Hello Everyone - great forum you have here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hurry Knot

After years of lurking, I've finally registered and got up the nerve to post. What a wonderful site filled with knowledgeable and delightful folks living the dream! (or hoping to one day)

Over the past few years my nightly ritual has been to read up on cruising and "shop" yachtworld religiously. I've done the loop virtually several times by following blogs and following along on Google Earth to find the anchorages mentioned. It's such a fascinating lifestyle and I'm envious (in a good way) those who are living it. Congrats! I hope to be there one day.

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know squat. I have tons of questions but I'll try not to overwhelm you in my first post.

I think my vessel of choice will be a single engine 36-40ft trawler with as many big ticket upgrades recently done as possible. Bow/stern thruster a plus. Doors on port and starboard also a plus. I'm looking for something economical to operate which is why I think I want a single engine Lehman.

I guess my first question is this - is there a huge difference between owning/operating a 36 vs 40/41 single engine? (besides the cost to dock)

I seem to favor the Defever. Is there a large quality difference between Defever and the Taiwanese boats?

Here are two examples of boats I really really like:

1981 MMC/Defever Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1982 Chung Hwa 38' Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

What type of loan options are there on boats like this? Has anyone had any success in owning a boat like this with another couple?

We hope to eventually be traveling the ICW on the gulfcoast and to be home ported anywhere between Pascagoula MA to Panama City, FL. It would be lots of years before we'd become full time cruisers and branch out.

Is there an advantage to being home ported in a marina vs owning a remote piece of land with a dock and eventual access to the ICW?

Sorry for the delay in approving your post. They are automatically tagged as suspicious when the very first post has a hotlink in it. Welcome aboard!!

Do not rule out those Pilgrim 40's for an economical cruiser equipped with a bow thruster

I guess my first question is this - is there a huge difference between owning/operating a 36 vs 40/41 single engine? (besides the cost to dock)

No not really.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to favor the Defever. Is there a large quality difference between Defever and the Taiwanese boats?

Older used boats probable not. Their present condition and how maintained is more important.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What type of loan options are there on boats like this?

Usually they will loan 75% to 80% of the appraised value. Most banks have an approved list of surveyors so best to use one they approve. I would talk to bank/finance before you make an offer on a boat. Get preapproved so you know how much they will loan to you. Boat loan are a lot harder and dirt loan. They can also help you with an acceptable offer.

Also check out insurance as that can get expensive and they will also give you what they will insure the boat for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone had any success in owning a boat like this with another couple?

Not a good idea. Unless you are the couple that does not care a dam about the boat, and let other couple foot the majority of the expense.

We hope to eventually be traveling the ICW on the gulfcoast and to be home ported anywhere between Pascagoula MA to Panama City, FL. It would be lots of years before we'd become full time cruisers and branch out. Is there an advantage to being home ported in a marina vs owning a remote piece of land with a dock and eventual access to the ICW?

It depends on the length of time, the piece of land, and what its zoned for. Zoning is a big issue. We look at it and felt it was an addition amount sunk in the owning the boat. But we where not expecting to own living on the boat for 17 years.

Last edited:
Phil, thanks for the info. Living aboard for 17 years? Impressive!

Marin - thanks but the link doesn't appear to work?

Marin, that link worked. Wow - great read - thanks.

I bet it was an exciting time back then in Taiwan during that boat building boom. Hence all the chaos of sticking a name on them and getting them out the door.

Do not rule out those Pilgrim 40's for an economical cruiser equipped with a bow thruster

Love the layout of the Pilgrim 40 - and the economy. The price - well that's a little north of what I have in mind!

Great article Marin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom