Hello from So. Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Texas Lady

Vessel Name
Texas Lady
Vessel Make
1979 42 Grand Banks Classic
I have been following the site for a while. We finally took the plunge and purchased a trawler. We keep her in Palacios, Texas on Matagorda Bay. My wife and I are going through the learning curve of becoming better operators. I must say that following this site for a while helped much with our decision. I find myself looking for the latest post and invariably learn something new. As with all owners of older boats, I have a couple of projects and just need to keep getting better at regular maintenance. That coupled with future cruising plans, makes following this forum very enjoyable as there are some great post.

I look forward to participating.

Working on working less and cruising more!

Charlie

Welcome to the TF .

Welcome. Just down the coast in Rockport.

Welcome aboard, just up the coast.........well it's a ways in Clear Lake!

Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard, just up the coast.........well it's a ways in Clear Lake!

Not so far......:whistling:I'm in Clear Lake and I have made it from Matagorda marina to Blue Dolphin in a long summer day. Daylight till dusk at 7 knots.

Please give a rundown on Placious. Marina fees, entertainment, shopping, crime, distance from open Gulf and other quality of life stuff. I drove through there in the wee morning hours 10 years ago. Seemed remote. I seem to remember chemical plants, so that brings the pollution issue into the equation.

Wife is itching to go back to TX. I have often wondered about that little town.

Thanks for the welcome notes.

I grew up in Palacios moved away for nearly 40 years and recently returned. So here is my readers digest answer as unbiased as I can be.

Great Location on Matagorda bay. Palacios has a nice seawall and bay front reserves making for nice walks and drives around the bay. It is small town with an emphasis on commercial shrimping, agriculture and recreational fishing. Not much has changed in 40 year. If you love the outdoors and back bays for fishing and hunting it is a great place. If you are looking for any night life it is almost non existent. There is not much in the boutique shopping area but there is some.

Marinas exist in two categories. There is one private marina that also caters to the RV crowd with nice facilities. Unfortunately the docks are old and in need of replacement, in fact several slips were lost in Tropical Storm Bill over the summer. There are two municipal marinas without any amenities to speak of. All of them are inexpensive with slip fees on my boat around $150/mo.

Real estate prices are much lower here as opposed to other areas both North and South on the coast. Good location on the coast to get to; with Houston 1.5 hours drive away, Austin & San Antonio 3 hours and Corpus Christi 2 hours.

The chemical plants are at least 20 miles away, so no unsightly issues or related pollution. At Trawler speeds Rockport and Port Aransas are in the 8 hour range, Galveston & Corpus Christi a couple of hours more. It is a little under 20 miles to reach the Gulf.

One of the greatest attributes is that the people here are very friendly.

Fair winds!

Welcome aboard, right up the coast in Galveston

Greetings from another Texan from San Antonio with our boat just down the coast in Rockport. Please share some pictures.

BTW - for all you folks not from Texas, I believe the correct phonetic spelling is
P-lash-us :).

Wasn't aware of the marinas, will have to add to our places to visit.

Welcome Aboard!

I appreciate the comments. My wife and I were down in Rockport the first of the month. We enjoyed the stay. The trip back to Palcios was about 7 hours. We will be back this Spring.

Charlie

Greetings - from another new cruiser. How is your first year coming along? We're just 3 months into living our dream. Always looking for tips and info to speed our education. I've fished Clear Lake and out at Galveston. Been a while.

Hello Jan and Lee,

All is well after our purchase. We have not taken some of the longer trips we expected yet, but that is mainly because I am still working full time until this fall. Nice boat!. Thank you for the note.

Charlie

Hello Jan and Lee,

All is well after our purchase. We have not taken some of the longer trips we expected yet, but that is mainly because I am still working full time until this fall. Nice boat!. Thank you for the note.

Charlie

We are just finishing a three week trip from Kemah to Corpus. Obviously we weren't in a rush. You have a lot to look forward to.

Paul

Paul,

Sounds like a nice relaxing trip. The weather has been nice an calm here. We look forward to doing the same. have a great trip and I hope our paths cross while cruising.

Charlie

Best wishes. We're anchored in SC for a weekend getaway. Seem to be batting 100 finding wrecks in these coves. Livin the dream.

Congratulations on your new to you grand banks. Nice boat.

Welcome aboard TF from the snowy north.
We actually purchased our Mainship in TX and shipped her to NY State.

Like they all said, but we need photos to make it real... :D

Thanks to all of the recent welcomes. This post started in November 2015, so I was a littles surprised on the recent activity. I will be going into full retirement in March and expect to begin longer trips after a few projects are completed at the home place.

Fair winds to all!

Thanks to all of the recent welcomes. This post started in November 2015, so I was a littles surprised on the recent activity. I will be going into full retirement in March and expect to begin longer trips after a few projects are completed at the home place.

Fair winds to all!

Wifey B: We went into full retirement, only didn't go full when it all fell out. Now all day today we rode around with our daddy who is looking toward a new business after selling his. I'm starting to think it's in the blood of businessmen or something. Now hubby has taken a young girl under his wing mentoring her too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom