Old 10-29-2014, 05:04 AM   #1

City: Saigon
Smile Hello from Vietnam

Hello,

I am tired to brew my poor bones in my current pilot house boat. Too shaky, too narrow, too this and that, but still love it. I guess the same someone talks about his 70 YO wife
So, I am lurking in trawler types boats with low (50) hp engine, unless local regulations requires a mechanic on board .
Would be local built.

So that is why I am here.

And who am I? Not too sure.... Born in 67 in Belgium. Several emergency missions for Doctor without borders brought me in hell, mainly Africa, then Vietnam where I live for 18 years, now running a fertilizer plant.

Oh I have managed a company that did build teak/sandwich core boats. You can find pictures here:
Pierre Siquet's (XV2PS) Library | Photobucket

This one was over 12,000 working hours.

Other interests are anything about fish, amateur radio (XV2PS), bikes (FZ-09), rifles and (really) bad jokes.

So I soon come with crazy questions ; thanks for reading.
XV2PS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Very nice looking OB boat.

Looks like it has a very small tunnel stern. Odd for an OB. Perhaps it's to mount the OB 1" higher w/o cavitation.

What is the space under the aft deck used for?

"Would be local built.

So that is why I am here"

You look'in to build someone a boat?

Had a great time on your link.
Your "new anchor" looks like a Spade. Your Danforth type should have been in the Chesapeake Bay anchor test by Fortress Anchors. Too bad there's only one pic of the "23' Launch".

Welcome to Trawler Forum.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Bad jokes eh? I like you already.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Welcome! Like those of us in the PNW, I would think you have great cruising grounds too...
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Guru

XV2PS,
What kind of finish did you put on the boat in post #1 ?
Special tung oil, traditional varnish or 2 pack?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #6

Manyboats,

You have a nice boat there. Would not need that many boats with that one.

Well, the splash well is supposed to get a trimmed up outboard head.
Finishing,... well beginning first: double stripes of teak (first layer parallel to keel up) at different angle than second). Each strip individually coated in west system epoxy before assembly to avoid total water contamination from one piece to the other. Then, after assembly, under water line epoxy + 300gsm cloth to give some structure. Above waterline: 5 epoxy and one 107gsm satin weave and 9 PU to protect from UV.
All epoxy from West System, dunno remember the number, but the one partly UV proof. Despite all layers, all grain still perfectly visible, no bubble, no halo,... It is actually a full composite boat with a solid teak core (no veneer, even the transom had teak core). By the way, my pilot house was bought as wreck with completely soft core. All was replaced by teak/epoxy/fg lamination. This transom will outlast my bones.

Voila. This boat is a long story.... starting with a design(er) that would never hold together, a customer that wanted me to take as my own idea, a deposit that would not be paid, then a design that I totally reworked. Anyway, that was no real business, just side fun to show to our furniture customers.

Now I am no more building boats for the others. I am looking at finding a company to build me a displacement hull trawler looking, maybe steel, aluminum or composite, either getting it based on Bruce Roberts or other drawings, or getting it built from scratch. Some cute really old tugboats are still operating here. If I was sure the hull was still OK and no asbestos, I would be seriously drooling at them.
Oh and then now it is forbidden to import less than 5 years old boats
But then again, w/o mechanic I can only operate 50hp inboard or 150 outboard.... but a 50hp that I can boost up to 70 would also be OK

... but a trawler with an outboard.... maybe if well hidden but still... A trawler needs to smoke black, have the slow rpm vibrations reminding our mother's womb hart beats and smell gasoil in the bilge.

Re Anchor, yes Spade. On their website, they give templates and wrote that we could do them by ourselves, but would be cheaper buying from them... Well, thank you. Did some minor changes, especially gliding shackle. I never had such a good anchor. Especially I get used to anchor in difficult places with very high current. Almost never failed.
The danforth type also had been made just asking locals weld there and there. But too light and "flies" in the current even with a quite heavy chain.

Alaskan sea-duction, What is PNW?

RT Firefly, yes, I make a lot of fun out of other's stupidity. But my best subject is my own stupidity
Old 10-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by XV2PS View Post

Alaskan sea-duction, What is PNW?
Pacific Northwest. Soon, I will be cruising the "Inside Passage" which are protected waters off the west coast of British Columbia and Alaska.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
Guru

XV2PS,
Thanks for the informative and entertaining response.

Interesting your high tech finish in an old world place. When I think of Asia I think of old men crafting perfect teak boats and putting them together w wood pegs.

So you're looking for a design to build? You need to be on BoatDesign.net I saw an interesting "Tug" in your many pics in your link. A double ender that is a bit like my Willard. TAD Roberts (a member here and also a NA) has a double end strip built trawler w a very handsome example on his website. I'm positively crazy about his cruiser "Yellow Cedar" and the rest of his web site is well worth a look.
I don't think plans of trawlers are abundant but one of ours built a wonderful boat in Brazil .. just launched recently. Probably had plans.
The designer of the Diesel Ducks (Buhler I think) may have plans for steel trawlers.

Sounds like whatever you do will be limited to about 12 to 14 tons if a reasonably conventional design is used. My Willard is 8 tons with 40hp and could do with 30.
What did you mean by "Would not need that many boats with that one." ?

Old 10-31-2014, 06:28 AM   #9

yes that nice little tug, I saw it in Norway. Top cute. Thanks for the design link. 12 tons is already more than enough. There is a lot of current to fight against.

Sorry for my latino mindset. I was meaning that with your nice boat, I would be happy and not needing that many boat, referring to your user name
Thanks for input.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:04 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Welcome Pierre
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote