Old 08-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Guru

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Hello from down da bayou

Hello everyone we are from Houma ,Louisiana mile marker 60 on the ICW. Houma is about 60 miles south west of New Orleans, yes there is land south of New Orleans. LOL Our new to us 45 Bluewater Coastal, M/V LUNASEA, has given us a little trouble on the few trips we have made, we made the decision to dry dock and do it the right way from paint to electronics. Thanks for all the help and ideas !!!!!
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #2

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
Welcome aboard...just right down the water way in Houston/Galveston
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Yep! Hello from Biloxi.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Welcome! I keep Gumbo at the Tropical Harbor Condo slips next to the Houma Civic Center.
Where are you keeping the Lunasea? Where will you haul her?
Old 08-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Welcome! I keep Gumbo at the Tropical Harbor Condo slips next to the Houma Civic Center.
Where are you keeping the Lunasea? Where will you haul her?
I have a slip at Marina Del Chauvin (David's Place) right next to you. The boat is at Dulac shipyard on Thompson Rd. been on bank for 2 months letting it dry out before we epoxy bottom. Gary's Yacht Bright is going to paint the entire boat then back in water an try again.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Kart racer

With my very deep roots in Louisiana let me say glad to have you aboard

Steve have you ever been to the old Laurel Valley museum in Thibodaux that was my great great grand fathers old place
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Welcome aboard from Florida!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #8
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Kartracer, that's good David has a real nice place there, we have enjoyed a few of his Wed. night suppers. Dulac Shipyard is where I have Gumbo hauled when needed, I've always had good reulsts with them. When you get Lunasea back let me know I'd like to have a look. If you ever want to take a look at Gumbo let me know, I'll put my contact details on your Private message section of your profile page.

Siesta Key, yes I know the Laurel Valley Museum and have brought my grandsons there they love the old sugar trains. I always worked I the sugar industry so know the sugar planation operations there also. One of my sisters, who was an artist, lived on the plantation in the 70s. Was your ancestor one of the Lapines or before?
Marina Jack is one of our favorite "must stop at" places on the Fl West Coast. Everything you need in walking distance and great restaurants.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #9

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
Welcome! I purchased my boat in Mandeville, Louisiana, great people and great food..
Attached Thumbnails
2013 02 04_merdian_1129d.jpg   2013 02 05_merdian_1088d.jpg   2013 02 05_merdian_1089.jpg   2013 02 05_merdian_1090d.jpg  
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
I know Mandeville well My Grandfather was born near
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Welcome! I purchased my boat in Mandeville, Louisiana, great people and great food..

Hey Pura Vida, we live about 40 miles east and have kept our boat in the area several times through the years. Ditto to the great food! Are you keeping her in Mandeville?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Welcome...since you know where the stumps are on those bayous can you post any warning of what to watch out for?
I can give a highway warning. Stay the hell out of Krotz Springs, La. I now drive from FL to TX using I20 so as to only expose myself to only 189 miles of Louisiana. Is there anything like that town that that patrols the waterways picking off sailors like they do motorist? I lost that nights battle, but the next day I won the war because: The officer violated the law when he stole my Texas Drivers license and I think the clincher was, to his boss "I am an old grey haired man with no record of any kind, I have no job, I can be anywhere because I have nowhere to be and I am not yet broke. I need a hobby. I think I will go to Baton Rouge and meet your AG, Caldwell and get to know members of the equivalent of the Texas Rangers that investigate municipal police departments." His answer, "That will not be necessary, I will FedEx your drivers license and the ticket no longer exist..."
Even though I won the war, I am extremely skittish about anything South Louisiana, so if you know any traps on the water, please speak up I cannot bring the boat gracefully to Texas without going through LA.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #13
Guru

What were you doing that they stopped you? With the name MULE an I 20 being a major dope avenue they may profiled you from the forum. LOL LOL When you travel to TX plan on stopping in Houma.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
Guru

Doing the short cut from 10 to 49 going west cuttin north at 1:30 am there are miles and miles of flat, flat, flat. Then out of nowhere a steep, very steep bridge appears. Speed limit is 65. One sign, no anticipating warning signs. Focused on bridge I topped it and he was sitting at the bottom trapping. He had me, 65 in a 45, his mistake was being insulting right off the bat. I shifted into my union representative mode to piss him off enough to make a mistake. I was very nice and respectful, overly so, sarcastically so, I was 20 mph over at 65 to 45. NO traffic at all on road. Judging from this officers behavior I think he was waaaay too much on edge. If I am a cop doing a late night stop, I would be relived to see a white haired white old man driving, our demographic do not shoot cops, and he had my record. Not him, he attacked immediately. My guess, he was holding down 2 jobs and running off uppers. Same symptoms I saw in Vietnam. I told his boss all of this, in writing. I think he had a problem and knew it. He ask for my written statements. One question begs to be answered. Why is a cop setting up shop for no reason at 1:30 am on a federal highway during the week in a town with population of 1200. Town has a rep of a speed trap town. Things turned out OK but still leaves a bad taste.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #15
Guru

Mule was it state police or local? I too have a problem with locals setting up shop on interstate highways.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #16
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Local cops. It's a little town, and it has always been like that.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #17
Guru

Mean Barney local cop with an attitude and no sense.

US 190 cuts the corner between I-10 and I-49, shaves off a few miles. Mostly 4 lane. Were it not after midnight I would not have done it, but I thought, no traffic....well, there was 1more out there than I needed. Like I said, I now go north through Mississippi and Alabama cross into LA at Vicksburg on 20. Set the cruise at 73, right lane , don't stop until the 189 miles are done. Speed limits in Monroe and Shreveport. Even if you want to speed in Shreveport you can't, roads too bad.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #18
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
I take that shortcut all the time, just have to beware of Krotz Springs & Port Barre, got tickets in both. The Krotz Springs deal is tricky, its 55mph from Livonia to the Atchafalaya River (your big bridge Mule) and then drops to 45 at the top of the big bridge, which is where the cops zap you w/ radar. From Krotz its 65mph to Port Barre, but drops to 45 when entering the town, which is where they get you. Once you hit I49, speed limit is 75 which is the new 79. Lessons learned the hard way.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote