Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanbh Cailin View Post
Greg took the Lady Sara to Florida to sell here there. Felt like he would have an easier time selling her. He hated doing it but he had had problems with the Lady Sara since he got her.
I know what you mean, it became kind of a dock joke that there were guys from GP and other providers there every day, for two years that we've been there at least, kind of like the painter on Murphy Brown. We got to know one of the GP guys pretty well, it was really his full time job. Gorgeous boat. Any plans to replace?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #22

City: Beard Creek, North Carolina
Hello, I am Bob Fuller and my wife and I have out Outer Reef Trawler docked at Beard Creek. We are new to the area and are looking for some cruising partners. I can be reached on my cell at 919-606-6371. Hope to hear from you.

Bob Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #23

City: New Bern, N.C.
Vessel Name: Leanbh Cailin
Vessel Model: 1990 48' Ocean
Not sure what he plans to do.......it was a beautiful boat but I think it kind of wore him out. Not sure if he is going ot get another or not.
Leanbh Cailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Bob. Welcome aboard.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #25
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fuller View Post
Hello, I am Bob Fuller and my wife and I have out Outer Reef Trawler docked at Beard Creek. We are new to the area and are looking for some cruising partners. I can be reached on my cell at 919-606-6371. Hope to hear from you.
How do you get a trawler into Beard Creek? Isn't that next to Camp Seafarer?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
How do you get a trawler into Beard Creek? Isn't that next to Camp Seafarer?
+2. I never ventured in there because the soundings looked way too skinny for my 5' draft.

However, if you want to join in sometime, or just like some guidance, we'd be happy to introduce you to the great cruising grounds within one or two days of you... or beyond when you are ready.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 03-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #27
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Wow.....talk about some quick responses.......Thanks to everyone for making us feel right at home. Our vessel has the 3126 Cats on board 300hp. My family has the Cat dealership here in NC so hopefully we won't have any problems, but owning anything other than Cats is not a good thing when as a child we used to go to IHOP and scatch out the word International on the menu.......kind of brain washed I guess......we will be keeping her at Northwest Creek.
Welcome to the forum, I have a friend who purchased 430 last year he is refitting to do the loop in Oct. planning on taking 2 years. His has another brand of power. I worked for IH years ago & our parts dept had about $200,000.00 in parts Dean the local cat dealer had about $2,000,000.00 + a Cat warehouse about 10 miles away. Never understood how we ever sold anything. Good luck with the new boat.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #28

City: Beard Creek, North Carolina
Getting our boat into Beard Creek has worked fine give the draft of 2.5'. It is a tricky weave around the channel markers at the neck and then hugging the eastern shore line. Camp Seafarer is down at Minnesot.
Looking forward to connect with the group this season. I will post a picture of Little Toot when I figure out the format. Bob
Bob Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #29
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fuller View Post
Getting our boat into Beard Creek has worked fine give the draft of 2.5'. It is a tricky weave around the channel markers at the neck and then hugging the eastern shore line. Camp Seafarer is down at Minnesot.
Looking forward to connect with the group this season. I will post a picture of Little Toot when I figure out the format. Bob
We know that we can get a Carolina Skiff up there also but the boat this gentlemen is driving is a 43 Mainship and it drafts 4'+. With the wind blowing with any form of a west factor that makes Beard Creek skinny for your 2.5' boat as well. Least of all a 4'+ draft. Doesn't it?

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #30
Guru

When Bob said he had an Outer Reef trawler, i was imagining one of the big ones made with that brand name over the last 10 years. Now I'm curious as to what the boat is and what it looks like!

We are getting a nice quorum of locals here to perhaps justify a group (no rafting please!) anchor out somewhere like Ocracoke, South River, Cape Lookout, or any of the other fine anchorages within 50 miles or so of Oriental? I used Oriental as it is the most central vis New Bern, Morehead City, Washington, etc. Our boat accommodates 20 or 30 people easily, we've had as many as a dozen dinghys tied up to her.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #31
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
We are getting a nice quorum of locals here to perhaps justify a group (no rafting please!) anchor out somewhere like Ocracoke, South River, Cape Lookout, or any of the other fine anchorages within 50 miles or so of Oriental? I used Oriental as it is the most central vis New Bern, Morehead City, Washington, etc. Our boat accommodates 20 or 30 people easily, we've had as many as a dozen dinghys tied up to her.
Let's do something sometime in the spring. South River is always nice.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Cochrane, Alberta
Vessel Name: Painters Cove
Vessel Model: 1997 Bayliner 5788
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
Leanbh Cailin --- Unique boat name -- I googled it to find it's Gaelic for "Baby Girl"

Nice.
Might be interesting listening to the radio conversations??
Bob
weebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
We are getting a nice quorum of locals here to perhaps justify a group (no rafting please!) anchor out somewhere.
You guys do have a great group of locals. Some time back Al(FlyWright) started a social group for those of us in SF Bay and Delta that has worked out wonderfully for us. (Thank you Al) I noticed Walt(Seahorse II) has started one for San Diego recently.

One of you guys might think of starting one soon? The real benifit that I've noticed is some folks don't check all the forum posts but when posted to the group meet ups won't get lost in the forum. I think that's why our meet ups are so succesful.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/groups/

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #34
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I noticed Walt (Seahorse II) has started one for San Diego recently.
Apparently we don't have any other trawler types in San Diego as my group has been stuck at 2. (Me and SKnapp. )
We have several great places for anchoring, rafting or overnight slips, within a 1 hour cruise from Harbor or Shelter Island & these are all in the Bay! Then, there's marina hopping up the SoCal coast and none of the marinas are more than 25-30 miles between them. Come on, you guys and gals!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #35

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
Never mind Walt.... here on Lake Ontario, we don't seem to have anyone joining in a group!
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
You guys do have a great group of locals. Some time back Al(FlyWright) started a social group for those of us in SF Bay and Delta that has worked out wonderfully for us. (Thank you Al) I noticed Walt(Seahorse II) has started one for San Diego recently.

One of you guys might think of starting one soon? The real benifit that I've noticed is some folks don't check all the forum posts but when posted to the group meet ups won't get lost in the forum. I think that's why our meet ups are so succesful.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/groups/
If you need some more recruits, there is a pretty good group of posters over on the Delta forum on BoaterEd.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #37

Well to let everyone know.....we did not close on the Mainship.......didn't have enough room for the wife and it would not be any fun at all living on a boat that she wouldn't be happy with. But an offer has been submitted on another boat with all the room she needs and that offer has been accepted......so we won't have a trawler but a motoryacht. Still going to cruise her and do some trveling up and down the ICW. Hope to hear from all of you.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #38
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
But an offer has been submitted on another boat with all the room she needs and that offer has been accepted......so we won't have a trawler but a motoryacht. Still going to cruise her and do some trveling up and down the ICW. Hope to hear from all of you.
What kind???? Don't leave us hanging!!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #39

I don't want to say anything to jinx the sale......but it has 3 staterooms.....twin Detroits......and everything she will need to be comfortable.......Only problem I may have is the length of the finger piers at NWCM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Kent Narrows, MD
Vessel Name: Doctail
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa 42
We are thinking of New Bern next winter as an alternative to winterizing and staying in the Chesapeake. We are going to drive down in April and have a look around.

Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote