Hello from Peterborough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liz

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Arrow Naut
Vessel Make
Avro 36 Trawler
Hello Everyone,

I feel like I won the lottery when I found this forum.

Many years ago I spent several weeks every year on a 42 ft trawler in Vancouver that was owned by a male friend. We would cross the Georgia Strait and cruise every day. Once the anchor was dropped, I would jump into the Zodiac with the crab trap. It was heaven and I absolutely loved every minute of those trips.

Fast forward to now. After an illness and a small inheritance, I decided that I want to get my OWN boat, leave home this winter (or next winter....) and do the Loop. Captain John's website gave me lots of info and helped me decide what I should purchase.

A 36 to 42 ft full displacement trawler with a single engine would have enough room for me, my Rotti, Schipperke and 4 Conures. Plus space for friends to bunk when I get visitors. I plan to invite everyone I know to join me for a few days as I am a little worried about loneliness.

So that is my story and I'm happy to be part of this group!

Liz

I grew up sailing in Montreal and there were always rowboats and canoes that my father bought and would paint bright yellow (so he could see us out on the lake.)

Currently I own a kayak and I'm trying to trade my '79 Corvette for a small boat and trailer to keep here at the house.

Some of my friends think I'm crazy to buy a boat and do the Loop when I don't know much about boating. However, how else do you learn something except for just going out and trying?

Just started reading Boat Search 101 ... I have so much to learn.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Ms. L. Fully agree with your last paragraph. Why wait for spring. Do it now. BUT!!!!!! Ya gotta do your homework. The Admiral and I transited the Trent/Severn many moons ago and actually stayed overnight at the Peterborough marina. That might be a good place to walk the docks and talk to cruisers. One suggestion that is very often offered is to rent a boat for a week or two. You live in a beautiful boating area. Might be something to consider...

I just did a very quick search for boat rentals on the T/S and most seemed to rent houseboats but perhaps if you call around you can find a cruiser being offered. I know there is at least one company on the Rideau system that rents small cruisers ( http://www.aylingsboatyard.com/default.htm)
Oops. Just remembered this one as well. New company with diesel cruisers: https://www.leboat.ca/en/vacations/destinations/canada/cruises

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Sounds like a great plan. Have a great time looking for your boat. Find some classes and take some boating safety classes.

Welcome to the party. I also am new here, and we just bought our first major boat. 40' Cheoy Lee LRC.
Now getting our house sold to start cruising.
Advice I received in our search was to get clear on what we needed to be comfortable, and how small a boat could we find which met or exceeded those criteria.
Our "must haves" included 6'4"+ headroom, centerline queen bed, solid construction, and in good mechanical shape.
Your list will vary, but it may be best to find an older boat that the Previous Owner (PO) has made most of the repairs and improvements you want.
One thing I noted in your post is that you want to singlehand the boat. You may want to talk to some insurance brokers about that, as we were not able to get insurance for our boat that allowed singlehanded operation. (What happens if you get ill / hurt, etc.)
You may also want to find a licenced captain to do some hands-on training on a boat like the ones you want. Also, there may be boating classes in your area from the Coast Guard, Power Squadron, or others.
You eventually will want to decide how much of the necessary maintenence and repair you will want to or need to do, and learn those skills.
There are many good books available, and the members here can point you to them, as they have for me.
Look online at a lot of boats, paying attention to interior layout, deck height (from dock) and ease of access to the deck and those areas where you will need to be to handle dock lines, engine room space, and food / comfort issues.
I often used search terms like "diesel boat, 34 - 45', price $xxxx to $yyyyy".
Good luck.

Find a boat with a bow thruster if single handling with one engine, less stress. Join the AGLCA fly the Burgee and you will never be lonely.

There's a big Loopers weekend event in Trent at the end of the month. If you want to lurk in that community join the AGLA. There will be a batch of them going through Peterborough over the next 8 weeks. I'm sure you could visit with many.

Welcome to the forum neighbour, we live in Bobcaygeon but keep the boat in Beaverton. Look us up if your in the area. Good luck with your plans. Getting ready is part of the fun of it all.

Liz,
I’d say do it! A day on the water always beats a day on land. You could certainly do it but single handing is more manageable more towards the 36’ range.
If you want to have some fun and check out many different kinds of trawlers, check out passagemaker.com and find a trawlerfest you can travel to in the northeast, it’s a great learning experience!

Checkout Canadian Power Squadron courses in your area.

My wife and I also came from kayak / canoeing and for the price you cannot beat their program, in my view. We took the classes before we purchased our boat and the knowledge gained was invaluable.

As a bonus you will meet lots of like minded people. The instructors are all volunteers and very enthusiastic (at least in our area).

Becoming a member also has lots of benefits....discounts, subscriptions, etc.

Good luck! Very envious of your loop plans....

Agree wholeheartedly

Checkout Canadian Power Squadron courses in your area.

My wife and I also came from kayak / canoeing and for the price you cannot beat their program, in my view. We took the classes before we purchased our boat and the knowledge gained was invaluable.

As a bonus you will meet lots of like minded people. The instructors are all volunteers and very enthusiastic (at least in our area).

Becoming a member also has lots of benefits....discounts, subscriptions, etc.

Good luck! Very envious of your loop plans....

Welcome and best of luck

I grew up sailing in Montreal and there were always rowboats and canoes that my father bought and would paint bright yellow (so he could see us out on the lake.)

Currently I own a kayak and I'm trying to trade my '79 Corvette for a small boat and trailer to keep here at the house.

Some of my friends think I'm crazy to buy a boat and do the Loop when I don't know much about boating. However, how else do you learn something except for just going out and trying?

Just started reading Boat Search 101 ... I have so much to learn.

Liz, hold that thought. As Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs used to say, when having a spontaneous jam on the old Any Griffith show, (if you're old enough to remember them), "just jump in, and hayang on..!"

Boating is a bit the same. Learn all you can from here and from reading books on the subject, but in the end yah just gotta get out there and do it. The learning and succeeding is the FUN..! :D

Welcome Liz. I am fairly new to owning a trawler after sailing for 25 years. Presently I am refurbishing a 34' Mainship with the intention of single handing the Big Loop starting here in Toronto.
I will leave next summer via the Trent Canal to the North Channel, then south from there.
This summer I will do a shake-down to Quinte and 1000 Islands, just to ensure I can handle the boat on my own under different conditions..
If you want to share your plans with someone who is doing the same thing,
PM me and I will reply.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom