Hello from a wantabe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janru

Hi, My name is Janet and I am new to the forum. I joined because my husband and I are very interested in buying a Trawler. My husband is retired and I will be doing so in the next year. Our thought is to buy a Trawler in Mexico (Baja) and use it as our home when we are down there....several months a year. We think it would be great to have a "moving" condo. Well, the fact is the biggest boat we have owned was a ski boat, so we are definetly newbies to the world of big boats. I joined the forum to start meeting people that have a Trawler and could give us some pointers as to how to get started. I have been looking at boats for sale and WOW a lot to choose from. Thanks for any tips on how to get started.

A good place to begin would be with knowing exactly how you intend to use the boat. Will you live-aboard and cruise? What kind of cruising....coastal or blue water? Knowing how you will use the boat will narrow down what kind of boat you need. Will you explore the shallows? Anchor out or stay at marinas? How many aboard? Need more than one head? Stateroom? Diesel? Will you have long stays away from water and electricity supply. You get the idea. Start answering these questions and maybe you can find specific styles of boats that fit your needs. Try to remember that every boat is a compromise, and that it is much better to get a boat already prepared for your type of usage than to buy one that is not, and spend the money to equip the vessel to fit your needs. Welcome aboard.

Welcome Janet, you found the right place. There lots of threads to search here loaded with great information.

I received great advice here that led to our first bigger boat. Among the best though was "look for the smallest boat in your price range as it will tend to be in the best condition." That really is true. First time you see a big "cheap boat" up close and personal you'll understand why. :)

Hi, My name is Janet and I am new to the forum. I joined because my husband and I are very interested in buying a Trawler. My husband is retired and I will be doing so in the next year. Our thought is to buy a Trawler in Mexico (Baja) and use it as our home when we are down there....several months a year. We think it would be great to have a "moving" condo. Well, the fact is the biggest boat we have owned was a ski boat, so we are definetly newbies to the world of big boats. I joined the forum to start meeting people that have a Trawler and could give us some pointers as to how to get started. I have been looking at boats for sale and WOW a lot to choose from. Thanks for any tips on how to get started.

So is that Kenmore WA? There is a Trawler Fest at Anacortes the Week end of May10th.

After looking at boats on the internets its time to actually get out there and look and go on some boats. The best is Boat Shows and for Trawler Fest for trawler. Since most/many different brands and layouts are there its easier to compare. The first to decided on the size and the layout of the boat, not brand name. Especially if buying a used boat as the condition and how maintained of the boat is more important than the brand name. Also while looking at what boats look like above the water line also take a walk through some boat yards to get an idea what boats look like below the water line.

As you go through the process of looking at boats, the finding the actual boat, and buying a boat be sure to ask questions. :flowers:

Welcome! First off, I agree with the above comments- all solid advice.

Next, I'll recommend that you do some bareboat chartering of trawlers- it's a great way to:

• Learn about boat features you'll never think of
  • Get a feel for what you like and don't like with regards to hull type, interior layout, and more
  • Gain some excellent practical experience in operating a large vessel
  • Learn if the trawler lifestyle is something you can truly embrace, or is just a pipe dream

Enjoy the journey!

Welcome Janet,

Having just gone thru this process wihch for us started over 5 years ago, I would like to add my two cents. First of all, the above advice and musch of the info you can get on this forum are invaluable. I love this forum and since I've had my boat (just one month now:eek:), I have already done anumber os things that would have been impossible beforehand.

Having said that, and also having been a teacher, all the details and information here can be totally overwhelming. Look at galaxy Girl's postings.

While the questions above you must be able to answe at some point, you still need backround knowledge to be able tosay you wnat this versus that.
So, my recommnedation would be to read every book about trawler yachts and thier adventures/travels. There are not that many. Start with the beebe book and go from there. then when you run of of trawler books, read books by sail boat people. you will see a very different mentality, whcih will help you reflect on who you are and what you want.

Lastly, at the same time, read Passage Maker magazine, all that you can get cover to cover.

As you do the above, then asking more detailed questions, such as: this boat versus that? why do it this way and not that, what are best ___ to use?, etc. the answers will be varied, but will make more sense and you will be a position to decide one way or another.

good luck. just don't let yhourself get overwhelmed before you get on the sea.

Richard

Thank you.

Thank you all for some great advice. Yep, Kenmore, Washington. We will definetly head up to Anacortes to check out the trawler fest. Right now I am dreaming out loud....so I do have a lot of work a head of me. Thanks again.

Trawler Fest Anacortes is May 16th through May 19th, not the weekend of May 10th!

Don't go the weekend of May 10th, or you'll be very disappointed!

For people in your position--- which we were in some 15 years ago--- chartering is by far the best way to find out if you like this kind of boat and this kind of boating. Lots of good charter companies in the area and if you have little to no experience you can hire a skipper to go with you so it all becomes a great lesson in addition to a nice cruise.

Thank you all for some great advice. Yep, Kenmore, Washington. We will definetly head up to Anacortes to check out the trawler fest. Right now I am dreaming out loud....so I do have a lot of work a head of me. Thanks again.

If you are in the Everett area and/or want to come up and talk trailer and want to walk the Everett marina let me know. The Everett marina is the largest marina in the PNW.

The line between a dream and a nightmare is razor thin. Ditto to comments from those suggesting you charter first to see if the lifestyle is for you. Most import, though, if you decide to dive in, is to learn the essentials...and there are only three: Boat Handling, Seamanship, and Navigation. Do that first, and in the process you'll most likely gain insight into whether life on the water is for you. Best of luck!

Ok, I have been looking for some Trawler Charters in our area - Washington state coast and there looks like there are a couple. One takes you up around the San Juans. Ideas on which Charter is the best?

Phil Fill - Thanks for the offer on meeting up at the Everett Marina. We spend the majority of our weekends up at Birch Bay (small community a little south of the Canadian boarder). Maybe if you are around some Sunday afternoon we could meet up as we pass by Everett? I like this group already.

The outfit we charted from is a GB dealer in Bellingham. We chartered bareboat but I believe they do skippered charters too. Their fleet is exclusively Grand Banks from 36' to 52.' The current name of the company is Northwest Explorations, NW Explorations | Yacht Sales, Charters & Services in the Pacific NW. Their boats are all later model Grand Banks and are kept in impeccable condition.

The nice thing about a northern charter base (Bellingam, Anacortes) is that for a week's charter you are in easy reach of the San Juan and Gulf Islands in BC (the Gulfs are better than the San Juans as far as we're concerned). With an 8 knot or so boat, the closer to the islands you start out the better as you don't have to "waste" two or three days of your charter time just getting to and from them from the marinas farther south (Everett, Seattle, Tacoma, etc.)

This is the main reason we keep our boat in Bellingham even though we live 100 miles south. We can drive to Bellingham in two hours and so on a weekend can get out into the islands for a couple of days where people who keep their boats farther south (and who aren't retired) can only get to the islands once or twice a year on vacation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom