Hello All - Opinions Wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

panelman01

Hello To All -
My 1st post. What a great forum.

Background
Born and raised on the Jersey shore. Boats were always a part of my life. Boat styles varied from 18' Boston Whalers to 36' offshore center console fishing boats to Morgan sailboats to.... but; never a trawler.... never a true sport fishing boat ( Hatteras Post etc ).... We currently spend about a month each per year on our current boat so we understand close quarters, marina life, etc... My son and I currently split responsibilities based on our skill sets; electrical = me, mechanical = him. We never needed a mechanic or electrician for anything to date. And we have torn out and rebuilt our own motors, outdrives, etc...

What we are considering
Locate a boat for sale and place it somewhere in the keys. We have both spent time on rented and borrowed smaller boats ( mainly center consoles ) in the keys and love it. We have both spent time on rented and borrowed smaller boats ( mainly center consoles ) in the Bahamas and love it. We are looking for a boat that will give us a floating 2nd home that can be moved between the keys and the Bahamas as we see fit.

The opinion wanted
I like the idea of trawler. I like the range and the economy of transit. I like the space. I would probably miss the ability to get up on plane and get moving. My son likes a traditional sport fisher or cruiser. The space is still there and it has the speed ability; but he realizes the cost to keep it "on plane". So the question is - has anyone ever done a thread about the "pros and cons" of these two distinct boat types for the keys / Bahamas area?

All the best.

PS - Since I am semi technically computer Amish... If this subject has already been covered, I apologize and will take a polite redirect to it.

Thanks again.

I think that question was covered recently, but don't let that stop you ;-).

But be aware that there are some here with very traditional views of what is a "trawler", ie a displacement speed, low powered, trawler looking boat. And there are others like me who see "trawler" as more of a lifestyle thing that can be accomplished in a lot of boats.

There is nothing wrong IMO with a boat that has lots of living space, but also has the power to go 15 kts or better when you want to. Perhaps you should consider the Bayliner "trawler" types, the 4588 or 4788 if you like size or the 38xx for a smaller one.

The Mainship line also has boats that can go 15 kts such as the twin engine 40 or 43.

David

Every boat is a compromise. It really comes down to what compromises you are willing to live within the how and where you want to use the boat. You are obviously very familiar with the areas you will primarily be boating in, Bahamas and the Keys, to have a sense of what features you would like and what limitations there might be.

What is your current boat and how does it fail to meet what you see as your future requirements? What are it's shortcomings?

I like the idea of trawler. I like the range and the economy of transit. I like the space. I would probably miss the ability to get up on plane and get moving. My son likes a traditional sport fisher or cruiser. The space is still there and it has the speed ability; but he realizes the cost to keep it "on plane". So the question is - has anyone ever done a thread about the "pros and cons" of these two distinct boat types for the keys / Bahamas area?

Enjoy the hunt! Be aware the word "trawler" is more of a "marketing term cum concept" and actual boats that might qualify are all over the map, design-wise.

FWIW, we run a "sportfish" sorta boat (see avatar). Doesn't use much fuel when we putter along at 7-8 knots... and we do that a lot.

Most "trawlers" of similar size have more interior and/or enclosable space than we do, even counting our enclosed bridge.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom