Old 06-27-2019, 03:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Gold Coast
Hello from the sunny Gold Coast

Hi everyone. I bought a Cuddles cabin cruiser a few weeks ago. I’ve been researching trying to find more information and came across this site. There’s been a few issues - one of the diesel tanks has a leak. It’s now switched off but when I go to bed I smell diesel! I can’t find the plumbing, electrical plan etc of this boat anywhere (not that i’d Know what to do with it&#129315 any suggestions on how to find the leak or temporarily cover the inboard tank would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
FreeSpiritSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:32 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Hi Sue, and welcome to TF. You'll find it a great boating fraternity, with much good advice and experience. Although our last boat was a Clipper 34, some years prior to that we have a Cuddles 35. Do you have the 30 or 35..? They are similar anyway, one just being the bigger version of the other. Still the most space efficient design out there, in my view. Our 35 could actually bunk 10 adults.

The leaky fuel tank is a concern, and I'm afraid you'd best obtain some professional help re that I think. Being common to Moreton Bay, most marine repair shops are familiar with the design. Where do you have it moored. I might be able ot even recommend someone to look at it for you.

Also, Auscan is a fellow Aussie based in Adelaide who has a motor sailer version of the Cuddles 30, and might well have some helpful advice for you. I'll PM him and alert him to your presence on here and your issue.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0211.jpg   IMG_0212.jpg  
Old 06-27-2019, 04:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Peter
Thanks for your reply. Yes, you’re right, I do need a diesel engineer. The one I used years ago when I had a houseboat is busy at the moment. My Cuddles is a 30’. It’s perfect for me. I bought it as is, where is, at Horizon Shores. The plan was to go out on anchor in the Broadwater but due to the issues, i’m lucky to have friends whose jetty i’m Moored at in Biggera Waters. The boat was geared to 240v & i’ve Had that changed to solar & 12v.
The seating contains old eutectic fridge in one & freezer in the other. What’s your thoughts of using this method on the 2x260v agm batteries? I’n Looking forward to being part of this community. Cheers
Old 06-27-2019, 04:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh & thanks for alerting Auscan��
Old 06-27-2019, 06:25 AM   #5
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpiritSue View Post
My Cuddles is a 30’. It’s perfect for me. I bought it as is, where is, at Horizon Shores....The seating contains old eutectic fridge in one & freezer in the other. What’s your thoughts of using this method on the 2x260v agm batteries? I’n Looking forward to being part of this community. Cheers
Sue, with a decent panel area, and those batts, (I think you meant 260 amp.hour), enough solar should allow running the under-seat fridge and freezer. Ours was set up similarly. However, the freezer might be the biggest drain, so adding in more panels might be a goer if you have the sedan without flybridge - if flybridge then not so much panel area to use, so modest petrol genny might be the way to go.

Actually if you just use bags of ice in the freezer adding it to cool space, often a freezer can be done without in Moreton Bay, with amenities so close. My Clipper, (which was also at Horizon Shores incidentally), had a couple of modest panels, which struggled, so I added an Airbreeze wind genny. But in retrospect, a Honda type 2kW genny suitably placed bearing in mind exhaust safety, would be a better alternative, as works in all weathers and all anchorages.

For the tank issue I can recommend Troy at Wandell Road Marine 0447 648 030‬.
Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0073.JPG  
Old 06-28-2019, 10:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Peter. Thanks for the excellent advice. I phoned Troy & he’s a bit busy at the moment but I will contact him when I get back from Tassie. I found someone who fixed the bilge (the pipe was disconnected) & he also put in an automatic one. He was here for 11/2hrs & charged $80. Cant recommend him highly enough.
You’re right, I don’t really need a freezer. The solar electrician advised not use eutectic from a power point of view & suggested a Waeco. I’m taking my time to work out what’s best as space is limited. Thanks for your help. Have a great day.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Welcome aboard! Hope you find the fuel leak, are you sure it`s a tank leaking, not a hose or a connection?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Good luck with your new boat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks Bruce. Very happy to be here. No, I’m not entirely sure as it was a vague assessment from the mechanic.
I’ve been reading lots of your posts in relation to eutectic refrigeration. My electrician advised against it as i’m only working from solar panels, batteries & inverter. I have a fridge in one seating area & freezer in the other bi don’t really need a freezer (just won’t be able to give the grandkids ice cream&#129315 The boat is a 1981 Cuddles cabin cruiser with a flybridge. It seems a waste not to utilise the space. I would need to covert it to 12v & i’m Not sure how good the insulation is. What would you recommend? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:02 AM   #10
TF Site Team

Sue, you are right to look into the Waeco option and just go 12v. When the eutectic on my Clipper died beyond resuscitation I just kept the large freezer in the cockpit as a huge ice-box, and as the fridge inside was so well-insulated and roomy I converted it by a Waeco Cold-pack, (as they called it then), to 12v, and it was great. I had a lot of fun doing it as well. You might be able to convert the one under the cockpit seating to 12v, but as that position is fairly inconvenient, in your case a purpose built 12v boat fridge might be worth the spend..?

Here's how mine looked in the end...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0067.JPG   IMG_0296.jpg   IMG_0309.jpg  
Old 06-29-2019, 02:39 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Sue, Peter is giving you good advice. The joy of eutectic systems is the fridge and or freezer is not a load on batteries but, it requires substantial amounts of 240v power twice a day when away from the marina,meaning a genset is required. If you can meet your needs without one,do. Alternatively, there are engine driven compressors for eutectic systems, I`m told way faster than electric compressors, but according to the people I asked about fitting one, cost about $5K and can give trouble. Add that to the cost of cold plate cabinets etc, you are better working with what you have,as Peter suggests.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:48 AM   #12

City: Hervey Bay QLD
Vessel Name: Moana
Vessel Model: 1996 M40 Riviera aft cab
Hi Sue, Welcome aboard from another Gold Coaster. I am berthed at Hope Island. I have eutectic fridge and freezer, they work very well and only 19 yrs old. If my fridge died I would probably replace with a 12 v/230 V fridge.If you are opening and closing eutectic doors you will need to run generator about 3to 4 hrs a day if the same as mine.
auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi Auskiwi. Thanks for the welcome. I’m not too keen to run a generator. After reading lots of threads I might go like you would, with a 12v fridge. Cheers. Sue
Old 07-01-2019, 11:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Portland, TN
Vessel Name: Roundabout
Vessel Model: 2000 Donzi Z275
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpiritSue View Post
Hi everyone. I bought a Cuddles cabin cruiser a few weeks ago. I’ve been researching trying to find more information and came across this site. There’s been a few issues - one of the diesel tanks has a leak. It’s now switched off but when I go to bed I smell diesel! I can’t find the plumbing, electrical plan etc of this boat anywhere (not that i’d Know what to do with it&#129315 any suggestions on how to find the leak or temporarily cover the inboard tank would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hey Sue,

Welcome to the TF. As you can already see, there is lots of knowledge on this forum. They helped me solve the problem with my Vacuflush. Saved me from having to replace major parts. Turned out all we needed was a vacuum pump for $50. Problem solved. [emoji3]
Sparks5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Smile

Thanks for the welcome. It’s great to be here. Yes, the people are amazing. Learnt lots already.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #16
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Welcome Sue,
Nice to have another Cuddles owner on board!

Tell me a bit about your fuel tanks. Are they made from stainless steel or fibreglass? What size are they?

My original tanks were made from stainless steel and located on either side of the engine. The design was not ideal, as they did not allow for air circulation under the tanks and it would remain damp. They corroded on the bottom of the tank and eventually diesel started to seep out into the bilge.

If your problem is the same, you'd find that if you put paper towel or cardboard along the base of the fuel tank, it will dampen with diesel starting where it is seeping from.

If you are lucky, it could be a loose fitting at the fuel tank outlet or filler. If the tank itself is corroded it a bigger job to repair or replace.

In regard, to the refrigeration, I also have the two insulated areas under the cockpit seating. Mine aren't refrigerated, but I line the bottom of one with frozen water jugs or blocks of ice and it keeps drinks cold for up to a week depending on the weather. I use a portable 12 volt Waeco fridge/freezer to refreeze the ice jugs as required.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Smile

Hi Auscan. Wow! That’s amazing advice. Thank you! Yes, my fuel tanks are on either side of the engine & are stainless steel. The bilge has a mixture of diesel & oil. Had it cleaned out. I sleep in the midship bed & at night can smell it. Though it’s not as bad since it was cleaned. The inside of the Hull was cleaned too as there was a layer of black gunk.
I had the boat sandblasted, epoxied & anti fouled. I love the boat.
I love what you did with the refrigeration. That would definitely suit me. Do you keep the Waeco in the cockpit? A friend loaned me an ice chest & I have it at the helm but I had to take the seat off. It’s ok now whilst i’m On a friend’s jetty fixing things but eventually i’ll Be going out on anchor. Cheers. Sue