Hello from Coomera Queensland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arafura II

Vessel Make
Barry Hughes Millcraft custom timber cruiser
Hi Everybody.

I am very new to boating and have recently purchased a 47 foot timber flybridge cruiser and am living aboard.

my long term plans are to cruise up and down the east coast of Australia after I gain more experience in local waters.

I am a truck driver by trade I drive B doubles and Road trains and can pick up work as i travel up and down the coast.

Arafura is powered by a Gardner 6LX so is very economical and also has a 10 Kva northern lights generator she carries 2000 Liters of fuel and 2000 liters of water and is built to survey and registered as a ship and weighs 30 ton.

I have been browsing this forum for years dreaming of owning a cruiser there is so much to learn.

G`day Arafura and welcome.

There are a few of us scattered along the east coast - we are in the Redlands so not far away. Your boat sounds like a classic - built by Millcraft gives it a great pedigree. I know we all would like to see some photos....

Cheers and once again welcome

George

Thanks for the reply here are some pics.

1_4.jpg

2_4.jpg

3_4.jpg

4_4.jpg

6_4.jpg

10_4.jpg

11_4.jpg

12_4.jpg

14_4.jpg

15_4.jpg

Welcome aboard! You are starting right - nice sized boat, great engine and perfect for intended use.

I berth at Kangaroo Point in the city, but do get to the Gold Coast City Marina at Coomera to get work done from time to time. Prob there is Feb-Mar.

Another hello and welcome from another in SE Queensland. Lovely boat, for sure. Where are you based, by the way..?
My Lotus is berthed, (usually, anyway, but that's another story), not far from you, at Horizon Shores Marina. Your boat looks an ideal vessel for your intended purpose. In fact you should touch base with Benn of Tidahapah, one of his posts seen here...
( http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...rt-vic-49ft-mclaren-timber-trawler-11737.html), who has a similar timber vessel also powered by a Gardner, and who does coastal trips in her just like you described. He works over on an oil rig tender off WA when not in Tidahapah. He would be a mine of information.

Ok, so you guys want to hear about that other story...ok, it might help to talk about it, as I'm still in pain...:facepalm:

It all began when we went to go out for my birthday on Wednesday, 3rd Jan, for a 4 day cruise. We hadn't gone out for quite a while, because Lotus is still on the market, so we were really looking forward to it. For once the preparation went really well - nothing forgotten - everything checked out fine. :whistling: Water tanks topped up. Extra 100L diesel in the week before, so no dramas on leaving. From there it all went pear-shaped...

Just as we were pulling in to the first anchorage, over at the northern huts on Canaipa Passage, just 1/2 a k north of the junction with Fisherman’s Passage, the motor died. :nonono: There had been no warning. All readings were good. Plenty of fuel. If I pumped the lift pump a few seconds she would re-start run well for about 20 seconds, then die again. First time ever in the whole 15 years we’ve owned her. Had to get a tow back by VMR Jacobs Well. Guess what. Being on the market we had let the sub lapse - had to pay full cost of the tow back = $520 - ouch! :eek:

And that’s before we have her fixed. The marine mechanic agrees it probably is fuel lift pump failure. Oh well. Another item that shouldn’t fail any new owner. That’s if we come up with one - new owner that is. Just as well we were not out on a sea trial, eh? Wouldn’t have gone down well. :blush:
Just typical it happened on my birthday as well. Last year going to a movie for my birthday, I got pinged doing 67km in a 60 zone I thought was 70. That cost $181 - bad enough.
I’m declaring all future birthdays null and void. :mad:

Hope you all had a better one…
Pete B

Welcome aboard! You are starting right - nice sized boat, great engine and perfect for intended use.

I berth at Kangaroo Point in the city, but do get to the Gold Coast City Marina at Coomera to get work done from time to time. Prob there is Feb-Mar.

So, you've moved from Rivergate Marina then Brian..?

So, you've moved from Rivergate Marina then Brian..?

Pete
I'm at Dockside and have been for several years now. I was only at Rivergate for about a month, straight after importing/unloading in Brisbane. I then went to Newport for about 6 months. Its one of the cheapest marinas in Brisbane, but once we moved house it was just too far away. I'm only about 3km from Dockside, so more often than not just ride the bicycle down there.

Sorry to hear about your birthday dramas. The VMR sting hurts! I'm with Coastguard instead. At least they offer service up along the coast as part of the membership. With VMR all their bases are seperate, so being a member in your home area is not that much benefit, in normal circumstances. Fine to give up future birthdays. If you have figured out how to stop the clock from ticking over each year let me know. I'm not at all in favour of getting old, dodgy knees are disrupting my skiing!

Hi Arafura,

Nice looking Milkraft, you will have a lot of good times with that boat.

I am based at RQ in Manly, but sometimes have work done at Boatworks at Coomera (Beluga is there right now, as it happens)!

Hamish.

Welcome Aboard Arafura 2. Looks like a well kept much pre-loved vessel. Hope you enjoy your boat and your time on TF.

Happy Birthday Peter, despite the events.
In NSW,apart from the subscription service 24Assist in Sydney, the voluntary "Marine Rescue" provides assistance. I`m told they will seek "gratuities" but they are part funded by a levy on various State issued marine licenses. The unkind call them "Dad`s Army" after the old British TV series; father and son Bayliner 4588 owners on our marina recently joined as rescue personnel and are learning and enjoying.

Welcome, that is one beautiful boat you have!
When I was working, selling Sugar Cane harvesters, I visited your area, from Brisbane to Cairns, several times. Great country and very nice people. Sadly the only boating I did was a fishing trip on the reef, I believe it was out of Townsville we did catch some nice fish, Coral Trout I think they were called.

I'm with Coastguard instead. At least they offer service up along the coast as part of the membership.

Interesting, didn't even know it existed.
I can see how it would be the thing to have for smaller vessels but for the likes of you and me I can't imagine them doing a tow if needed........or would they?

Interesting, didn't even know it existed.
I can see how it would be the thing to have for smaller vessels but for the likes of you and me I can't imagine them doing a tow if needed........or would they?

Here's a link
https://coastguard.com.au/

I'm a member of QF2, and they have a couple of cats over 9m and a larger vessel as well I believe, although that's not listed in their Resources at present. It costs next to nothing to join. I like that I have 'rights' with the other 24 bases along the Qld coast. If I needed a tow they could do it, and i"d be happy to make a donation if I need a tow, even though it would not be necessary.

Back in the 80's I was a skipper with one of the local VMR bases, and I recall the Coastguard being in place then as well. Actually, I think they got started in the 1960's.

Last edited:
Welcome, Arafura.
Beautiful boat! I'm envious of the space in your engine room.

Welcome Arafura2!

A beautiful and spacious boat and a nice engine, whether he is single or twins?

NBS

Thanks for all the responses.

As I said i am very new to boating and timber boats an TF has been a wealth of information over the years leading up to my purchase

I am still very nervous berthing her as she is single screw with no thrusters however I am lucky enough to have a blow on berth with no neighbour so I have some room for error and if if the wind is bad or I'm unsure the staff at the marina said they would happily assist.

Was there a selling broker involved? Looks like the kind of boat Anchorline or maybe Jim Stuart get to list. I`m sure most selling brokers would happily assist with handling issues. We enlisted the help of a local delivery skipper/shipwright to iron out some docking issues.

Where are you berthed, Arafura..? Coomera Waters, Hope Harbour, Gold Coast City Marina, or Sanctuary Cove..?

I am at Gold Coast city marina Moor and store. Nice spot

You can always get a bow and/or stern thruster installed down the track if manoeuvring proves tricky. Lots of good shipwrights at GCCM where you are, and also next door to you at Boatworks.

I have used two of the shipwrights at Boatworks, namely OceanDegree and also Russell Salisbury. Both have been excellent, and fair price for top quality work.

H.

Where are you berthed, Arafura..? Coomera Waters, Hope Harbour, Gold Coast City Marina, or Sanctuary Cove..?
Now there`s a local with single engine no thruster docking skills!

Welcome from another Aussie. Though Sydney based we're now in the last week of a 5 week Moreton Bay visit....at Jumpinpin right now enjoying fabulous weather. Moreton & N Stradbroke were wonderful & we had a great week pre Christmas at Manly thanks to a recommendation from Insequent. You have a world class cruising ground on your doorstep.

Thanks Aquabelle glad you are enjoying your trip we moved up here from Newcastle 3 weeks ago so have a lot of exploring to do.

Coming in late on this, but a hearty welcome. The boat looks like a cracker, love the layout, and a Gardner to boot! Lucky you.

Pete ,sorry to hear of your travails............if only you had twins. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom