Hello from the Idlewild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Idlewild

Hi my name is Tom, my wife is Lesley. We own a 1994, 38' Marine Trader double cabin. We are in the process of fixup, maintenance, and upgrading and will be looking for some helpful suggestions from this experienced group. Thanks for letting us join.

Tom

Heyguys, welcome to the forum. Get some pictures of your MT up for us to ogle!

Hi Everybody
I'm Eric , from So. Oregon, and new to Trawlers. I'm in the process of shoppng for my first one. The list gets smaller, then bigger, then smaller. I'll have alot of stupid question to ask .

Hmmm. I'm not sure that piggybacking an introduction on top of someone else's introduction is quite kosher! (Just kidding. :)

Welcome aboard to both of you, and hope to hear from you in the future. Far too many people seem to come on here, introduce themselves, say how much they are looking forward to participating -- and then, nada! Never see a post from them again! You just have to wonder what happened. Boat sink?

John

Welcome Eric!
Good luck in your search!

Tom,

I am just down the river from you in Groton. We had an 15 year adventure with a fixer upper and did everything from stringers to fuel tank repair. I would be happy to speak boat project with you.

Rob

Stringer replacement, I've had nightmares about that, tell us more

Stringer replacement, I've had nightmares about that, tell us more

Baggi,

We have one more week of our summer cruise. The pictures are on my other computer. Will post when we get home.

The gist was bad stringers.
1. Lay the sawzall along the hull with a long blade and cut the old ones out. 2. Grind the glass clean.
3. Laminate three layers of 3/4" plywood with staggered joints.
4. Bond in place with vinylester bonding compound
5. Glass over all with three layers of cloth in vinylester resin.

That was 4 stringers 2 about 14' long, 2 8 ish feet long. Did the same under the fuel tanks when I removed them to repair leaks.
Had replaced the stringers forward of the engine room years earlier. In all, we that is to say I replaced all the stringers on our 37' (former) trawler.

Don't buy a cheap boat.

Rob

Welcome aboard

Back
Top Bottom