Hello from Puyallup WA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mgtgrafix

Veteran Member
Hello all,,

Wife and I have started our journey to purchase a 34 to 36 foot trawler. Looking forward to learning a Lot here.

Thanks
Joe

Welcome Mgtgrafix!

A good journey to begin; and I suppose one never finds the end of such a journey!

Look around. Ask questions.

What do you want to do with your trawler? Where do you desire to cruise?

Long term?
Short journeys?

Any boating experience?

Welcome.

Tim

I hope you will be attending the Seattle Boat Show later this month! Consider taking some of the Boat Show University classes. I've found most of them to be very informative and helpful. We live in Lacey and have a Nordic Tug 32 and travel mostly in Canadian waters. If you would like to visit by phone or over coffee, let me know.

-Doug

Welcome to TF from the other side of the state. Lots to see and do and learn on here.

Tim,

We've been boating for about 18 years,
With our first boat as a 12 foot aluminium. Since then we have owned a 22 ft boston whaler and currently own a 17 foot weldcraft and a bayliner 2850.
We are looking for a larger boat to entertain and cruise the San Juan islands and possibly make coastal runs to California.

Joe

Welcome Mgtgrafix!

A good journey to begin; and I suppose one never finds the end of such a journey!

Look around. Ask questions.

What do you want to do with your trawler? Where do you desire to cruise?

Long term?
Short journeys?

Any boating experience?

Welcome.

Tim

Thanks for the invite Doug. We will be looking at a CHB34 in olympia, probably Sunday. Working out the details of the appointment today. Not sure where she is at yet.

Not sure what you are looking for but there is a 36' GB with a single Cat for sale in Bellingham. Send me a PM if your interested and I will go take a photo of the listing.

PS. Welcome!

Thanks for the invite Doug. We will be looking at a CHB34 in olympia, probably Sunday. Working out the details of the appointment today. Not sure where she is at yet.

Our boat is moored at Zittels. It is a funky place but the location is great for us. We leave tomorrow morning for a couple weeks in the sunshine but I'd be glad to visit more when we return.

Hope the CHB looks good!

-Doug

I hope you will be attending the Seattle Boat Show later this month! Consider taking some of the Boat Show University classes. I've found most of them to be very informative and helpful. We live in Lacey and have a Nordic Tug 32 and travel mostly in Canadian waters. If you would like to visit by phone or over coffee, let me know.

-Doug

I have been in Lacey with my daughter and grandkids for the last month. Her husband is a helo pilot based at JBLM. Anyways, I have been checking out Marina’s and boats around the area. Great cruising area once it gets brighter and warmer. If I had thought about the Seattle boat show, I would have stayed longer but am actually flying south mid next week..

Been away from my boat too long and can’t wait to get back aboard.

To op, good luck with the search, I saw lots of ‘interesting’ boats, hope you find one to love.

A long time ago, I milked cows near Puyallup. One of the more entertaining things I remember is visitors asking directions and butchering the name. Enumclaw was fun, too.

Do you prefer the aft cabin style over a Sedan/Europa/Pilothouse w/ cockpit?

Tim,

We are looking for a larger boat to entertain and cruise the San Juan islands and possibly make coastal runs to California.

Joe

Anybody on the forum with a 34 CHB made such a voyage?:blush: I'd be interested as well as Mgtrgrafix I bet, to hear of the experience.:flowers:

Other than such an inquiry, Let a small pocket cruiser add his welcome to the forum. You will not be disappointed with any inquiry and will learn tons from other posters on any given subject. Anchors as an example:angel:

I like the Europa, but my wife and I both agreed on the Aft Cabin. We entertain a lot and we have our kids/grand kid that we plan on taking to the San Juan's.

Welcome to TF Joe. I’m in the Puget Sound as well, the boat is in Gig Harbor. Lots of boats around to look at depending on your price range and the style you are looking for.

Good to keep it under 45 feet in order to use all of the marine park buoys. One of my regrets at 46 feet. And they do enforce it.

Good to keep it under 45 feet in order to use all of the marine park buoys. One of my regrets at 46 feet. And they do enforce it.

Though the size of Marine Park anchors has probably improved over the years, I have never and will not use them for an overnight stay since seeing one on the beach after a blow. The anchor was concrete 1/2 barrels, x3, chained together. Not what I had expected to see especially since it was dragged onto the beach. Presumably the boat then tied to it was blown further up the beach.

Though the size of Marine Park anchors has probably improved over the years, I have never and will not use them for an overnight stay since seeing one on the beach after a blow. The anchor was concrete 1/2 barrels, x3, chained together. Not what I had expected to see especially since it was dragged onto the beach. Presumably the boat then tied to it was blown further up the beach.

Not sure about BC, but WA Parks Dept. seems to have done a decent job of maintaining their moorings, at least recently. Maybe partly because most are located in relatively protected anchorages, I have never had any concerns using them.

I believe they have all been converted to screw in anchors on the sea bed and using a design that is less harmful to the eelgrass beds.

Thanks dhays. We're looking at a 36 gb Saturday, a 34chb on Sunday and another chb34 on Thursday.

Nice day to look at boats. The water in the South Sound is flat calm and no rain. It is also unusually warm.

We are headed to Poulsbo for the night. First time out on the boat for my Grandson.

Back
Top Bottom