Old 03-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #1

City: Fort Worth
Hello from Landlocked Fort Worth

I have been lurking and learning for about six months and wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great information that has been posted. We will be retiring next year and hope to be able to join the trawler owners club within a couple years after that. We have been to the Fort Lauderdale and Miami boat shows and are trying to make it to the Anacotes show. Until I will contiue to lurk and learn
Half Share is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Good evening half share. If you could please take some pictures and share of the boat shows. I'm a slave to the woodie and haven't made it to a boat show in years.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Welcome!

We lived in Dallas for many years and I worked in Arlington and Ft Worth. We belonged to the Fort Worth Boat Club up on Eagle Mountain Lake for awhile, a beautiful facility and a fun place to go day sailing or just have a meal and hang out. Still have my Longhorn burgee..

We did a lot of chartering while we too were landlocked there, in SF, PNW and Florida. Had a lot of fun and when it became time to buy a boat and go cruising, we knew just what we wanted. We felt boat shows were a complete waste of time until we knew what it was we were looking for, after having actually cruised several types and sizes of boats for several days at a time. Now that I think of it, we didn't go to a single boat show before we bought our boat. We were still living in Dallas when we did. Sold the house in Preston Hollow, had an estate sale for 80% of our stuff, and off to sea we went.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Welcome, I agree on the chartering first. There are some good charter companies and cruising grounds in South West Florida, not too far from you.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Welcome, I agree on the chartering first. There are some good charter companies and cruising grounds in South West Florida, not too far from you.
Actually, the PNW is almost equidistant from DFW as South Florida, maybe an hour of flying time difference if that. We alternated. Los Angeles and Miami are the same. New York and San Francisco are the same, and Boston and Seattle are the same. My two million miles on American with almost no international learnt me that, as they say down thataway.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
But it's warm in Florida!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Guru

Too warm in the summer, and the PNW has 1000X more cruising destinations and 10X the beauty. And we LOVE cruising in SW Florida!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #9

City: Fort Worth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
We do plan on chartering multiple times before buying. We have a place in Destin so they will make it easier. I have already learned a lot and picked up some great tips and thigs to look for by following the forum.
Half Share is offline   Reply With Quote