Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 AM   #1

City: Rochester, WA
Vessel Name: Diversion
Vessel Model: 30' Silverstreak Cuddy
Hello from the PNW

Well, sort of. I am currently stationed in the southern Philippines, but my wife (anniimagoo on this forum) lives in Centralia, WA.

As my retirement gets closer, we are looking more and more at downsizing and simplifying our lives. Twenty-Seven years in the Army is a long time, and I probably have at least two more to go. When our son moves out, we won’t need as big of a house. And the prospect of living on a boat has intrigued us for several years.

Our current boat (Diversion) is good for what it’s designed for; multiple things. It’s sort of a crossover in the boating world. A 30 ft Silver Streak Cuddy, it does many things well. But not perfect. It camps OK, with a decent size V berth, small galley and dinette. It fishes OK, with a decent sized cockpit and tons of fish holds. It is a decent dive platform, but the cockpit makes it difficult for more than three divers to get geared up. Living on it for extended periods is doable, but for sanities sake, we’re going to look for something bigger.

Doing substantial research before we make a decision has always been our Modus Operandi. When we first stared looking at trawlers it became apparent that even though we are experienced boaters, we didn’t know what we didn’t know about living aboard. Just a quick look through this forum proves that point.

We look forward to tapping into the wealth of knowledge on this forum, and apologize in advance for “newbie” questions I am sure we will have. We will certainly be lurking more than contributing to discussions for a while, as our level of expertise is nowhere near most of you. Though I would be happy to discuss SCUBA diving and tuna fishing techniques at length! ☺
Diversions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Welcome to the zoo! Best thing to do is jump in with both feet and absorb all you can. At the same time, you'll learn to wade between actual data and thread drift

Living aboard is exciting, trying, and a dream come true for us. The major change you'll have to make is a downsizing in "stuff". Once you get over that hurdle, it's all good from there- nothing like getting up and enjoying coffee with the water as your backyard....

As for tuna fishing and SCUBA- bring it!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #3

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversions View Post
When our son moves out, we won’t need as big of a house. And the prospect of living on a boat has intrigued us for several years.
Hi Jamie,

I think you hit the nail on the head. At some point we all seem to start thinking about a bigger boat and a smaller house. Less time maintaining the house means more time for the boat!

How is life treating you in the Philippines?
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #4

City: Northern California
Welcome to TF Diversions. Something that won't break the bank on purchase and operating costs is made almost in your PNW backyard. Aspen Power Catamarans | 28', 32', 36', 48' Cruising Catamaran

Read the reviews, the builder Larry Graf loves to take the boating journalists out in crappy weather and choppy seas to drive home the point that his hull does very well in messy conditions.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydski View Post
Hi Jamie,

I think you hit the nail on the head. At some point we all seem to start thinking about a bigger boat and a smaller house. Less time maintaining the house means more time for the boat!

Scott- what's up!

(classic thread hijack)

Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #6

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Scott- what's up!
Hi Pete!

We're headed down to spend a long weekend on the boat, getting her ready for the offshore run North. Hopefully, it won't be all work and no play!
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Guru

Indeed- but then again, it's never work when you're on a boat (cough, cough....)

hehehehehehe!

Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Welcome! Lots of fun here....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #9

City: Rochester, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydski View Post
Hi Jamie,

Pretty well all things considered! We just had a USO visit from Toby Keith last night. There are some perks!

You and Janet have a safe trip down south. Like Pete said, It's never work when it's on the boat! How soon do you think you'll have her in Puget Sound?

Pete, were you in Westport last year for tuna? I think we were fishing close by one day.

Deckofficer, thanks for the info! I have always wanted a ride on a cat. Some of these are pretty sweet!
Diversions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #10

City: Olympia
Hi Jaime,

I may get the hang of this yet. I'm thinking I need a fishing picture since you have the boat. We both know who catches more fish. GIRL POWER!
anniimagoo is offline   Reply With Quote