Dark side...Pfffffft !

giphy.gif

Valiant 47, you say. KK, Nordic, and American Tugs?

You have good taste in boats.

Welcome to the forum! Don't apologize. I'm certainly not going to stop saying things about blow boaters. :rolleyes:

Ted

Well said Ted....My Thoughts Exactly

Actually I enjoy sailing... on other peoples sailboats!

Welcome to TF and the dark side...you to will see the light soon.

Last edited:
Welcome. Keep in mind you will never do 12 - 15 on a KK.

The three boats you mentioned are very different but that's good at this point. As hmason pointed out the KK isn't semi-displacement. You need to think of your cruising grounds, of how many you anticipate aboard, of distances you'll cruise and of what is important to you in the boat.

Welcome, DD! Don't think of it as coming to the dark side. You've been misled by your blow boat friends. This is enlightenment. This is evolution! That's why you don't often hear of folks going back to sail after having tasted the pleasures of power boating.

You've landed in a good place. Hope you enjoy the experience!

The rediculous "us and them" thing just isn't true.

Many true boaters are found on all kinds of vessels any chance they get.
D

Well said, and spot on. Having been in both camps, I can attest to the fact that while there is in some a superficial misconception re the 'other side', born out of envy basically, deep down, once a boatie, always a boatie, and it matters not what means of propulsion it has. They float, and take you places you'd otherwise never get to, that's what really matters - that's all that matters. :iagree:

Yo... OP

Welcome to the bright side!

You will soon be pleased with your switch to a power pleasure cruiser.

Heck, you can go sailing on your friends boats when ever needing a fix.

In most other days on the water, aboard [your] power boat, you can relish the above water wide window expanse and creature comforts provided. As well as getting places quicker.

In PNW I suggest looking into Tollycraft 40's 44's 45's and 48's. Nice, classic rides and built to last. :thumb:

Happy Power-Boat Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Well said, and spot on. Having been in both camps, I can attest to the fact that while there is in some a superficial misconception re the 'other side', born out of envy basically, deep down, once a boatie, always a boatie, and it matters not what means of propulsion it has. They float, and take you places you'd otherwise never get to, that's what really matters - that's all that matters. :iagree:

We've never been sailors, only occasional ride alongs. However, we've never thought negatively about sailors other than about those few who show such disdain for power boaters. We think most sailors are great, just can't imagine having to do all that work. To those with disdain, even hate, for power boaters, we found the underlying reasons for many. They share similar distastes for large fully equipped power boats. They are typically those who are among the $500 a month liveaboard crowd, another group I admire because they are doing something I certainly don't know how they do. However, their underlying dislike isn't for power boaters but those in better economic situations than them and power boaters represent those. Knowing that, it's a lot easier to understand and it's a lot less bothersome.

The other talk is just that, no different than Ford owners and Chevy owners talking smack about each other. Those who cross over to trawlers typically come from this type group, not the "hate" group. These are those who choose sailing because of love for it over power, not because they can't afford a power boat.

Reactions: Art
Sailboaters have more fun ....

They must .. to be able to put up with;
Cold and wet or sunbaked underway and in a cave when not.
Much of the time half sideways also underway.
Much more likely to run aground w huge keels. And laying almost on the side as the tide goes out.
Very poor visability from the helm fwd.
Huge propulsion expense having horribly expensive rigging for sails (and sails) and also an engine.

But I've only had one sailboat (a 16' plywood cutter) in San Diego CA. Still don't understand why many want bigger sailboats. I suspect the sailboat "thing" is related to the "green philosophy" .. sort of a back to nature movement. Why otherwise go back to an antiquated power system far inferior to internal combustion engines? Hasta be a green lifestyle, romantic notions or similar.

Welcome Dean.

If you really want to get into a boat, why not buy my Catalina 400? ?

I just made the switch last April. You can search for some of the threads that I started looking for information this last winter and spring.

I suggest that you figure out what are the features you are looking for. The boats you mentioned are all excellent. My own impression from my looking process is that the NT 37 is a fantastic boat for a couple that may have occasional guests. It is attractive, can be run efficiently, and can get a turn of speed when time rather than fuel burn is a consideration. NT have a good reputation and a have held value. There also seems to be a steady supply on the used market so you could find a nice one with patience.

The ATs in a similar range, the 395 is in many ways an even better boat in my opinion. It has more interior room, cabin layout that is very similar but slightly improved imo. They are a newer boat and therefore are much more expensive than the NT37 and would be well beyond your $300k budget. One big advantage of the AT in my view for the PNW is the extended cover over the aft cockpit compared to the NT.

The more recent layout NT42s are a great if someone needs more room for more frequent guests. I really like these boats, but again they were way beyond my budget.

The KK are also really nice but are an entirely different boat. In your budget they will be much older than the NT or AT, and I personally didn't like the layouts as well.

I ended up buying a North Pacific 43. I came to it slowly as it was a big departure from what I had envisioned when thinking about moving to power. It gave us the room we wanted for family and a very nice and comfortable saloon/galley layout which my wife preferred over the side galley layout such as the NT37. It also has a great covered aft cockpit. The NP43s can be purchased in your budget range (or the slightly older NP42s). One of the very nice things is that we were able to purchase a boat that was only 6 years old giving us, in some cases, the newer generation of engines and electronics. So far after 5 months of ownership I have been very happy with the North Pacific. In your budget range, depending on the size and features you are looking for, I would suggest looking seriously at them.

Bottom line, look at what your needs will be. How many people will be on board? What speed do you want? At anchor or at marinas most of the time? Look at function first, then look at boats that will serve those functions.

Welcome aboard! We are fairly recent converts, having moved aboard our powerboat 5 years ago. We had our last sailboat in Friday Harbor for quite a few years, and then a couple years down here in the Port Townsend area. Although we sailed much more down here, where we really liked to cruise and spend time boating was in the islands. And up there we were motoring (or motorsailing with just the main) about 85% of the time. So from that standpoint it wasn't that much of a change.

However, we were a little concerned with fuel costs. Going from <.5 gph in the sailboat to 5, 6 or more would have put a dent in our cruising economics. After a year of searching for the right boat, we ended up with twin Ford Lehman 120s that burn a combinedf 1.8 gph at 7 knots. So while we basically quadrupled our typical seasonal fuel bill, we have more than made up for it in comfort and overall enjoyment. And that's the most important part of boating!

Wow, what a great response so far. I appreciate the warm welcome and witty responses. I really look forward to chatting with you guys as the process continues. Thanks again!

I'm still a sailor and heve kept my trailer boat (Hunter 23.5) I think those are some fine boats you ar interested in. Have a look at DeFevers too. Great engine rooms on the ones I've been on.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom