Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
..... but let me vote a +1 for drinking the water on board.

I resent boat owners who let their water get so bad that it's become common knowledge never to drink boat water.

Even though there's a filter right on the faucet. Instead they drink the filtered tap water that comes in a plastic bottle. Go figure.
I agree, Tom! I have an inline filter immediately downstream from the FW pump and a "Pure" on the tap in the galley. The ice maker uses this water and it tastes great!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Bluto--- Actually I think you need to back up a step from the "what kind of boat" question. Treat the whole thing as though you were buying a computer. You don't start out deciding what computer you want to buy, you start out (or should start out) figuring out what software and applications you want to run. Once you have compiled that list, THEN you go out and find out what computers will run all that stuff. At that point, you start determining which computer will do the best job of running the stuff you need to run and you can start making decisions between A, B, and C.

Boating is the same way. Forget the makes and brands and models at the outset. All that will just confuse you and you'll run from this one to that one and will have a hell of a time making up your mind. That's because you haven't figured out what you want to do with it yet. So don't bother with length and width and number of engines and galley up or down and how many staterooms at this point.

Compile a list defining exactly as possible what you want to do with a boat. Forget about what kind of boat, for now it's just "a boat." The easiest way to compile this list is to ask yourself a whole bunch of questions. I'm not going to list all the possibilities, just a few to give you an idea.

What kind of waters am I going to be boating in? (Coastal, offshore, rivers, etc?)
How many people will normally be on board?
How long will I be staying out for?
What kind of accommodations will I need? (Number of berths, cabins, heads, showers, etc.)
What kind of galley do I want? (Refrigeration, gas or electric stove, etc.?)
How fast do I want the boat to go?
How important is fuel economy?
How much do I want to spend for moorage? (The longer the boat, the more the moorage.)
Am I going to anchor out a lot or go from marina to marina? (Determines how much holding tank capacity to the importance of an anchor windlass and ground tackle).
Will there be pets on board?
Will their be children on board?
How important is comfort to the people who will be on board?
Are they real boating enthusiasts or just "going along with it?"

And so on and so on and so on.

Once you have defined what you want a boat to do for you, THEN you can start determining what kinds of boats will meet your requirements. Tri-cabin, sundeck, Europa, flying bridge, no flying bridge, number of engines, semi-planing, displacement, and so on. '

And once you've determined the type(s) and configurations of boats that will work for you, then you can start talking about brands, makes, and models.

That's how I'd approach it, anyway, if I was a newcomer to this kind of boating.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #23

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Name: Brass Ring
Vessel Model: 38 bayliner
Bluto

I note that you show Ohio as home so I will deal with that specifically.

1) If you boat out of there get yourself a Nexus card. You can look it up at US or Canadian customs . It allows you to land at non controlled crossings

2) Don't even think about taking a hand gun to Canada - heavy duty trouble

3) Join one of the many boat clubs around you as a social member

4) Take the jet boat over to Put in Bay and see how boaters live

5) Do whatever you can to buy soon. The market is very much in your favour especially in your area

6) Look for a spot to keep your boat that is cheap so you have funds left over to use it.

7) Lake Erie does not really have swells - mostly chop - but that still can be a serious problem and make you sick- don't venture out when the weather sucks. (like in your case, anytime it shows the possibility of 15 mph winds) Boating is a social sport. People are supposed to enjoy it. Don't compromise your family's comfort or you will be boating alone.

8) Buy yourself a cheap weather radio or used VHF and listen to the weather and wave heights so you can look, listen and co-relate the conditions as it is much better to learn the basics of this on shore.
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #24

City: Dayton, OH
Art, Marin,Bobsyeruncle and everyone-
What a response, I appreciate the very good advice. Truth is, I'm not even in the market to buy a boat right now, I'm going to need a windfall of some sort to get with the program. It is only a daydream for me.
Windfalls happen, there are tax laws to deal with them they are pretty common. But since you ask, I'll let you know what I would do with the boat.
It would be the center of my existence from that point on. I've done plenty of land-lubbing and would spend most of my time on the boat, probably living aboard for months on end. Kids are grown and I'm divorced so there is no Admiral to kowtow for. Any new gal would either love the boat or hit the road. ;P

Since it's all just sillyness on my part, I have picked out a boat that would satisfy my unnatural urges for the rest of my life, but it is one of the most expensive yachts a fellow could choose, but why not? If you're dreaming, might as well think big..

Here's a link to my dream house-
Welcome to Nordhavn.com - Power Thats Oceans Apart
I know, it has sails, but it is a trawler with a mast. What is most compelling is the adjustable pitch, hundred point prop system, the Lugger engine, the low-slung superstructure and the forward cockpit.

Here's a vid of one guy tacking this well-balanced, easy-handling boat.

At the end he remarks how easy it was to dock, with bow and stern thrusters.
It isn't a classical trawler, but it is certainly not a sailboat. The guy called it a sailing trawler, and I think that's the best description.
And all just one lotto hit away!

Like I said, if you're going to dream, might as well dream large!

Thanks fellas, I'll be mostly lurking around, like always, but know that even financially challenged people enjoy your forum, and check it every day.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #25

Oh, and Bob's- Ohio is a rotten state for boating, and the first thing I would do is pull up stakes and move to the coast. Probably South Carolina.
Cheers!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Bluto-not sure how big a windfall you need, but there is one of those for sale in Seattle, just marked down to $1.2M! It has been at the dock for sale for a pretty long time. I think the broker is Seattle Yacht Sales and they do have it listed on Yachworld.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #27

Hey, that's actually a good price. These things are so expensive that if you have to ask, you can't afford her.

Can you imagine how nice it would be, sails set, motor purring at a low rpm and making 8 knots while barely sipping fuel..
That lugger would outlast the boat.
I'm surprised some discerning rich folks haven't jumped on it.
Things must be tough all over.

Dern, I love that boat.
C'mon Lady Luck, Daddy need a new floating pleasure palace..
Old 05-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I'm surprised some discerning rich folks haven't jumped on it.
Motorsailers have never been particularly popular. There are a handful of people who like them but for the most part people are either in the all-sail or all-power camps. My understanding is the Nordhavn 56MS has not been a popular seller for Nordhavn. I certainly would not want it, preferring the simplicity of an all-power boat.

Of course I woudn't want a Nordhavn at all even if we wanted to spend that kind of money on a boat. Every one of them is incredibly butt-ugly in our view except the old Nordhavn 50 which is not bad in a rather Plain Jane way.

Well designed (for their intended purpose), well built boats, no question. But we would be embarrassed to be seen driving a Nordhavn they are so awkward and ugly (to us).
Old 05-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #29

I guess it is just a porky sailboat, but the lines aren't bad. This is a trawler forum so I expected people here to be less than enthusiastic about it.

It has a walk in engine room, galley and dining area and a huge pilot house to hang out in.
The Nordhavn trawlers are very tall and slab sided, which isn't very attractive, especially compared to the Krogens or the Flemings.
Among regular trawlers, I admire both of those types.

Still, if I had unlimited funds, that boxy ms would be on the short list.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

The thing with motorsailers is that they are compromises. So they typically aren't very good power boats and they aren't very good sailboats. But for someone who puts a major premium on fuel economy, this compromise can suit their purposes very well.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #31
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I probably used up my quota on the seasickness reply, but let me vote a +1 for drinking the water on board. IF you use your water regularly, and refill from city water that's been treated, and do a treatment once or twice per season, the water will be fine.

I resent boat owners who let their water get so bad that it's become common knowledge never to drink boat water.

I have to keep bottled water on board in the summer or passengers and crew will become dehydrated rather than try the water on board. Even though there's a filter right on the faucet. Instead they drink the filtered tap water that comes in a plastic bottle. Go figure.
Totally agree.

I have forsaken the bottled water even for guests, as not wanting to encourage bad behavior. have two filters on line. Coming from NYC, where we are so proud of our water, I am sensitive to bad water, but our boat water is better than 1/2 of the country.

It's a wonder of marketing that they ahve been able to get people to spend so much on bottled water that is essentially the exact same water from your tap, only worse, i that it is in a plastic bottle that we will not discover the chemicals it has leeeched into our bodies for another 20 years. Then we'll look back and think "what the hell where we thinking"
but i digress.

Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote