Old 08-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #1

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Hello from Roger and Patsy

Birth, cradle, childhood, sailor, trawler owner, rocking chair, grave; with our purchase of the 1987 Kadey-Krogen Manatee “Captain Ed II”, we continue the natural progression of the nautical life.

I cruised over 20,000 miles in the 32 foot sailboat I just sold, lived aboard for three years after selling my commercial boat design business, and wrote extensively about my cruising for print and online magazines. Six transits of the ICW during my cruises between Halifax and Florida made me realize that nearly half a century of rolling around in waves looking at shore far away or out of sight are enough. I've come to love waterways, sliding close along a nearby shore and waiting to see what is around the next bend. Our future cruising plans are focused on the inland waters of the Great Loop and the canals of Canada.

My business during the last half of my career was primarily devoted to the design of coastal oceanographic research vessels and I designed most of the additions to the US east coast fleet over two decades. You have almost certainly seen some of them if you have cruised in New England and along the ICW. Designing vessels with rolling motions that made them excellent working platforms was a key to the success of my design business and readers of the latest edition of “Passage Making Under Power”
will find my name on a sidebar about motion and comfort in the chapter on seaworthiness. Google will turn up more than any reasonable person would want to know about all that.

My companion, crew, and great love for the past few thousand miles spent thirty years working for the New York City school system and NYU to develop connections between education and career. She still keeps her hand in as a part time career counselor and coach. Patsy is a full partner in this new endeavor. After years of cruising, I might be ready for that rocking chair but am grateful that her enthusiasm for travel and life afloat inspire me to further adventures.

This will be a financial and boat re-fit adventure as well as a cruising one. We fell in love with a Manatee we were invited aboard while looking at trawlers at the entrance to the Erie Canal and went away thinking it was too bad we couldn't afford a 50 foot boat. Not long after, we learned it was only 36 feet and saw one listed at a price we could afford. It's a boat we never would have even gone to look at if we had known what the survey would turn up but only five were built with the full pilothouse and only one is currently on the market. We fell in love with the boat and repairing and refitting her is the only way we will ever be able to own and
cruise in a vessel with this much room. So, before the cruising comes a lot of work and heart stopping bills. I'm sure I'll be posting here about things like congenital defect in the engine installation that caused an engine mount to break long ago and our beefing up of the hull around the rudder port where there is some cracking due to deficient design. Then, there's the rot in the cabin sole, and ….and....

Oh yes, the new name of the vessel will be “River Cooter”, a turtle ubiquitous to many of the areas we want to cruise. I always like turtle names for boats because turtles carry their home with them and it seem especially appropriate for a boat of this shape and speed. Homeport will be Beaufort, SC since it is our favorite area of all we have visited in the lowlands and because of Patsy’s family connections nearby.

Some of my vessels you may have seen:

Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Welcome aboard, Roger and Patsy.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Welcome aboard, Roger and Patsy! I look forward to hearing more about your new Manatee and it's resurrection! Congrats on entering this new phase of your nautical life!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Welcome to the forum! Have fun with your refit; mine is just about done.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Welcome aboard. Awesome boats there, Roger....must be very proud. What I can't figure is how in the world you and Patsy would make the choice for one of those ungainly North-Sea Manatee things. There's now three of them in the US.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Welcome! We used to frequent the sailboatowners forum when we had our Pearson and always enjoyed your posts (and still read them from time to time, along with Mainesail's). It is a great group here and we will certainly enjoy having you aboard!
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Welcome Roger & Patsy. Nice to have you on board.
Enjoy the ride and delay the rocking chair step of the progreesion.
Have FUN!!!
Old 08-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #8

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
That is a very distinctive profile.

1987 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee North Sea Power Boat For Sale -

The more I look at it, the more it grows on me.
LowNSlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Saw her in Elizabeth city in June just below the bridge on my way back from Hatteras NC. Manatees are unmistakable. They attract your attention wherever you see one.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #10

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Roughin'it
Vessel Model: 1983 37' Roughwater
Cool Welcome

Time is precious. Waste it wisely. Great days ahead
Old 08-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #11

City: Maryville, TN
Vessel Name: malu lani
Vessel Model: Albin 27 FC
Every boat is a project, even those just off the ways. I think you've gotten a great cruiser and that's what it's all about. I worked on a couple of manatees at the old Rybovich yard and loved them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ben
tego is offline   Reply With Quote