Old 03-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #1

City: Grosse Ile
41' Mainship-1989

I am thinking about buying a 41' Mainship, 1989 Double cabin. This will be my first boat. Boat is in excellent shape with 600hrs original hours on boat. They are asking $50,000 My wife thinks it is a little bit big for a first boat. I am new to this forum as well. My questions are: Is it too big for a first boat? Do you think the asking price is fair. Thanks
transamf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
First of all, welcome.

Is it too big? First decide why you are buying the boat. What is its mission? Can you accomplish the mission with a smaller boat? Many folks started out with first boats larger than that but most do not.

As far as asking price we would need to see the boat itself. My first impression is it sounds like a project boat. But it could be that it's an exceptionally motivated seller... A surveyor, hired by you, can help you decide.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Guru

1989 Mainship 41 Double Cabin Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Would this perhaps be the boat?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 03-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #4

Thank You for the welcome. I would be using the boat on the Great lakes for weekend and week long cruises and a getaway type thing. I just sold a cottage that I had for years so this would like be a replacement for that. I know nothing about boats or boating, but I am starting to learn alot. Just enrolled in a boating safety class, so thats a start. The boat is very clean and looks well taken care of. The boat is out of the water, still snow on the ground here. If I pursue this further I will get it surveyed. Can any one point me to a website that can educate me as to the quality of Mainship boats. I checked NADA guides and retail ranged from $43500 to $49265

Since I am new to boating and this forum I have many questions. Thanks again for your warm welcome. Hope to boating by May 1st.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #5

That's the one
Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Hi Craig,

From the listing, What do you think?

Bob
Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Guru

The gas engines explain my initial reaction to the seemingly lowish asking price. Nothing inherently wrong with them IMO, my boat is a gasser, just go in with your eyes wide open. Again, get a survey.

Yacht Survey Online: David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor

The above link will take you to the David Pascoe website. Not sure that anything "Mainship specific" will be there but it is good meat and potato's reading for anyone seriously interested in boats. He is pretty opinionated and caution against treating everything as though it was gospel but it'll give you a good head start in research.

Fair warning though, the difference between a boat and a cottage is the cottage will appreciate in value, boats are depreciating assets that demand lots of maintenance. Translation, money eaters. Lot's of fun though too.

As to my opinion of the boat itself, I have none. Boats come in every shape and model for a reason. It's what you think of it after researching your options that matters. Talk to your insurance company and ask them about the boat and find out what they will require. Their needs vary by company and may require you to be checked out by a licensed captain prior to going solo. Chartering a boat for a week will tell you more about your wants and desires than anything else you can do. Get away from the snow and head to Florida and charter for a week and you may find this boat will not work for you. Then again you may find it perfect too.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
Guru

Just based on the pictures, it appears to be a good value. After reading your first post, I was sure it was a project boat based on size and price. The boat appears to be well maintained. The price is probably low because IMO gassers of this size are very hard to sell as most people interested in 40 footers are looking for diesel powered vessels.

Good and bad: This boat would serve as a great replacement for your cottage as it is roomy for it's size, but the problem for me is that it also looks like one (a cottage that is). But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote