Hello from Montreal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbie

Vessel Name
E.E.S.
Vessel Make
38' Northumberland
Hi All,
I'm Robbie, although I'm in Montreal area at present, I'm planning my retirement for this coming spring and moving to Newfoundland, as soon as I'm settled I will be on the hunt for a boat to do some fishing, cruising and photography.
I spent yesterday browsing through some threads here on the forum, I was amazed how much useful info I was able to pick-up.

I'm sure I will have a bucket full of questions to ask concerning which makes of boat are a good bet for an old guy like me on a limited budget, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty handy with most things mechanical, I've been working on aircraft my entire career.

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon.

Robbie.

Welcome Robbie, you shouldn't have any problem finding a boat between Montreal and NFLD. I looked at dozens last fall along the Gaspe. Good luck and have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_0722 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0722 (Large).jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG-20120821-00020 (Large).jpg
    IMG-20120821-00020 (Large).jpg
    172 KB · Views: 94
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome.

Alan, I hadn't thought of searching along the Gaspe area, the boat in the 2nd pic, although I'm good enough yet to ID the maker, is exactly what I will be looking for, I can just make out Sorel on the stern, that's a fairly close area for me to visit.

Should be quite an adventure steaming over to the NE of NL

Robbie.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome.

Alan, I hadn't thought of searching along the Gaspe area, the boat in the 2nd pic, although I'm good enough yet to ID the maker, is exactly what I will be looking for, I can just make out Sorel on the stern, that's a fairly close area for me to visit.

Should be quite an adventure steaming over to the NE of NL

Robbie.

Hey Robbie, that boat was actually in a yard in Riviere du Renard. I got the back of her as well. Hasn't been in the water for a couple years apparently but there are a lot of boats along the whole coast and you get a nice drive looking. Not sure if you are a singles guy or a twin screw guy but if you ask on TF you are sure to get some opinions :facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG-20120821-00021 (Large).jpg
    IMG-20120821-00021 (Large).jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 87
Thanks Alan,

I have plenty of mooring space at my new place.

374.jpg
Cabin 007.jpg
pic14902.jpg
$T2eC16N,!ysE9sy0hYbjBQ7ZD(KN3!~~48_20.JPG

Fingers crossed this works, I've never attached a pic before

Robbie.

Hi Elwin,

The town is called Jackson's arm, up in the North East.

I'm not over there yet, I still have to sell my farm in Quebec.

Robbie.

Welcome to this forum, you will find lots of your questions will have some kind of direction or answered here.

Actually you are not too far from Springdale, my home port. Maybe someday we'll meet up. Retirement for me is about 5yrs out and like most Newfies I'm one of them out trying to keep Alberta going in the right direction since most of the work home is just about done.

Welcome to this forum, you will find lots of your questions will have some kind of direction or answered here.

Actually you are not too far from Springdale, my home port. Maybe someday we'll meet up. Retirement for me is about 5yrs out and like most Newfies I'm one of them out trying to keep Alberta going in the right direction since most of the work home is just about done.

Hi Elwin,
Sprindale is very close, it would be nice to meet you some day!.

I'm buying from a retired couple, the guy was a marine engineer all his life, he's determined to find me a diesel powered boat at the right price, there's nothing like real experience, so I'll bow to his knowledge, once I mentioned a "gas" powered vessel that I had seen for sale, oh boy he nearly bit my head off...well I think he did, I'm afraid my "Newfinese" isn't very good yet.

Hope you're stashing plenty of that Alberta cash away for your retirement?.

ATB
Robbie.

Haha.. It won't take long to pick up Newfinese lol.

Ya most of the fellows around home will steer you towards a Cape Islander style boat with a single diesel engine or that seems to be the most popular. Coming out from Jackson's Arm into White Bay ya want something that is reliable and can take a beating from the North East Winds. The best advice is from the Locals so they'll steer you in the right direction.

Attachments

• Cape Islander.jpg
    Cape Islander.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 101
Hi Elwin,
Yes I've seen dozens of single diesel Cape's for sale, they are mostly FG over wood, I assume they are built that way?, I need to decide on what length of boat I can safely handle on my own, as you can see from the pictures there's no tight spaces to squeeze into at my mooring, and as it was the old ferry landing across the bay, I'm told there's plenty of depth.
I had my eye on a wooden Gutherie:
Midcoast Yacht & Ship Brokerage (Tenants Harbor, ME)

But after reading some post here, I'm having second thoughts on a "woody", this will be the first large boat I've owned, so I need to be sensible.

I hope we can meet up when you're home some day.

Robbie

I hear your concern but I bet there are more glass over wood boats on the island than any other kind. Most of the old fishermen will tell you that is the best/strongest boat for their style of fishing and those that like their boats for pleasure feel safer in them.

I prefer the manufactured full glass boats.

Attachments

• IMG_2056.jpg
    IMG_2056.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 88
Hi All,
I'm Robbie, although I'm in Montreal area at present, I'm planning my retirement for this coming spring and moving to Newfoundland, as soon as I'm settled I will be on the hunt for a boat to do some fishing, cruising and photography.
I spent yesterday browsing through some threads here on the forum, I was amazed how much useful info I was able to pick-up.

I'm sure I will have a bucket full of questions to ask concerning which makes of boat are a good bet for an old guy like me on a limited budget, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty handy with most things mechanical, I've been working on aircraft my entire career.

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon.

Robbie.

Hello Robbie,
I m also a newbie from Quebec city. Just got my boat in last september. I guess you can imagine how i wish the ice to finaly melt ! Good luck with your hunting

Bonjour Pierre,
Bienvenu a le forum, that's about all I can manage in French!.

Yes it's been a bad winter here, I sold my tractor last year hoping that the farm would sell, so I am unable to move the snow, just my luck!!.

That's a really nice boat, you must looking forward to ice-out so that you can take her out for a cruise?.

Regards

Robbie.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom